Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Steve thanks for helping me on my popularity quest at my local, always good to earn brownie points with the local landlord.

To all, the pub did the same a few weeks ago and it was really good, the band were excellent playing a good mix of covers from Oasis to Chris Rock to the Stones. The kids were all at the front and thoroughly entertained as were all the adults. The BBQ isn't extensive but good quality and for £4.50 you get a burger, hot dog, green salald, coleslaw and potato salad. There is no other cost except for the odd beer or two or three or etc.
    As with Steve, it would be good to see those of you I've already met and those who I've yet to meet.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Right, who is up for a ride tonight?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    Count me in Carl, depending on what happens at his work I think Steve is up for a ride also. I can meet at anytime but I think Steve's availibility may be a factor.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Ok I too can make it anytime.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Sunday morning, first thing?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Yes, any ideas for a route? Suggested Fineshades to Troopy, maybe park at Kings Cliffe?

Or meet up somehwere else? I'm easy.
  • mbrfan
    8am @ Troopy's in Elton, then we head towards Fineshades.

See you then.
  • Ok
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • mbrfan
    Carl and I are thinking of a late afternoon ride tomorrow (Sat), probably our usual loop from near Elton. Anyone else care to join in? 4pm tentative, meet by Black Horse in Elton - probably the best landmark to finish at too!

Steve
  • Troopy
    Steve
    Sorry for not being about this weekend, hope you have a good ride. Lights are charged for an evening ride next week!
  • mbrfan
    Change of plan for 4pm today - now at the A1M underpass near Haddon. Carl and Scott so far.

Chris, have fun this weekend, see you during the week.

S
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    I have one of the Fenix torches, which I mount to my helmet using the same mount shown in the photo Scott posted (of the torch mounted to the bars - I think the mount fits most helmets, it certainly fits the Giro Hex). It's adequate for riding at night, though I would prefer to also mount one on the bars, just haven't bought another one yet. Whether it's a proper substitute for expensive lights, I don't know. It is miles brighter than your typical Halfords front light, though.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    yeah I have them too. I have two - one on the bars/one on the helmet or 2 on the bars. I think 3 altogether, with 2 bars/1 helmet would be optimal.

Or perhaps a pair of ayups on the bars and a fenix on the helmet? The ayups kit with a set on the bars and another on the helmet must be the perfect setup.
  • mbrfan
    Saw the reviews of the AyUp on mbr - very impressive. Looks like a possible for Santa's list. Carlos is trying out the Tesco lights on a separate thread, so we'll see what he thinks of them.

All, this thread is getting a bit light for contributions - has interest waned?

s
  • Larok
    have you got a link to the ayup review please Steve?
  • On the subject of lights i ordered some of these from on-one for £115

everlight2.jpg
  • ooooh I'm thinking of ordering them too, was looking at loads of different sets and they suddenly appeared at that stupidly cheap price. I was looking at the dinnotte 600l and these are pretty much on par with them in terms of lumens, but at about half the price!!
  • on the topic of the fenix torches, which ones did you guys get, the model in the photo? or the model in the photo on the bike? They do look pretty mental though. The other option I was thinking of before was a d-cell maglite upgrade, mounted with one of those fenix mounts. There is a kit that makes a d-cell maglite 600 lumens!!!! but it is like 55 quid or something.

Kris

EDIT: when I say d-cell maglite I do mean a 2-cell, before people think i'm a spanner for suggesting strapping a 6 D-cell to your handlebars!!
  • Larok
    edited October 2008
    The L2D. There is a newer/higher lumen model but I selected the L2D as it uses AA batteries, (got a recharge kit with 3700mah AA's), which keeps overall costs down. You need a spare set for each torch as they run for about an hour and a half on turbo.

All this talk about lights makes me think I night ride is in order. Anyone up for that when we're equipped?
  • I could be up for that!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • My lights are not even in the country yet till next week sometime hopefully, but when i have them i will be up for it.
  • Larok
    Ok chaps lets think about a night ride in a couple of weeks. A Sat night maybe?

Jamie, that's a whole lot of lumens for the buck. I'd be interested to hear/see how you find them.
  • mbrfan
    Scott, the AY-UP review is on P106 in the Nov08 mbr. Comes out 10/10 in the grouptest.

We did the Elton loop (with detour) on Tues night and had fun. Best bit was the singletrack around Sulehay Wood and a near encounter with a badger - Chris can tell you all about that.
    Carl had read the thread about Tesco 3W torches so we strapped on few and must say was impressed - over two hours with the cheap batteries and still going. Not bad for £10 each and some tape.

Got a mate looking into some Exposure lights at cost price. so will report back.

Won't be able to do this Sat - need to rest my legs before the GER on Sunday.

Steve
  • Carlos13
    That Air Bike light appears to be twice as powerful as the Ayup, for less money. Also, from the reviews it seems to have a very wide field, which to my mind would make it ideal in conjunction with a helmet light. I was messing round last night with 3 torches on my bonce. A few rides like that and I'll have a neck like a nightclub bouncer. Or a spinal injury.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Steve
    If you want to have a look at some ayups let me know.
    i have got the Endurance set.
    Send me an email at work if you want.
    Or tell Aaron to get hold of me.
    Cheers
    Graham
  • Got my Air Bikes from On-One today. They are bright. Very bright. Might stick a batman symbol on the lens and see if i can get the caped crusader over to Longueville :wink:
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Gents,
    Just caught this in the ET.
    Keep your eyes peeled because the scrotes that took this won't know what they have.
    http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Shed-raider-rides-off-on.4581920.jp
    Steve
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Carlos13
    They will now!

Was it anyone on here that I passed earlier this afternoon on the bridleway between Milton Park and Upton? Dark grey/black hardtail with white Fox forks?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Sooooooo. Anyone starting to think about some night riding yet?