CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Report now delayed until after the election.

Wait... what election?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dish_dash wrote:

Wait... what election?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleswig-Holstein_state_election,_2017
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Shouldn't effect the UKAD one though (unless MPs are interfering in it, which they may be)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    dish_dash wrote:

Wait... what election?

Sorry, spoiler alert. Didn't know you were saving the news up for a binge watch. You'll never guess the plot twist over the US presidency.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    dish_dash wrote:

Wait... what election?

Sorry, spoiler alert. Didn't know you were saving the news up for a binge watch. You'll never guess the plot twist over the US presidency.

:D
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:

Wait... what election?

There's a big new series of The News out next month. According to internet rumour it doesn't end well for that old bloke with the beard.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    All ongoing enquiries cancelled. You have to laugh ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    CarbonClem wrote:
    All ongoing enquiries cancelled. You have to laugh ...

No one has told the dear old Beeb, though.
    They are still banging the drum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39654790
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Wait... what election?

There's a big new series of The News out next month. According to internet rumour it doesn't end well for that old bloke with the beard.

What? Dawkins was right?!?!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Wait... what election?

What? Dawkins was right?!?!

Not about the two dogs, surely.
  • RichN95.
    Not about the two dogs, surely.
    Well that's a very niche reference. I'm not sure anyone else will get it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Lizzie on BBC Breakfast:

Sexism was a wider issue in the sport and was never personal to her. For example there were less medal chances at Beijing and as BC's business model is to win Olympic medals there was less opportunity for women. She never experienced bullying at BC. It will be interesting to see how that gets reported on BBC websites etc.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Pross wrote:
    Lizzie on BBC Breakfast:

Sexism was a wider issue in the sport and was never personal to her. For example there were less medal chances at Beijing and as BC's business model is to win Olympic medals there was less opportunity for women. She never experienced bullying at BC. It will be interesting to see how that gets reported on BBC websites etc.

Not sure it will as, as far as BBC and other media are concerned, to a certain extent she is still on the naughty step and also it's not what they want to hear regarding British Cycling. The die has been cast.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross wrote:
    Lizzie on BBC Breakfast:

It didn't.
    Quelle surprise.
    Nothing at all in the Comic either.
    They are only interested in the opposite side of the story, much like the so called independent investigation.
  • Pross
    The BBC aren't biased. All their journalists and editors are regularly reminded of the need to be impartial and therefore they cannot be biased. I know this as it was the response I received to a complaint about what I (obviously mistakenly) felt was biased reporting on this issue. I kid you not, that's slightly paraphrased and I deleted the email but it was very much along the lines of 'they're told to be impartial so therefore they are'.
  • Pross
    Well the report has finally come out and is far more measured than the leaked draft suggested including the panel determining that Varnish wasn't discriminated against and that her being dropped wasn't retaliation for speaking out. Obviously the usual suspects are shouting whitewash but the likes of Roan seem to have finally realised the story they were chasing wasn't what they hoped for.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross wrote:
    Well the report has finally come out and is far more measured than the leaked draft suggested including the panel determining that Varnish wasn't discriminated against and that her being dropped wasn't retaliation for speaking out. Obviously the usual suspects are shouting whitewash but the likes of Roan seem to have finally realised the story they were chasing wasn't what they hoped for.
    Either that or Roan got bored?
  • Pross
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Maybe he's realised if he looks properly there's big stories to be had in football that would really raise his profile, but then maybe not!
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Maybe he's realised if he looks properly there's big stories to be had in football that would really raise his profile, but then maybe not!
    He might lose his free tickets though. See also tennis, rugby, cricket....

The report seemed to be a very time consuming and expensive process to find out that Shane Sutton is a bit rude. I'm yet to hear one example of how this bullying and 'culture of fear' manifested itself. (And I bet how Ellingworth punished the academy boys was worse)
  • Pross
    The culture of fear was apparently staff (which I assume to be back room staff rather than riders) being scared to raise concerns for fear of the impact on their career. I haven't heard what concerns they were scared to raise but it sounds much like any other job. Most people are scared to go to management with concerns over how their company is run, it's a pretty natural reaction but it doesn't necessarily mean the fear is justified or the concern won't be listened to.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    The culture of fear was apparently staff (which I assume to be back room staff rather than riders) being scared to raise concerns for fear of the impact on their career. I haven't heard what concerns they were scared to raise but it sounds much like any other job. Most people are scared to go to management with concerns over how their company is run, it's a pretty natural reaction but it doesn't necessarily mean the fear is justified or the concern won't be listened to.
    And that's just it. Staff's perception of a situation rather than actuality. Now if there was an example of someone who had raised concerns and suffered for it then that's different. But I'm yet to see anything like that.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    And that's just it. Staff's perception of a situation rather than actuality. Now if there was an example of someone who had raised concerns and suffered for it then that's different. But I'm yet to see anything like that.
    I understand your reasoning but if you worked in an intimidating environment, why would you wish to be the first to put your head above the parapet only to have it shot down? Put at risk the stability of your family or jeopardise future career aspirations? The perpetrators of bullying play on the cowed behaviour of their victims in the expectation the victims do and say nothing. Thus the cloak of secrecy continues.

To clarify misgivings, I think its incumbent upon the committee to make clear why the published copy has been significantly amended from the earlier draft. Unless that has been explained better there will always be suspicions of a 'cover-up' and a continued abuse of power from those most able to afford the legal fees to threaten court action. Until this is done, the issue will always lurk in the background.
  • blazing_saddles
    BC manage another cover up? :lol:
    I don't think so.

I warned several times that there would be a long delay.
    It was a shambles: not one of BC's making.
    They had to back track, because they had initially cherry picked interviewees.
    Other folks eventually got their say.
    There was a major problem with record keeping.......no, again, not BC's.

Anyhow, it's done. This and the CMS lot: all a bit meh in the end.
  • RichN95.
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    To clarify misgivings, I think its incumbent upon the committee to make clear why the published copy has been significantly amended from the earlier draft. Unless that has been explained better there will always be suspicions of a 'cover-up' and a continued abuse of power from those most able to afford the legal fees to threaten court action. Until this is done, the issue will always lurk in the background.
    The draft report was essentially the case for the prosecution. Most draft reports of this type are. But then the go through a process called Maxwellisation where the accused have their say. The final version is always significantly amended as a result. It's not a cover up, it's just due process, not a witchhunt.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    what's happened to the CMS hearing into Sky and the package from BW ? Has that all gone away post election as no one needs to make a name for themselves any more
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    sherer wrote:
    what's happened to the CMS hearing into Sky and the package from BW ? Has that all gone away post election as no one needs to make a name for themselves any more
    Or the outcome of the inquiry into the derogatory and insulting comments allegedly made by Shane Sutton towards para-cyclists? I thought it was separate but is it part of this report or is it a separate report?
  • Pross
    The CMS hearing, as all other Parliamentary hearings, was put on hold once the GE was announced (there are no MPs during election campaigns). I assume it will recommence soon but it's worth noting the Inquiry is supposed to be into doping in sport not just cycling or an individual rider. This is something that many (including, apparently, some of the Committee) seem to have forgotten.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Check the banner ad. BR is part of the culture of sexism blah blah as well. We need to know da troof.

dwp6k6.png