The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Nerve AM7.0 was not due to be sent until the last week in August, but has been sent today. I'm expecting it on Thursday, according to the courier. I'm pretty excited.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah the CF Nerve's look very good, although I can't quite believe the £3600 9LTD is only 200g lighter than the £2600 8. There's not much spec-wise I'd change on the 8 though (brakes mostly although the boostvalve factory shock would be nice to). Now once they sort a 29er version out...
  • tc3nitro
    tc3nitro Posts: 82
    All these posts in here regarding the customer service problems are seriously making me think twice about buying a canyon bike.

Does anyone have the address of Canyon UK ?
  • miguel73
    miguel73 Posts: 28
    uk@canyon.com or +44 (0) 20 8501 2582, not sure about the physical address though.

I got my Strive ES9 last week, taking it out today for the first time!

Prior to buying I spoke to Cullen at canyon uk to ask him a few questions about returns/faults, took me three or four calls to get an answer as it was always engaged. Emailed him just before my bike was shipped as I'd noticed the price on my bike had dropped £163, he responded later that evening saying I would get the bike at the new price even though I'd ordered it 6 weeks previously
  • I ended up getting hold of Cullen at 4:55pm on Tuesday. 6 days after contacting him and speaking to 3 different people at Canyon's HQ in Germany asking if they can help me out as i wasn't getting a response from Canyon UK.

I was happy to hear that he picked up the phone but then it just went back to being pretty disappointed. He said he wasn't sure of my case and that i had to remind him, which i did, and he responded by saying he would speak to Sun Ringle for me. He also mentioned that they were slow to respond normally so if he thinks they are slow, god help me!

As of today, 8 working days later, my issue is now Sun Ringle (hopefully!) and even though i was told i could ride the bike with the problem in the rim it wouldn't be covered if i wrote the rim off.

I still feel that in my situation with this rim issue i've not been dealt with in the correct manner which is a shame.

If i was out here to give Canyon a bad name i wouldn't have said they were good to send me a replacement rear hanger so fast etc etc. It's just this specific issue i'm having a problem with and i've not even heard when i've to send the rim back which will leave me without a bike. If my problem was picked up last Wednesday i can assure you my rim would be with Sun Ringle right now and possibly on it's way back to me.

To those saying they are getting their bikes or have just received. Congratulations! You will enjoy them as they are decent bikes.
    2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    tc3nitro wrote:
    All these posts in here regarding the customer service problems are seriously making me think twice about buying a canyon bike.

The issues mentioned on this thread represent a tiny minority of Canyon owners. If you don't feel comfortable buying one then fair enough, but I think you'd struggle to find a bike brand, or in fact any company, that pleases 100% of people, 100% of the time.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    I don't think anyone is expecting to be 100% happy a 100% of the time.

However, it should not be too much to expect to have replies to phone calls\emails within a respectable amout of time. Canyon are doing themselves no favours because prospective buyers will read these threads and will be put off buying a bike from them.

Anyway, I'm off out for a ride....on my Canyon (which I happen to love) :)

TTFN
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Shackster wrote:
    tc3nitro wrote:

The issues mentioned on this thread represent a tiny minority of Canyon owners. If you don't feel comfortable buying one then fair enough, but I think you'd struggle to find a bike brand, or in fact any company, that pleases 100% of people, 100% of the time.

From reading the forums there does seem to be very few who have major issues with Canyon i have to admit it. It's not an issue with the bike itself or a Canyon product that i have. Just Sun Ringle, who Canyon Germany choose to use in the UK and how they allow just one person to deal with it all and that's fine by them.

I had a problem with Giant when i first bought my Trance. It was a staff sale and they took the payment twice from my card and what a hassle it was to get the second amount back from them.

Some people are lucky, some aren't. That's the way she goes.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Cullen was a cnut to me :/
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Cullen was a cnut to me :/
    In what way?
    Canyon were good with my warranty claim.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Nerve AM 7.0 has arrived today and I've just finished building it up. One of the clips that holds the rear brake hose to the frame is missing and the paint has two minor chips, so I've just e-mailed them, but these aren't massive issues. The bike looks ace and felt great around the street, but I've been no further as yet. I'm away this weekend so I'll hopefully get out on it midweek next week. It's my first full susser so I'll be sussing the suspension out first.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    My Nerve AM 7.0 has arrived today and I've just finished building it up. One of the clips that holds the rear brake hose to the frame is missing and the paint has two minor chips, so I've just e-mailed them, but these aren't massive issues. The bike looks ace and felt great around the street, but I've been no further as yet. I'm away this weekend so I'll hopefully get out on it midweek next week. It's my first full susser so I'll be sussing the suspension out first.

