The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• Yeah if you send them a simple email it's fine. See my previous post saying I was happy with them but three days and no response to emails, canyon germany hanging up on me and canyon uk never picking up any call I've ever made or calling me back after asking in email and on answer machine. Surprised people can operate like that and make a living.
    2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I unfortunately got crap service from Canyon. First over a frame damaged by a badly routed brake hose then over a set of pedals they refused to warranty. Its not the 99% of times they get it right thats important its the 1% of times they cock up that show a companies ethics. I love my Canyon but wouldnt unfortunately say the same about the service.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Its not the 99% of times they get it right thats important its the 1% of times they fool up that show a companies ethics. I love my Canyon but wouldnt unfortunately say the same about the service.

You're correct in saying that. Spot on.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    stubs wrote:
    I unfortunately got crap service from Canyon. First over a frame damaged by a badly routed brake hose then over a set of pedals they refused to warranty. Its not the 99% of times they get it right thats important its the 1% of times they fool up that show a companies ethics. I love my Canyon but wouldnt unfortunately say the same about the service.

Right. If you're going to bring that up again, please tell the whole story - was it £150 they gave you for the hose/frame 'damage'?

Edit : Sorry, it was only 100 euros. my bad.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Let's just say he got 200 euros, doesn't change the way he thought he was dealt with previous to that. I would like to think that with me and the bike being less than a week or so old my issue will be resolved at some point but it's the in between part that makes a bigger impression in most cases.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    The service I got was excellent, they replied straight away with my emails before ordering and were really helpful on the phone.

Regarding damage, I had a small scratch/chip on the chainstay when it came but I thought 'Ah well, it'll get chipped riding soon enough' and so didn't bother sending it back, too much hassle
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Can only speak for my experiences and I had great service.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Let's just say he got 200 euros, doesn't change the way he thought he was dealt with previous to that. I would like to think that with me and the bike being less than a week or so old my issue will be resolved at some point but it's the in between part that makes a bigger impression in most cases.
    its all well and good you having a go at them, and i'm not saying your not justified to, but your doing it with out saying what the issues are, by that i mean what canyon are/are not doing about the problem
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • stubs
    Shackster wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    I unfortunately got crap service from Canyon. First over a frame damaged by a badly routed brake hose then over a set of pedals they refused to warranty. Its not the 99% of times they get it right thats important its the 1% of times they fool up that show a companies ethics. I love my Canyon but wouldnt unfortunately say the same about the service.

Right. If you're going to bring that up again, please tell the whole story - was it £150 they gave you for the hose/frame 'damage'?

Edit : Sorry, it was only 100 euros. my bad.

Yes I got a 100 euros credit note for the frame damage but if you read what I wrote I wasnt after compensation I was after Canyon Germany admitting they had made a mistake and asking them to contact all the people who got the dodgy hose routing and warning them and offering to get it sorted. I got zero responses from Germany even though I reported them to the German equivalent of Trading Standards. It turned out there were quite a large number of people who had this problem, I was the first to spot the problem with this batch of bikes and I hope that Canyon Germany did something about it. There have been no more reports of this problem so maybe my letter and email writing did get a response in Canyon HQ.

If someone asks for experiences of a company then all experiences are valid and no one should be discouraged from honestly reporting there experiences good or bad. If only one person reports bad experiences then an intelligent person will weigh up the evidence and make there own mind up.

My bike is still brilliant and still 10 times better than I could ever hope to be.

ps: the 100 euro credit note was spent on a pair of XTR spuds have been back for repair 3 times and still arent right but thats another story.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    stubs wrote:
    Yes I got a 100 euros credit note for the frame damage but if you read what I wrote I wasnt after compensation I was after Canyon Germany admitting they had made a mistake and asking them to contact all the people who got the dodgy hose routing and warning them and offering to get it sorted. I got zero responses from Germany even though I reported them to the German equivalent of Trading Standards. It turned out there were quite a large number of people who had this problem, I was the first to spot the problem with this batch of bikes and I hope that Canyon Germany did something about it. There have been no more reports of this problem so maybe my letter and email writing did get a response in Canyon HQ.
    maybe its still a problem the new buyers don't know about, i ordered my 2011 AM 6 just a few hours before they were showing sold out, when it arrived the cable was over the bb, but luckily i had read your post so was aware of the problem, a big thumbs up for that mate :D
  • stubs
    Nice one chez_m356 :D

Glad I managed to help someone out and stop there pride and joy being damaged. Now off to see if I can pedal through ankle deep mud and stay upright :lol:
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Shackster wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:
    Growmac wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:
    Can any Nerve owners tell me if it fits in a Thule Pro ride 591?

