Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Wag$ter
    Wag$ter Posts: 69
    whenever just let me know :D
    I did it on sunday night it was a bog! its very muddy after some rain, missis wouldnt let me in house i was that muddy :lol:
  • tankduck
    tankduck Posts: 36
    i'm up for a saturday or sunday ride, need something to take my mind off not being able to get reading tickets :( First time i've missed it in ages :(
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Can't make this weekend. See you next time
  • Wag$ter
    Shall we plan a time and a place to meet for thetford on saturday then?
    Brandon Country Park? 10:00?
    anytime is ok for me
  • Larok
    Hi, anyone fancy a ride today from Peterborough out to Elton and around? Or Cake you going to Thetford?
  • I'm fixing Betty today - no riding possible unfortunately... SITS did more damage thanI thought...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Larok
    good excuse to get new bits!
  • Hi Guys,
    Forgive me for butting in but finding riders in the flat lands is always interesting, I'm familiar with riding in Wakerley Woods but I see you guys are talking about riding in Fineshades, from my past experience horse riding here and currently dog walking, it all seems pretty flat to me, what do you know that I don't? and more importantly are you willing to share it?
    For the record I live right on the edge of Rutland Water but spend a lot of my time riding Cannock Chase (not FTD), The Long Mynd and Peak District all of which I know pretty well so more than willing to swap info.
    Mike
  • apoc_reg
    apoc_reg Posts: 166
    Wag$ter wrote:
    anytime is ok for me

10:30 as im out Friday night :D

See you then
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • Larok
    Puddle, you'd be more than welcome to meet up for a ride Elton way?
  • Dunno why you lot are getting muddy, you should go exploring on the brandon side, its sandy and never anywhere as near as bad as the black or red.
    Better riding too
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Hi Guys,
    For the record I live right on the edge of Rutland Water but spend a lot of my time riding Cannock Chase (not FTD), The Long Mynd and Peak District all of which I know pretty well so more than willing to swap info.
    Mike

Hi Mike
    I've ridden quite a few times at Cannock with a mate who used to live in Litchfield and knew the area well, there is some really good riding away from FTD so if you're looking for company over there give me a shout. That goes for the long Mynd and the Peaks as I would like to start exploring these areas. Do you ride Wales at all?
    I rode Wakerley some years ago and from what I remember it was OK but haven't been back there since, don't know why! (I think when people refer to Fineshades they mean Fineshades/Wakerley)

Hi all,
    Just come back from Morzine (Alps) and have a little footage of the Chavanne downhill along with a few photos that I will try and get on here.

I should be out this weekend at some point if anyone is around?
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • apoc_reg
    Yeah love to see the video Troopy, i too would like to explore that area so maybe we should get some sort of excursion together before to long!
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • Wag$ter
    apoc_reg wrote:
    Wag$ter wrote:
    anytime is ok for me

See you then

Ok mate see you there :D anyone else coming?
  • apoc_reg
    Wag$ter wrote:
    apoc_reg wrote:
    Wag$ter wrote:
    anytime is ok for me

See you then

Ok mate see you there :D anyone else coming?

Sorry for the short notice Wagster but Im going to need to go into town and get a disc brake bracket first so WONT make it for 10:30!

Got a crack in mine?!?!

Hope you get this mate, still will be going over there.
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Guys, went to Woburn this morning with Troopy. Great fun, with loads to do whatever style/bike you fancy. It looks like it could be a good all-weather option for the winter, and about 60mins from P'boro, just the other side of Chicksands. I am planning to go again on Sunday 7th Sept., an early set-off, maybe 07:30. Would anyone else be willing to tag along?

S
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    How does Woburn differ from Chicksands?

Planning on going Chicksands for the first time on Friday, but if Woburn has more to offer might try and convince my mate to go there, i dont drive so bit stuck y'see.
  • mbrfan
    Well, limited experience of both, but from what I could see, if you are after singletrack with the odd challenging descent thrown in, then Woburn wins by a square mile or two. Chicksands for north shore or dual slalom, both for freeride and jumps.

Tell you what, do Chicksands on Friday, and we can arrange lifts to Woburn for the 7th - and you get the best of both. For the jumps/freeride area of Chicksands, there's a bit of layby parking at the north of the woods that is just across where you want to be - go early and get the place pretty much to yourself.
    S
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    That sounds like a plan.
  • Troopy
    Yeh Great ride yesterday Steve, I'll be up for the 7th.
    Jamie both Steve and me agreed that it is a much better area than Thetford, maybe not as big but closer and with more variety. Once you get to know the area it will be possible to put some good entertaining loops together. Only down side is that in some areas it is quite sandy, not good for wear on the bike/chain.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • PaulTh
    PaulTh Posts: 17
    I've seen mention of Trailquests on this thread before, so if anyone fancies something a bit different we are running the first round of the Midland Autumn Trailquest series from Holbeach Hurn on Sunday 7th September. About 30 minutes from P'boro.

Full details at www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk

It's certainlly a different type of mountain biking, particulalrly in the Fens, but good fun and a friendly crowd if you fancy giving it a go.
  • mbrfan
    Thanks Paul, I've registered on the site and will persuade Troopy to join me in the team event for the 7th. I've done one of these before in the Chilterns, and it was a blast. I'll remember to take a map holder this time!

S
  • PaulTh
    Great, always good to see new faces.

Used to live in the Chilterns and did quite a few of the Trailbreak events down there, good mountain bike country - I miss the Hills (most of the time !)
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    hi all still about anyone about for tomorrow localy friday as i be out and about for aride :o
    play hard ride hard
  • mbrfan
    Paul, Troopy is up for it, so we'll see you there. Some questions, hope we're not being cheeky: what's the best bet for tyre choice in the flatlands - should we go skinny, semi-slicks? Or take a selection and work it out on the day?
    When you did the Chilterns, did you ever go along that cliff along the Thames at Pangbourne - and did you take on the steps and survive? Always scared the hell out of me.

Anthony, sorry mate we went out this evening - the forum had gone quiet, so we thought everyone way on holiday. It's not too bad out on the byways around Old Sulehay if you head over there, there's even a nice little blast around the bridleways in the woods there, with an option to head into the 4x4 area and mess about on the slopes there.

Steve
  • apoc_reg
    Let me know when your going to Woburn again, i fancy checking that out.

I've found it impossible to log in a lot recently, maybe thats why its a bit quieter too!

Reg
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • PaulTh
    Steve, those who did best last Autumn went for semi-slicks. The off road can be hard going, but isn't very technical, and being flat means bigger distances, so easy rolling with some side traction works well - unless we get a lot of rain / mud in the next week which is highly unlikely.

I remember those steps well, we even tried them once on our MTB Tandem. I seem to remember that they start off not too bad with a couple of monster steps at the bottom which you could escape to the side - though I think they then did a lot of repair work which removed that option - and we walked down after that !

Look forward to seeing you at the event. Paul.
  • Troopy
    I've registered for the Trail Quests
  • mbrfan
    Hey Paul, so you're one of the tandem guys that was on the Woodcote Navigator a couple of years back? Very impressed and somewhat envious of your score - we were so cocky cos it was our home patch, we'd done the area the week before and reccie'd the state of the tracks, but we soon came down to earth when the scores came in - some young lady had blown away the rest of the pack and we were near-last.
    Thanks for the tyre advice.

Reg, we were planning to go back to Woburn next week, and then this TrailQuest came up. Perhaps we can agree on the following Sunday, 14th? Anyone else?

Troopy, I'll see you this Sunday at the BBQ to sort out preparation for our first MTQ. Did you register us for the event, or just get your id number?

Steve
  • nipa
    nipa Posts: 4
    Hey all...

I live in Peterborough (for now !) and was wondering if you post a few of the better places to ride near here. Have been Woburn / Chicksands but am curious if there is anywhere closer by ??

Cheers