Good to hear you have joined the Canyon club. You will enjoy the bike I'm very sure of that. My bike had some very minor marking on it but not bothered about that in the slightest.

I was out on mine today and it's really impressing me. As in i was only taking the dog for a few laps round the local reservoir so no real downhill and it sped along beautifully considering it's an all mountain bike. I have a trip to Glentress planned this Saturday to give it a proper hiding though.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    mcnultycop wrote:

Zip ties are better than those clips anyway.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    tc3nitro wrote:
    yes :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • erinmills
    erinmills Posts: 12
    my friend has an XC 8.0 black. He loves it
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    My Xc 7.0 arrived monday only bad point is I noticed last night the brakes are the wrong way round :x easy enough fix though.
  • prowbiker
    prowbiker Posts: 43
    Hi Canyon owners,

About to pull the trigger on a Nerve AM.

Scared about bearing servicing/replacement, having heard they have to go back to Germany because not standard bolts etc.

Is this true - anyone changed out their bearings yet ??

Please advise. Mamba green is calling me !

Cheers
    Santa Cruz Heckler 2006
  • prowbiker wrote:
    Hi Canyon owners,

Scared about bearing servicing/replacement, having heard they have to go back to Germany because not standard bolts etc.

Cheers

I would be very surprised to hear of any type of bolt being specific to Germany. Unless it's a fitting that's specially machined in house you would be able to get any bolt type here in the UK.

This reminds me of when Japanese import cars were becoming popular in the UK and I'm pretty sure Quentin Wilson said on Top Gear that they all had different size bolts not available in the UK.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sounds rubbish to me. On my Nerve XC its all standard M size metric bolts. Bearings are also industry standard sizes I priced up a kit of bearings on ebay and they were all available from stock. In fact the bearings for the rocker pivot are the exact same size as on my mates Giant swinging arm pivot.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • prowbiker
    prowbiker Posts: 43
    That makes me feel better chaps thanks :-)

I really fancy an AM 7 - and the price has come down even more now !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 2006
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans Posts: 253
    prowbiker wrote:
    Hi Canyon owners,

Cheers

I have a Nerve AM. great bike, am very pleased with purchase. This sounds like total crap, I would assume the bikes are made in Taiwan like 99.6% of all bikes in the world (they certainly aren't expensive enough given the spec to be German frame-manu'd). It's not like I've stripped mine down totally but every bolt I've come across so far has been a standard metric.
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans Posts: 253
    Woody80 wrote:
    I've only just found the torque wrench adapter as well! That's 3 months after I'd put the bike together!!

I never found it... Lucky I used my own torque wrench anyway :D
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    mattjevans wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:
    I've only just found the torque wrench adapter as well! That's 3 months after I'd put the bike together!!

I never found it... Lucky I used my own torque wrench anyway :D
    It's in the handle.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    I just heard that my Torque FRX 6 has left the factory 3 weeks early. This is good news, except that it will arrive and then sit in its box for a week while I go on holiday. Fail! Still, happy days and good service!

P.S. For all those giving Cullen stick, my email asking about when it would actually be delivered was answered in about 10 minutes with specific information. He's been that useful all three times I have contacted him in the last year.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • NGMTB
    NGMTB Posts: 44
    I have bough two canyon bikes with no dramas, i must admit to always wondering when they are going to increase the staff levels in the canyon uk office.
    Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2
  • My problem has now been solved. I ended up getting a new wheel sent over to me from Canyon directly.

Took longer than expected for the problem to be resolved but at the end of the day Canyon did the right thing so i'm happy.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • SpeedFræk
    SpeedFræk Posts: 111
    I'm going to be buying a Canyon strive if they ever get any back in a S. or wait for the 2013 model. Not sure if they will look better or worse, hoping they will have glacier again!

Sarah
  • miguel73
    miguel73 Posts: 28
    I got a small Strive ES9.0 in glacier 3 weeks ago........the thing is an absolute beast and i love it! :lol:
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Stupid question:

All Canyons come with brakes the "wrong" way round - how easy is it to swap over? Is it something you could do yourself on the day or would it be a LBS trip?

Cheers
  • SpeedFræk
    SpeedFræk Posts: 111
    miguel73 wrote:
    I got a small Strive ES9.0 in glacier 3 weeks ago........the thing is an absolute beast and i love it! :lol:

I'm soooo jealous

Sarah