CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Not seen this posted here. Helen Wyman tweeted the link.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/0QN8kOi6YNKua/
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I can't even

..finish my post?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dish_dash wrote:
    Not seen this posted here. Helen Wyman tweeted the link.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/0QN8kOi6YNKua/

Coo, look at that. Someone who actually knows what they're on about. And funnily enough, it's not black and white.

In all seriousness, that's a great bit of writing and really heartfelt. It sums up what most of us suspected; that the top end of BC is not a particularly healthy environment but one that was massively effective at achieving the goals it was set. I hope to goodness this point is recognised:
    The Government and the funders were quick to share in British Cycling’s successes but they are even quicker to devolve responsibility for its failings. NGB’s are forced to acquiesce under threat of sanction and cannot complain too loudly. There are deeper philosophical and political issues at play in which the government and some quangos are able to devolve responsibility for their own shortcomings. Blaming British Cycling for poor governance is too simplistic.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    A right good lad is our Lewis. Always has time for a chat when I see him.
    Came through the BC system, got as far as he could. Left Manchester and returned home to Wales.
    Studying full time to become a doctor, while training in Newport.
    Competed at the Euros and in the WCs, riding either for trade team or Wales.
    Now, from outside the elite set up, he has been selected to compete for GB in the World championships in Hong Kong, this month.
    This is what he has to say on things at BCHQ:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/39482550
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Why in the name of Christ are you walking your dog on the field where your daughter plays sport?????????????

I was combining exercising the dog with inspecting the pitch to assess the likelihood of the game going ahead.

I presume you are suggesting that it is some kind of health risk - which is hysterical in both senses of the word.

Seriously? :shock:
    There are plenty of reasons why dogs and sports pitches do not mix and why many, many sports clubs ban dogs from their fields. Fine, walk the dog to the field, but please do not let the dog onto the playing surface or the surrounds.

Are you really shocked ? What is the health risk exactly ? A dog walking over a pitch is going to transmit what disease - I'm not letting them sh it on the grass obviously.

These pitches are on a public park - in fact they make up most of the open space there - it's a mixed use space not a dedicated sports ground though most sports grounds I've visited that aren't schools do allow dogs - the match we played yesterday which was a dedicated sports ground in Southwell the ref turned up with a labrador and walked it across the pitch and nobody cared.

Presumably if it starts having a crap on the pitch you drag it (and it drags its crapping ass) off the field of play. Dog owners can be the most sanctimonious selfish tw uts going. they just don't get non dog owners don't want to enjoy their dogs faeces.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    The article linked above is excellent and probably the first I've seen with real balance. This bit was pertinent I felt
    The about to be published ‘independent’ report from UK Sport is likely to be scathing about British Cycling and its governance, with some degree of justification. However, what UK Sport fails to recognise is how complicit they themselves are. The systems and policies that govern sport originate from the sport itself, however in recent years, the UK government, through the Department of Media, Culture and Sport have established guidelines for funding of sport that are implemented by quangos including UK Sport and Sport England.

How independent are reviews where the people doing the reviewing set down the standards that potentially create the culture? Is it a coincidence that two sports that won a lot of medals at Rio to deliver the set targets are being investigated for 'bullying' cultures? Will the DCMS and UK Sport change their ambitions to try to overcome an overly competitive atmosphere?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Tenant has a say

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ane-sutton

As a rider dropped from two Olympic games, you'd expect more of a grudge.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Tenant has a say

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ane-sutton

As a rider dropped from two Olympic games, you'd expect more of a grudge.

Should also be added that in my experience, Tennant doesnt have much of a guard on his gob when he has something to say
  • Pross
    At least the alternative points of view are starting to come out. Has the Mail or Roan given equal time to these comments? In Roan's case, if he doesn't then 'due to the unique way the BBC is funded' it should be possible to make a complaint. We could have a CMS investigation into biased BBC reporting!!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    [

Presumably if it starts having a crap on the pitch you drag it (and it drags its crapping ass) off the field of play. Dog owners can be the most sanctimonious selfish tw uts going. they just don't get non dog owners don't want to enjoy their dogs faeces.

No I would stop and pick the poo up with a bag and put it in a bin. You need never come in contact with it.

There is as good as zero health risk from me walking a dog across a football pitch - why you single out the pitches anyway I don't know people use all of the park for pic-nics, games, walks etc so unless you are suggesting a complete dog ban from public parks your outrage at walking across a football pitch seems selective without any reason to be so.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
    Confirmation bias
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    [

No I would stop and pick the poo up with a bag and put it in a bin. You need never come in contact with it.

There is as good as zero health risk from me walking a dog across a football pitch - why you single out the pitches anyway I don't know people use all of the park for pic-nics, games, walks etc so unless you are suggesting a complete dog ban from public parks your outrage at walking across a football pitch seems selective without any reason to be so.