Jim, yes they do, both XC and AM are perfectly happy.

Cheers,

I went ahead and ordered an XC 7 anyway as I didnt think there would be a problem.

It landed in the UK thi morning and should be delivered Monday, I can't wait!

Let's hope you don't need to speak to Canyon UK at any point of your ownership!

I have and they were nothing but helpful. You can't rely on forum posts to get an objective view of anything.

I have on email due to an issue with payment but he was fine. I did try calling a couple of times but only got voicemail but it did say to email for a more prompt response.
  • chez_m356
    Jimx26 wrote:
    I have on email due to an issue with payment but he was fine. I did try calling a couple of times but only got voicemail but it did say to email for a more prompt response.
    yes it can be very hard to get through to cullen on the phone, you just need to keep trying, look how hard it can be to get through to utility companies by phone, you end up listening to elevator music for 20 minutes or more, and they employ a hell of a lot more people just to answer phones
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:
    yes it can be very hard to get through to cullen on the phone, you just need to keep trying, look how hard it can be to get through to utility companies by phone, you end up listening to elevator music for 20 minutes or more, and they employ a hell of a lot more people just to answer phones

Utility companies have a few millions customers so they are busy. Plus you can be directed to the right department so have to hold for that.

Canyon UK. One guy and one direct line phone. I would put money on him getting way less than 100 contacts per day. Not hard.

It's an answer machine message that asks for you to email "for a prompt response" but that's just being lazy. Getting to pick and choose what to deal with and forcing the customer into a method of contact.

Where a phone could have been picked up, an explanation of the fault given to Canyon UK and a resolution sorted could have been now lies 3 days plus now another 2 (weekend) of no reply to emails so now i just have to wait until he chooses to pick up his emails and not get the chance to speak over the phone ever after requesting this method.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:

Utility companies have a few millions customers so they are busy. Plus you can be directed to the right department so have to hold for that.

Canyon UK. One guy and one phone and i would put money on him getting way less than 100 contacts per day. Not hard.
    not hard, assuming that his one and only sole reason for employment is to sit there answering the phone
  • Ok, so let's say it's not. Say he has to package parts, check emails, send out parts (post office or courier), call suppliers, email suppliers etc etc. I would be surprised to hear if he did twice as much work and even then it's still not hard to press the reply button and let customers know what's happening let alone within 3 days.

I was even suspecting that Canyon UK was also a UK bike shop just helping Canyon Germany out so if that was the situation then his interests should come first. I wouldn't deny that but then that takes the issue back to Canyon Germany who told me they couldn't help me with my wheel. So wait, i spend just shy of £4k on bikes to be told all this from the HQ in Germany. Nice. Oh, and that's after i was hung up on from a women in the HQ after saying it wasn't very good them having 1 person to deal with the work in the UK.

I'm not picking faults with Cullen as an individual, don't know the guy and i'm sure he can do what he can when he can. But, when i have an issue with a warranty claim, policy or procedure with any supplier it's them as a company i'm upset and complaining about.

This all breaks down to Canyon HQ finding it acceptable to offer poor support in the UK. Maybe it isn't for most of the enquiries they get but it certainly appears that with popularity, their UK after sales service is needing updating.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    so have you or have not heard back from cullen ? in my experience, what they would do with the wheel is send it back to the manufacturers for them to either repair or replace, which can take time
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    so have you or have not heard back from cullen ? in my experience, what they would do with the wheel is send it back to the manufacturers for them to either repair or replace, which can take time

Ok, to clarify all of this from my situation.

I initially tried to call Cullen for most of one day day. No answer so i ended up emailing him and very briefly mentioning the issue. Didn't mention which of the two bikes i had the issue with, just that i wanted to speak to him about a problem with a rim. In the email it asked him to call me so we could discuss and i'd already examined the wheel and it was clearly a manufacturing fault.

