Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    OK Nipa, you have:
    Bourne Woods to the north for a pootle along some singletrack, and a hidden jump/DH track in the process of development
    Thetford if you fancy a drive
    Woburn/Chicksands that you already know about
    Fineshades Wood, but yet to find anything of interest there
    The local byways and bridleways.
    There are some loops from Ferry Meadows that others might have more info on
    There are a few loops that you can pick and mix from that combine track, road and bridleway around Oundle, that you can access from the Green Wheel, but some are not really options for winter when it all goes boggy. We've got a few favourites that we can introduce you to, including a few with pub stops.
    Plus, there's a jump area in some woods near the Ikea distribution centre
    and the BMX track to test your mettle in Orton Malbourne
    A quarry near Wansford for messing about in - take a shovel

I'm sure I've missed some, but the other guys will chip in, I'm sure. There's usually a trip of some sort every Sunday you could join in on, and a few of us meet up weekday evenings - although we're going to need lights soon.

Hope that sums up the past 800 or so posts!

Steve
  • nipa
    nipa Posts: 4
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Steve.... I live on Park Farm so know the jumps near Ikea (was so much better 15 yrs ago though when I was at school !!!)... the area a bit further towards Yaxley is pretty good too (Farcet Lakes).. a few decent climbs / descents (though v short), a few steps to play on etc

Have been Thetford and liked it but prefer not to have to drive places if I can help it !!

Might give Bourne Woods a try tomorrow, would be good to meet up with some fellow MTBer's around Peterborough..

Mark
  • apoc_reg
    apoc_reg Posts: 166
    Soinds good to me mbr, i'll pencil it in :)
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • nipa
    Rode at Bourne yesterday, was good but I didn't manage to find the hidden jump !!
  • I got bored today and took the time to write up my usual evening ride...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mi ... gular-Ride

Enjoy :)

Also, I've mapped the old route to Rutland and back I used to do every weekend - it's not for the faint hearted ;)

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Th ... Water-Ride

It's a very nice little tool is that mapper at Bikely - maybe we should get a whole catalogue of semi-decent rides around Peterborough onto it?
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • nipa
    I've stuck on a few of my regular rides onto Bikely... definately think its a good idea if we could all come up with a decent selection of rides around Peterborough..
  • Steve / Chris (and indeed anyone else thinking of coming to the Midland Trailquest on Sunday). If you haven't already, take another look at the Midland Trailquests forum, I've put some info up on trail conditions after doing the first part of setting out today. It's looking good, despite the rain !

Paul.
  • mbrfan
    Thanks Paul. See you there.
  • Me and another boro' guy off this forum, cant remember his username for the life of me are off to Glentress & Kielder Forest next week for a few days of mtb fun. Just incase there happened to be anybody else from the boro heading up that way, thought i'd mention it.

Anyone who's been there have any tips/suggestions?
  • Bike Bloke wrote:
    Me and another boro' guy off this forum, cant remember his username for the life of me are off to Glentress & Kielder Forest next week for a few days of mtb fun. Just incase there happened to be anybody else from the boro heading up that way, thought i'd mention it.

Anyone who's been there have any tips/suggestions?

Keeilder is great, the cross border trail from keilder castle is really worth the (Considerable) effort!!

I want to get up there in the next few weeks, know a couple of cheap b&bs too!
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Thanks for today Steve, i enjoyed it and 13th out of 20 or so is not too bad for starters, some good experience to take to the next round.
    Anyone else interested in having a go at trail quest? Steve and I did the Midland Autumn Series first round today at Holbeach, a bit harder than I thought it was going to be but a good work out with so pretty good nosh at the finish.
    Bike Bloke, I’ve not done Kielder but have ridden Glentress and Innerleithen. The Red run at Glentress is superb and if you start it from the Buzzards Nest (top) car park it's about the right length to do a couple of times on the same has day and less XC than the black, you have to do Dave's Shute (no it's not euphemism) it's a very short drop that looks more scary than it is.
    But whatever you do the riding is superb, hope you great time.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Chris/Steve glad you enjoyed event. Sorry about telling you you'd won the non-existant mens team category ! You'd think after umpteeen years of riding these events I'd know the rules. :roll:

Seriouslly though, in Trailbreak events there is a mens team category, hence my confusion. But in any case that was a pretty good first effort on a tough course that caught out many other riders.

