Windrush crisis

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    FishFish wrote:
    So then what is the great crime that the then home secretary has committed. There is a policy of returning illegal immigrants and there are targets. Both are agreed by the government and are pretty acceptable to society.
    The system was defective (in removing unregistered Caribbean immigrants and other 'low hanging fruit') because to make it a zero defect policy would require an audit of each situation which would be horrendously expensive (My calc of the present value being £250M at least).

So some stupid immigration officers playing games with the rules on targets. All of the returned immigrants Caribbean or not did not have the right to stay because they had not gone through the application procedures. There is no process for waiving the application process or fees.

Tell you what, let us make the NHS zero defect too.

Well clearly she presided over a system that was defective (in removing unregistered Caribbean immigrants and other 'low hanging fruit*').

* Southern trees bear strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees
    Pastoral scene of the gallant south
    The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
    Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh
    Then the sudden smell of burning flesh
    Here is fruit for the crows to pluck
    For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
    For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
    Here is a strange and bitter crop
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    FishFish wrote:
    So then what is the great crime that the then home secretary has committed. There is a policy of returning illegal immigrants and there are targets. Both are agreed by the government and are pretty acceptable to society.
    The system was defective (in removing unregistered Caribbean immigrants and other 'low hanging fruit') because to make it a zero defect policy would require an audit of each situation which would be horrendously expensive (My calc of the present value being £250M at least).

So some stupid immigration officers playing games with the rules on targets. All of the returned immigrants Caribbean or not did not have the right to stay because they had not gone through the application procedures. There is no process for waiving the application process or fees.

Did mummy not tell you to share your toys with people?

It must be sad having that outlook. If you don’t show empathy you don’t tend to receive much either.

:(

That moment when you’re helpless and in dire need and someone says “tough sh!t”. Maybe you’ve never had it. Let’s hope you won’t need to.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    Rick - you would be an easy fish to catch.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah it satisfies an itch.

It's only 10-15% worse than what I hear people say in RL, only I'm not in a position to respond then.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    Trolling or not, we've covered this more than once before. The decision to require landlords, employers and others to demand specific documentary proof of a right of residency was May's. It was well known at the introduction of the policy that a large section of the population could not provide such proof despite having a right of residency, and that wrongful withdrawal of employment, housing and benefits, and subsequent deportation would result. May chose to ignore this. It has very little to do with immigration officers, stupid or not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791
    See my earlier post about May’s stance on this. She cares not a whit. She is banking on the general public sharing her opinion. Unfortunately, some do.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    PBlakeney wrote:
    See my earlier post about May’s stance on this. She cares not a whit. She is banking on the general public sharing her opinion. Unfortunately, some do.
    Some do of course, but she and others have clearly misjudged this, or this wouldn't have resulted in the proxy resignation of the Home Secretary.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Labour has tabled a motion that the government should publish all its internal Windrush discussions over the last 8 years. This has forced May to three line whip all the Tories to vote against as presumably transparency would reveal her role.

A nice bit of politics by labour.

Reveal? Was her role in some way hidden?

Her role in the Windrush crisis. Better?
    I meant that her role in the Windrush crisis is blindingly obvious and doesn't need a review of internal communications to show that (although resisting such a request only makes her look more guilty); I wasn't picking holes.

14 hours ago:

MPs reject Labour's Windrush disclosure motion
    The government has survived the motion – MPs have voted down Labour’s motion to force ministers to disclose eight years of internal documents and correspondence about the Windrush scandal.

The government imposed a three-line whip on Tory MPs to vote against and won by 316 votes to 221 – a majority of 95.

The phrase "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide" doesn't appear to apply to Tory MPs
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Some do of course, but she and others have clearly misjudged this, or this wouldn't have resulted in the proxy resignation of the Home Secretary.

The Great British Public all agree that the NHS should be better funded - until they hear the detail of how to pay
    The Great British Public all agree austerity is necessary - they just don't like the detail of where cuts fall
    The Great British Public agree that immigration should be lower - turns out they don't like the detail
  • pblakeney
    I meant she thought the general public wouldn’t care enough to put her job at risk. May turn out to be wrong.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jez mon
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I meant she thought the general public wouldn’t care enough to put her job at risk. May turn out to be wrong.

Once again. TM is lucky to have a weak opposition.
  • TheBigBean
    Jez mon wrote:

The phrase "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide" doesn't appear to apply to Tory MPs

I believe that only applies when the people are accountable to the state (the complete opposite of democracy)
  • Jez mon
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I believe that only applies when the people are accountable to the state (the complete opposite of democracy)

For the avoidance of doubt I really do not agree with the phrase.
  • TheBigBean
    Jez mon wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt I really do not agree with the phrase.

That was clear.

Governments should be transparent though, so I do think there is an argument that it applies to governments (not the people) in democracies. May's only defence against publishing any document should be one of national security and cost. Political embarrassment is very much not a defence.
  • Jez mon
    FishFish wrote:

Just out of interest.

How does one set targets for deportation of illegal immigrants.

Given that by their nature, they are undocumented, how do you produce an estimate of how many illegal immigrants there are?
  • pblakeney
    I have always been in a quandary about that question.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    Jez mon wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Just out of interest.

How does one set targets for deportation of illegal immigrants.

Given that by their nature, they are undocumented, how do you produce an estimate of how many illegal immigrants there are?

Look at how many each person/office/region/total deported last year and set them a target 10% higher
  • pblakeney
    So simply deport 10% of that number who happen to be legal?
    Remember May’s words, we can deport first and hear appeals later.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Which illustrates why managers love targets - nice and easy to assess; don't need to think qualitatively about the person's work. Trouble is it's based on the assumption that there will always be another 10% of whatever it is to be gained, which is frequently not the case. There's also a tendency to measure the things that are easy to measure rather than the things that should be measured.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• 10% is a nice round number, not too high, not too low, just right. Multiples of ten are easy to work with in the head.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ss-you-off

Here's a video of a grunt taking the brief of a hostile environment quite literally.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    FishFish wrote:

It must be sad having that outlook. If you don’t show empathy you don’t tend to receive much either.

:(

That moment when you’re helpless and in dire need and someone says “tough sh!t”. Maybe you’ve never had it. Let’s hope you won’t need to.

I lived in Kuwait and in Gambia and non nationals are on a moments notice to move without even clearing their bank accounts. In the former case there are second generation 25 year olds chucked out because their parents retire.

No I don't care because they should have regularised their position and paid for it. And I have put myself in a position where I don't need sympathy.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    rjsterry wrote:
    Which illustrates why managers love targets - nice and easy to assess; don't need to think qualitatively about the person's work. Trouble is it's based on the assumption that there will always be another 10% of whatever it is to be gained, which is frequently not the case. There's also a tendency to measure the things that are easy to measure rather than the things that should be measured.

Well exactly so if none are deported then most of the UK will demand targets being increased from Zero. Why not start with people who fail asylum then people who commit a crime then people who have not completed their application for permanent residency.

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Cold as a fishfish. Brrrr, It makes me shiver..
  • rjsterry
    FishFish wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Well exactly so if none are deported then most of the UK will demand targets being increased from Zero. Why not start with people who fail asylum then people who commit a crime then people who have not completed their application for permanent residency.

You're missing the point that these people have already been granted permanent residency years ago; they just don't have any documentation.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• FishFish
    The 'documentation' that you so freely refer to HAS to be a record held in the Home office - NOT a stamp in a passport. Persuasive evidence includes a stamp in a passport or - as is inevitable in the case of residency - a letter which follows from the record in the Home Office.

You are wrong.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

The Great British Public all agree that the NHS should be better funded - until they hear the detail of how to pay
    The Great British Public all agree austerity is necessary - they just don't like the detail of where cuts fall
    The Great British Public agree that immigration should be lower - turns out they don't like the detail
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    (Winston Churchill, allegedly)
  • pblakeney
    FishFish wrote:
    The 'documentation' that you so freely refer to HAS to be a record held in the Home office - NOT a stamp in a passport. Persuasive evidence includes a stamp in a passport or - as is inevitable in the case of residency - a letter which follows from the record in the Home Office.

You are wrong.
    This is exactly the issue.
    The Home Office have “lost” the records.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    10% is a nice round number, not too high, not too low, just right. Multiples of ten are easy to work with in the head.

10% was an example :roll:
  • surrey_commuter
    FishFish wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Or the easy ones who don’t lawyer up. Best to steer clear of criminals and failed asylum seekers as they have a experience at working the legal system.