Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Jamie,
    Steve, Carl and me are getting out most weeks either on a tuesday or thursday. Last week was the 1st full ride with lights all the way. We usually set out from Elton and finish the ride with a pint at the Black Horse if you're interested!

Chris
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • What route do you normally take? Normally i run tuesday/thursday but reckon i would be able to make one of those days at least.
  • Troopy
    Our usual route is Elton through to Yarwell up through Sulehey Woods across to Fotheringhay then warmington and then the back way into Elton. It's around 15 miles with most of it being off road.
    Chris
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    Who's up for Thursday night?

Errrrrr, possibly not me according to my Mrs :oops:
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    Carl you just have to tell her who the boss is ...........................or does she already know!!!
    Are you sure you can't make Thursday?
  • Carlos13
    Oh, she's hosting some kind of aromatherapy party, I think I will be required to keep the kids occupied.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Carlos13
    Yep, I have been given the orders for tomorrow night, and they don't include mud, Tesco torches or pints of Barnwell bitter. :(

I could make Friday night, or Saturday afternoon.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    A long as you make sure that sacrificing thursday is noted, then it's all brownie points in the bag!!
    I might not be able to make Friday night (will let you know) but Saturday afternoon should be good.
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    I'm up for Fri or Sat, as you prefer.
    Legs have stopped aching now; did the GER in 2hr30, which is a terrible time. Had to run/walk from the 8mile mark. However, I am going to play the broken toes/rib card to elicit some sympathy.
    Now to start training for Reading Half in March.

See you in Elton then - can't wait to do that bit in Sulehay again - although bet it's more fun in the opposite direction!
  • mbrfan wrote:
    See you in Elton then - can't wait to do that bit in Sulehay again - although bet it's more fun in the opposite direction!

See you in Elton then - can't wait to do that bit in Sulehay again - although bet it's more fun in the opposite direction![/quote]

Which bit is that then? The quarry or woods?

Anyways.

Right, i am in Chicksands Friday, so depending on how many times i fall off i will be up for Saturday afternoon/night as it is about time i made an effort.

Incidentally of the weekend, Sunday is supposed to be the hottest day.
  • mbrfan
    That would be the woods Jamie. normally we enter via the Wansford-Yarwell road, and take the first path on the left, swing round in a semicircle to re-emerge just before the quarry. In the opposite direction you make the best of the slight decline.

Good luck in Chicksands. Perhaps we should do Fri evening and Sun morning?
  • It is definitely better to hit yarwell woods from the quarry end, has a bit of a downhill gradient to it and is 4 mins of fairly interesting tree dodging fun!
  • Troopy
    Steve
    It's the Trail Quest at Lutterworth on sunday, are you up for it? anyone else fancy a go?
  • What is the Trail Quest? (too lazy to google :wink: )

Anyhoo, as mentioned above assuming i do not break myself, CRC failed to deliver my full facer/pads today :evil: , at chicksands tomorrow i will be up for something on the Sat. Ideally something evening-ish maybe as yet to have my first night ride.
  • Troopy
    Jamie
    www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk
    You will find all you need to know here, Steve and me have done just the one event, the first of the season, there was another one the other week but i thought that it was not a point scoring event, however, looking at the league some competitors have scored at 2 events. There are 5 events and you take your 4 best scores.
  • Troopy
    I can't make tonight and nor can Carl but both of us are up for a ride tomorow pm. The later the better for me, I wouldn't say no to an early evening ride, don't know if Carl is ok with this though.
    Chris
  • mbrfan
    Sorry guys, haven't checked in for a while. Dropped the ball on the TrailQuest this Sunday - not paying attention to my calendar. Got the one at Cannock in my sights though.

Sat evening is a go-er. can someone suggest a time? Happy to do our loop again.

Steve
  • Carlos13
    Yep I am ok with this evening, so long as I can get home before the entire evening is gone. How about we start at 1830 at Troopy's?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • mbrfan
    Done.
  • Troopy
    Steve and Carl
    Perfect time for me, see you both then.
    Jamie are you going to try out your lights?
  • Afternoon all.

I am aching after yesterdays trip to Chicksands, but am up for tonight as really want to try out my lights/night riding in general. As if i decide night riding is not up my alley, then i need to sell my new Airbike SSC P7 Everlight due to just getting my worryingly weighty credit card bill for this month :wink:

I am coming from Orton Longueville so not sure where everyone else is gravitating from. Do not know where Troopy lives so will have to meet near a landmark in Elton? The Pub or Village Shop maybe?
  • mbrfan
    Jamie,

We'll meet you in front of the Black Horse, 6:30.

Steve
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Hope no one minds me jumping in on this topic but just seen the heading and was wondering anyone on here from around the Cambridge area?

Seems most of you are Peterborough way
  • Troopy
    land-83
    apoc_reg, who hasn't been on the site for a while now, is from the Cambridge way, his last post was on page 62. Apart from Reg I think most are either from Peterborough or the surrounding areas.
  • dave83
    dave83 Posts: 3
    Hi Land-83, i am new to Cambridge and looking for some fellow riders to show me the local trails. If your up for some rides then count me in.

Dave
  • langy
    langy Posts: 7
    Might be worth taking a look at this website http://www.cammtb.co.uk/ for Cambridge rides.
    Night riding is the way to go....
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Ta for that langy will check that link out.

Dave83 i am thinking of finding this local site and joining them for a few rides.
  • mbrfan
    Next TrailQuest at Cannock Chase on sunday 2nd Nov - any takers?
  • Carlos13
    Anyone up for Friday night? I wouldn't be able to start until 1930-2000, but since it's dark from 1800 now, it doesn't make much difference, we're not trying to catch the light.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    Steve - I could be up for the trail quest, if you'd like we could team up or if you fancy doing it solo then i'm game to give that a go.

Carl - friday should be OK for me