Hopefully see you at another event soon when we'll be back to competing rather than organising.

PS. We make a special effort on the food - it wont be that good at all events :(
  • Thanks for the few tips, taking my rather lightweight hardtail up with me, so unfortunately some of the more fun jumps will have to be missed, but getting up the hills shouldnt be too hard ;) Hopefully the weather will be kind.
  • mbrfan
    Well Paul, it was good fun and I'd recommend my P'boro colleagues, especially those with an XC leaning, to give it a try. I'm not the fittest out there, as Troopy will testify, but it was obvious that good route planning goes a long way to high scores, which is what we will work on next time.

There's a stand-alone event in 2 weeks at Naseby, organinsed by CATS. It's a good opportunity to get out and explore an area, so come on guys, who's up for it?

For this coming Sunday, I'm planning to go to Woburn again, maybe set off at 7am, so that I can have a good nose around and be back for lunch. Weather will not put me off. Does anyone want a lift?

Steve
  • I may be up for that Steve. I am riding down in Surrey on Saturday, so have to tread carefully, will let you know. If someone else definitely wants a lift, go for it. I can always drive down.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Back from Kielder & Glentress and what can i say...it was brilliant. The weather for Kielder was truly horrific and i nearly got blown off my bike trying to get to the top of deadwater in zero visibility, rain cloud conditions. But despite that below the cloud level there were some great descents, some would have been better on a FS bike, but, i didnt fall off and didnt get any punctures or worse damage... :D

Glentress was absolutely brilliant though, had much better weather (only slight rain at times), would definitely recommend the trip up there, shame its not closer!!
  • Hi Steve.
    What time are you planning on getting to woburn on sunday?
    Might make it down there. I will show you the downhill play areas. Also there are some fun bits around too
  • mbrfan
    graham, probably about 8am. Not sure name of road I'm parking on [Sandy Lane?].

Bike bloke, sounds good. Was talking to Troopy about maybe a lads weekend next year in Scotland - we got 4 for CyB thi year, so maybe we can get a few others to think about it?

Steve
  • Ok will try to drag my sorry ass out in the morning then.
    Hopefully see you there
  • mbrfan
    Hi Graham,

sorry I missed you. I arrived at 7:30 so went for a potter about. I had a mess around in the DH area about 8:20, then took off on the other side of Sandy Lane. Found some really nice trails as well as a nice technical downhill near the golf course. In all a good morning was had.. Even popped into Ikea for the missus on the way back.
    Pity there's not a caff nearby, bet it would do good business.

Hope you had a good session too.
  • Erk! This thread on page 2? Can't be having that!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Was thinking the same thing...
  • mbrfan wrote:
    graham, probably about 8am. Not sure name of road I'm parking on [Sandy Lane?].

Bike bloke, sounds good. Was talking to Troopy about maybe a lads weekend next year in Scotland - we got 4 for CyB thi year, so maybe we can get a few others to think about it?

Steve

I'll be up for a weekend whenever one gets organised, need some hills in my life!

Has been a bit quiet on here the last couple of weeks, think everyone's just depressed at the weather! My excuse is its year end at work so have had to knock the 3 hour ride homes (leaving cheekily early :P ) into a 20 min car journey boo!!
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • I'm going for a ride at 4:30 to 5pm today if anyone fancies it?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    willrideforcake and bike bloke,
    Am I missing something? I don't understand your earlier comments. I may just being thick as I’ve read page 2 and nothing too out of the ordinary jumps out.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Our little (!) thread was no longer on the front page of the rides forum, as things had gone a little quiet around these here parts. The post was, on my part, simply intended to be a cheeky little bump to restore the boro bikers thread to its' rightful place at the head of the mighty bikeradar ride forum queue. That's all, nothing sinister... 8)
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • It's Tuesday, anyone out tonight?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    Carl
    Just seen your post, sorry for not replying but I'm going to be working really late tonight, but I should be out on thursday night if you're around.
    Chris
  • Not around Thursday, and possibly not around tomorrow either. Friday might be good.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • mbrfan
    Friday good for me too.

Right everyone, non-bike related but definitely food , music and beer-related. Black Horse in Elton this Sunday, BBQ and band from 5pm. Come down, bring the family, earn Troopy some brownie points with his local landlord. Be good to see some of you again, and meet those I haven't.
    Forecast for Sun is dry, up to 18 degrees. Good for riding and beer.

Steve