In an ideal world with me explaining and showing them pictures they could see it was a faulty wheel so they could send out a replacement and collect the faulty one at the same time. I knew that wouldn't happen and it was going to have to be sent to someone for them to examine and just delay things further as with most situations like this.

Anyway, Cullen did reply in the first day i contacted saying that he had contacted Mavic and i'd to send the wheel back to them. All was good up until this point as they even offered to refund the cost of me sending the wheel to Mavic up to a cost of £12. However, he chose to ignore the request to speak to me over the phone and in doing so he'd also decided, incorrectly, which bike i had the fault with.

I tried to call again but no answer so i emailed and clarified that the issue with with the Strive wheel and not the Nerve wheel. I also simply mentioned that i wanted to speak to a person about this over the phone and that the mix up wouldn't have happened if he called me as asked. Since then the 3 days has come and gone with nothing back from him.

Call me old fashioned but i much prefer speaking to people over the phone and getting things sorted there and then because you cannot always get things across correctly in text and emails.

In earlier posts i did say he was good enough to send out a replacement hanger when one was damaged in transit but that was just a quick email to him explaining the issue and for a part i never needed. Reason being the replacement i bought at the same time as the bike was now on and the bike and it was rideable. For that part it could have taken a week or so for him to sort out another and no bother to me.

Now i actually have an issue with a rim and want to speak to him, even by "prompt response email" i get nothing. I don't want to use the rim on the bike just in case i have an accident and there is further damage to the wheel causing claim issues or the likes. This is where my issue lies.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Just to add. People can make up their own opinions about this all but the facts are that if Canyon UK called me Monday to arrange the fix, in reality would anyone be happy with contacting their brand new bike supplier on a Wednesday and not hearing back from them until the following Monday after multiple emails and call attempts?

I do hope this happens Monday as i just want my bike fixed but yet i still know i've to go through sending the wheel away, paying for that, dealing with courier etc, arranging getting the cost back, someone at Canyon or Sun Ringle saying yes it's faulty and then getting another wheel. At a guess from send out to getting back i wouldn't be surprised at 2 weeks minimum and that's not including all this pish over the past few days.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    i see what your saying now and i understand, and it does seem strange that he has made no contact at all, of course if he was away from work for some reason, illness/holiday etc, there would be no one there to answer any issues, but like you mentioned earlier, not very good planning by canyon if thats the case
  • poppit
    If I was you I'd just send the rim back to him like he suggested. I did the same with my Reverb although it went straight to Sram instead of him. Got it back after about a week all fixed, no probs.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit wrote:
    If I was you I'd just send the rim back to him like he suggested. I did the same with my Reverb although it went straight to Sram instead of him. Got it back after about a week all fixed, no probs.

Not sure you read my post correctly. He never asked me to send any rim to him. He asked me to send to Mavic (with no specific address) even though it wasn't a Mavic wheel.

You did the same but did it different. Nice :D
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    poppit wrote:

Not sure you read my post correctly. He never asked me to send any rim to him. He asked me to send to Mavic (with no specific address) even though it wasn't a Mavic wheel.

in my case a wheel was sent back to him,was then forwarded to whoever does dt swiss over here,was repaired then back to him, then me
  • I'm fine with that idea. Not a problem. Just wish i had a head start with the phone call i asked for rather than the delay i've received.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • poppit
    poppit wrote:

Whatever
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • chez_m356
    if it was myself, i wouldn't be sat around waiting for a phone call in the first place, if i wanted to speak to someone over a matter like this i would be ringing them until i got an answer regardless of how many times i had to try, from personal experience, it was very rare to get hold of cullen on the first few attempts, often more than quite a few
  • Yeah I have tried calling multiple times. A hell of a lot more times than anyone should have to.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    My Nerve XC 7 arrived yesterday, after a couple of issues with payment that was more down to my bank than Canyon it was a pleasant experience. Delivery took just 5 working days which is pretty good considering the website said 2 week lead time :D
    Took me a while to work out the Torque wrench had an adaptor though :oops:
    I've only had a quick blast around the block and so far I'm very impressed with the finish and attention to detail and none of the frame quality issues that I had with 3 Boardmans.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I've only just found the torque wrench adapter as well! That's 3 months after I'd put the bike together!!