Glad to hear your dog poops rock solid ones, and you always manage to ensure nothing is left behind on the ground. :?
    The reason the pitches are particularly singled out is that players regularly get cuts and grazes and scrapes.
    That's somewhat less likely to happen when having your picnic.
    Still, you carry on being selfish.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    anyway, back on topic, it's good to hear a few coming out in support of the system, and especially someone like Andy Tennant who has missed out twice.
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Pross wrote:
    At least the alternative points of view are starting to come out. Has the Mail or Roan given equal time to these comments? In Roan's case, if he doesn't then 'due to the unique way the BBC is funded' it should be possible to make a complaint. We could have a CMS investigation into biased BBC reporting!!

danpartridge.jpg1-1024x578.png
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Neatly combining this page' worth of posts ... The other weekend a lady was shouting on her dog to come back ... A dog named 'Dan' ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    See the BBC have titled the Lewis Oliva article "British Cycling is ‘elite sport, not day care’ - Lewis Oliva on Bullying Accusations" - but at no point does he mention bullying. The BBC just can't help themselves.
    Oliva now having to defend himself against accusations that he is justifying bulling, sexism etc. on Roans twitter feed. Such BS.
    Meanwhile the BBC give less than half a page write up on the greatest editions of RVV and only 4 lines on the Women's race - spot the sexism.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Actual culture of bullying and sexism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39495072

But don't worry, it's only 'banter'.
  • blazing_saddles
    SPaM02 wrote:
    See the BBC have titled the Lewis Oliva article "British Cycling is ‘elite sport, not day care’ - Lewis Oliva on Bullying Accusations" - but at no point does he mention bullying. The BBC just can't help themselves.
    Oliva now having to defend himself against accusations that he is justifying bulling, sexism etc. on Roans twitter feed. Such BS.

Amazes me how the twitter police are always ready to tell experts that they are wrong.
    orraloon wrote:

Just as unacceptable as anything SS was accused of saying, but that's where the equality ends.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    orraloon wrote:

I'm not convinced it was sexist until he called her "the girl" in his "apology" statement. Just plain obnoxious aggression, threatening her in the same way as he would have done a male reporter.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Glad to hear your dog poops rock solid ones, and you always manage to ensure nothing is left behind on the ground. :?
    The reason the pitches are particularly singled out is that players regularly get cuts and grazes and scrapes.
    That's somewhat less likely to happen when having your picnic.
    Still, you carry on being selfish.

They have never done one on a pitch as they tend to do them sooner after starting a walk so I'd walk them somewhere near the poo bins and if it's the park near me the pitches are a good mile walk from my house but if they did yes I think I would be able to pick all of it up. I'd rather play football on grass with a trace of dog shit on it than sit down and have a picnic on it anyway wouldn't you ? Also as a football coach - and yes I do on occasion have to pick up other peoples dog shit so the kids can play on the pitch - and having played the game for years players do not regularly get cuts or break the skin - bruises, bangs, twists etc yes.

I assume you don't drive a car or ever travel in one as if you do you are causing others far more of a health problem than walking a dog on a park which includes sports pitches - that is a fact whether you choose to accept it or not.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    We should get some Sunderland fans to check our the pitches where De Vlaeminck walks his dog. They're used to seeing sh!t on the pitch every week.
  • Pross
    The Irish Women's Football Team are threatening to go on strike as they have to share track suits with the male youth team and get changed in toilets while travelling to matches. Women's sport in general is treated as an after though, BC are probably at the top end of when it comes to gender equality!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    orraloon wrote:

I'm not convinced it was sexist until he called her "the girl" in his "apology" statement. Just plain obnoxious aggression, threatening her in the same way as he would have done a male reporter.

Marina Hyde on great form again... https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... sunderland
    the question does have to be asked: are men really cut out for these high-profile roles in football, with their emotionalism, their irritability (much more than monthly), and their tendency to say something “heat of the moment” when under pressure? Would they not be better suited to clerical positions within the game, or its “caring” roles – ie the physio department, or the press office? With the best will in the world, and all that …
  • on the subject of the Jamaicans and clen and 2008

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight ... omplicated
  • Back to BC:

Chris Hoy

http://www.chrishoy.com/news/
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Nicely balanced, unlike most of the other foghorning going on
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Talking of which - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39521974

No mention of anyone who's spoken in support of BC in the article. Daily Mail I can understand, but not sure why the BBC has such an axe to grind on this.

The opening statement is not what he actually said, but then again, neither was the sh*t stirring headline on the Lewis Oliva article which the BBC have since been forced to change.
  • blazing_saddles
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Talking of which - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39521974

No mention of anyone who's spoken in support of BC in the article. Daily Mail I can understand, but not sure why the BBC has such an axe to grind on this.

The opening statement is not what he actually said, but then again, neither was the sh*t stirring headline on the Lewis Oliva article which the BBC have since been forced to change.

Given there obvious agenda, you can't expect the Beeb to mention anyone who has spoken is support of BC, when they haven't found anybody current, who has spoken in support of Varnish. :wink:
    That's why we get the umpteenth reprint of the same stuff and yet another link to that interview.
    As another deadline has come and is now long gone, what else can the do?
  • Pross
    Anyone feeling the BBC's coverage of this issue has been biased should consider making a complaint.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/contact_us/making_a_complaint.html