CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

1313233343537»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    The main point was about the substantial drop in medals forecast, folks.
    It was predicted here, 2 years ago with the forced re-structuring of coaching regimes, after various self-interest groups got involved.

Taking a page at random.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13076891&start=940
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    edited July 2019
    Delete
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Ah yes, because the Olympics has always been all about the medal haul at the end of the day.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Ah yes, because the Olympics has always been all about the medal haul at the end of the day.

Until they change the way these sports are funded, they are.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

It might not have been the Olympic ideal but it's pretty much what it's about now. Even looking beyond the base level bragging rights and 'national pride' you are far more likely to improve uptake of a sport that is seen to be successful. The taking part is great and I'm sure we've all enjoyed watching Eddie the Eagle or Eric the Eel but I doubt many were inspired to take up ski jumping or swimming by them.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,148
    gsk82 wrote:
    Also the BBC making a point of their being more female, than male athletes expected for the first time, at these Olympics. Should it not matter?

Its not equality until there's no men.

Or at least no hetrosexual white men

On this day, of all days, you two come out with this tosh. Tw@ts.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Also the BBC making a point of their being more female, than male athletes expected for the first time, at these Olympics. Should it not matter?

whats special about today?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but have those sports that are seen as succesful had that uptake ? is track cycling now Britains most popular sport ? because it doesnt feel like it is.

for me Ive never been comfortable with the mantra of just chuck aload of money at a sport, without checks and balances in place,and with the only goal being to win a gold medal as the measure of success,and especially without being mindful of the human cost to the wellbeing of those involved, because if you are only focussed at winning a gold medal regardless of costs, I do think youve missed a big chunk of the Olympic ideals and what you are doing, the result of winning a gold medal actually isnt what you think the outcome should be in terms of uptake if youve not taken care how you got there. Team GB won 29 golds in 2012, I doubt anyone could name them all now, they didnt all become household names, or the 17 silver & 19 bronzes, or were those the failures because they didnt get to gold.

fwiw I dont believe TeamGB cant win an individual track cycling medal, I dont know what theyve based that on or what system theyve used to predict this or how accurate it is, and that here will likely be more women than men in TeamGB Tokyo 2020 probably because the womens football team qualified via the world cup, so youll get to pick a squad of ~20, whilst the mens team wont take part.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    awavey wrote:
    but have those sports that are seen as succesful had that uptake ? is track cycling now Britains most popular sport ? because it doesnt feel like it is.
    Of course it isn't. British Cycling's budget for the Tokyo cycle would buy a third rate Premiership striker.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,475
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

It's Tuesday idiot. Duh!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    awavey wrote:

I was doing coaching sessions for kids at my club in 2012 and the surge in membership was huge, we must have doubled attendance. When I was racing regularly in the early 90s hardly anyone I rode with raced track (granted that other than the short track at Calshot there were no indoor facilities until Manchester opened).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,148

A white male has just become PM because of their upbringing, not their suitability or aptitude for doing the job. The very essence of white male privilege.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    The focus on elite funding, to the detriment of grassroots programmes, has left olympic sports extremely vulnerable to change (e.g. budget cuts, staff changes, equipment etc.). The GB medal haul was vastly inflated by out-competing other nations in budget for niche technical sports like track cycling, where the financial costs of establishing an olympic programme - and of kids gaining access to the sport in the first place - already limit most nations.

It's tragic really. Basketball funding was completely eliminated as it wasn't a medal hope. A sport that is hugely popular in inner cities, particularly amongst working class black kids, but we're not likely to get really good at it very quickly so why help them play it? It's not like it's even expensive to put together a grassroots programme. Facilities and equipment are relatively cheap, and if you build some stuff in public spaces it *will* be used.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,475
    The focus on elite funding, to the detriment of grassroots programmes, has left olympic sports extremely vulnerable to change (e.g. budget cuts, staff changes, equipment etc.)

Theres no better example of this than British Cycling's apparent attempts to kill club level road racing. It doesn't generate the funding that Olympic medals or "one million people riding bikes" does, so they don't want the inconvenience.

Im sure a lot of basketball courts would get used. We've had a few mini courts put up in Hull, usually near skate parks. Unfortunately they only get used as a clean surface to sit on, while the skate parks are always full.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago