Windrush crisis

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,925
    Am I the only one getting pushed towards supporting Rudd purely on the basis that Abbott wants her to resign?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,840
    Pross wrote:
    Am I the only one getting pushed towards supporting Rudd purely on the basis that Abbott wants her to resign?
    I think the only thing keeping Rudd in place is the lack of a viable alternative. I'm not sure Abbott's opinion on the matter is of any consequence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think the only thing keeping Rudd in place is the lack of a viable alternative. I'm not sure Abbott's opinion on the matter is of any consequence.

More like a human shield for her predecessor
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:

More like a human shield for her predecessor

True. No viable alternative for Rudd or May.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Why is it a crisis?
  • Pross
    Why is it a crisis?

Yeah, I can’t see why hundreds / thousands of people losing their jobs and being kicked out of a country they’ve lived in for decades is even worth a mention. Bunch of whingers like Scousers :roll:
  • Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

Yeah, I can’t see why hundreds / thousands of people losing their jobs and being kicked out of a country they’ve lived in for decades is even worth a mention. Bunch of whingers like Scousers :roll:

Pross, as someone who I believe comes from South Wales all I will say to you is my family came from Capel Celyn so you will get my dislike of Liverpool. And don't forget no government body came to their rescue when they lost everything. Perhaps if justice was more evenly distributed in this country I may have more sympathy for others.
  • Frank has a point. Why care for anybody if nobody cares for you? If he can't get something, nobody can. It's a dog eat dog world, every man for himself. Why should only those living in or around London receive more care than anybody else? They don't do anything extra for anybody. It's the metropolitans vs urbanites. Rich vs poor. Middle class vs working class.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,758
    We are all Thatcher's Children now. "There's no such thing as society."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,978
    Frank has a point. Why care for anybody if nobody cares for you? If he can't get something, nobody can. It's a dog eat dog world, every man for himself. Why should only those living in or around London receive more care than anybody else? They don't do anything extra for anybody. It's the metropolitans vs urbanites. Rich vs poor. Middle class vs working class.

2/10.

Too obvious.
  • surrey_commuter
    Frank has a point. Why care for anybody if nobody cares for you? If he can't get something, nobody can. It's a dog eat dog world, every man for himself. Why should only those living in or around London receive more care than anybody else? They don't do anything extra for anybody. It's the metropolitans vs urbanites. Rich vs poor. Middle class vs working class.

Getting cocky... if not careful people may think you are our Coopski upgrade.

To a resident of a geographically large country, Liverpool will look close to London but nobody in the UK would think of Liverpool as being “around London”
  • rjsterry

To a resident of a geographically large country, Liverpool will look close to London but nobody in the UK would think of Liverpool as being “around London”

Pfft. At least Coopster gave the impression that he believed what he was posting.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

No - one is disagreeing with this.

The point is that illegal immigrants were being targeted by the immigration services who had budgets for the number to be deported.

Why is that different from the police having targets to arrest criminals. I've lived in both Kuwait and in The Gambia - in neither of those countries would you be allowed to stay illegally - immediate deportation - straight to the airport if you committed a crime, or in the case of Kuwait, lost your job.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rjsterry
    FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

The point is that illegal immigrants were being targeted by the immigration services who had budgets for the number to be deported.

Why is that different from the police having targets to arrest criminals. I've lived in both Kuwait and in The Gambia - in neither of those countries would you be allowed to stay illegally - immediate deportation - straight to the airport if you committed a crime, or in the case of Kuwait, lost your job.

Well, no. They were targeting legal and illegal immigrants alike because the system had been set up so as not to be able to accurately distinguish between the two.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

Well, apart from the fact many weren't illegal immigrants and were the families of those invited to come to the country which is the whole issue here. I doubt anyone has an issue with illegals being deported (unless it puts their lives at risk).
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

Pross, as someone who I believe comes from South Wales all I will say to you is my family came from Capel Celyn so you will get my dislike of Liverpool. And don't forget no government body came to their rescue when they lost everything. Perhaps if justice was more evenly distributed in this country I may have more sympathy for others.

So you blame the entire population of a city for something instigated by the cities Councillors and back by Parliament over 50 years ago? Seems reasonable!
  • The people of those cities have the ability to influence the councillors and Parliament, so collectively they are fault for this problem.
  • rjsterry
    Arguably Capel Celyn was a major catalyst for the establishment of the Welsh Office and Secretary of State for Wales, and eventually the Welsh Assembly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

I'm pretty sure that post was being sarcastic / satirical towards Frank's post.
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

So you blame the entire population of a city for something instigated by the cities Councillors and back by Parliament over 50 years ago? Seems reasonable!

As the village was 100% Welsh Speaking I would go as far to say that it was ethnic cleansing by a foreign body.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,738
    DbzarDNW4AE_CjP.jpg
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

Well, apart from the fact many weren't illegal immigrants and were the families of those invited to come to the country which is the whole issue here. I doubt anyone has an issue with illegals being deported (unless it puts their lives at risk).

Yep deporting the murdering rapist to Kentucky for his injection will have them marching in the streets of Hull/Stoke/Sunderland
  • rjsterry
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it a crisis?

As the village was 100% Welsh Speaking I would go as far to say that it was ethnic cleansing by a foreign body.

Not sure I'd go that far, but it certainly was a shameful episode and shows old attitudes to Wales and the Welsh language. If you're looking for someone to blame, that lies further afield than just Liverpool as it was enacted by Act of Parliament.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    TheBigBean wrote:
    DbzarDNW4AE_CjP.jpg
    "Send me that on email and I'll say I didn't read it."
  • orraloon
    Ah no, don't bother. Taxi!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Rudd today, it'll be May tomorrow?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,933
    Robert88 wrote:
    Rudd today, it'll be May tomorrow?
    That’s a fairly safe bet! :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,738
    I feel like Rudd should have resigned because she knew what was going on, not because she didn't
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuvafDa1sXQ-ku1cmvLflPZP1n3cAVAtpfDdXrCJzSbbYApCMDhg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!