Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Thanks for the advice, i'm toying between some Conti Mountain King Protections and the Nobby Nic's, or just throwing caution to the wind and perhaps Supersonic Mountain Kings. Then there's the sizing...ahh tyres are so confusing!!
  • redoz
    redoz Posts: 2
    Just moved to the P'boro area and in the process of finding a MTB and a place to ride it. Any tips on where I can find quality used bikes??

Appreciate any tips.

Cheers
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Bike Bloke
    The sizing for around here is pretty easy, you don't really need anything much bigger than 1.9 - 1.95 especially in the winter. I've even ridden with this size in Wales, but if you don’t want to go for a mud tyre then I wouldn't look at anything much bigger than 2.1 for the local rides. The bigger the tyre the more rolling resistance :(
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Bike Bloke
    Hmm, just seems odd putting tiny tyres on a rather heavy and completely unsuitable bike for around here lol! There in lays the problem haha. Anyone want a nice Teocali Elite??
  • redoz wrote:
    Just moved to the P'boro area and in the process of finding a MTB and a place to ride it. Any tips on where I can find quality used bikes??

Appreciate any tips.

Cheers

Welcome, redoz 8)

What type of bike are you looking for ? If you are looking for quaility used bike then Rutland Water is your best bet, they have a big shop with lots of choice over at the whitwell side, and they also sell of there ex demo fleet twice a year.

Hope this helps
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • Bike Bloke wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, i'm toying between some Conti Mountain King Protections and the Nobby Nic's, or just throwing caution to the wind and perhaps Supersonic Mountain Kings. Then there's the sizing...ahh tyres are so confusing!!

Bike Bloke

I am running Panaracer Cinders 2.1 on my Kona Cindercone and 2.25 on my Kona Dawg.

These are rated in What mountain bike as a very good all year round tyre, never let me down so far...
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

• Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    as apoc_reg said, I have NNs and had no end of punctures. I still recommend them though, they grip really well in the thick mud that can be found in the shade in these parts. Aside from punctures, I don't think they are reknowned for durability-they wear quickly. They seem to roll well, and they are light. I don't care about durability or cost (within reason) compared with grip.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Bike Bloke
    Think i'll go with the Nobby Nic's, and just look after them well : ) cheers!
  • redoz
    redoz Posts: 2
    Welcome, redoz

What type of bike are you looking for ? If you are looking for quaility used bike then Rutland Water is your best bet, they have a big shop with lots of choice over at the whitwell side, and they also sell of there ex demo fleet twice a year.
    Hope this helps

Lee,

Thanks for the suggestion on the shop. I am not sure at this stage what type of bike I want other than something that will suit the terrain around here and be up to a little more punishment if i take it to some decent hills. Do you have any opinion on hard tales vs full rear suspension??

red
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    edited August 2008
    Hi Redoz! Welcome to the P-Town!

Go for a ful sus if you can get a decent one.

Here are some pics from the internet of coed-y-brenin, pretty much as it was

1047899.012.jpg

Coed%20Y%20Brenin%20003.jpg

20070923_COEDYBRENIN_MARATHON_550B.JPG
  • tankduck
    tankduck Posts: 36
    anyone fancy a trip before the end of the summer? It looks awesome and I'm gutted I missed the weekends wales expedition :( but in all fairness I'm still getting used to the bike and pampering it like a baby so would have slowed everyone down.
  • redoz wrote:

Lee,

Thanks for the suggestion on the shop. I am not sure at this stage what type of bike I want other than something that will suit the terrain around here and be up to a little more punishment if i take it to some decent hills. Do you have any opinion on hard tales vs full rear suspension??

red

Redoz

From what you have written sounds like you want to go Full Suspension 8) , but the type of bike really depends on the type of riding you are and planning to do.

Question :?: , Have you own a mountain bike before and getting back in the sport or are you completely new ?

Question :?: What type of riding do you want to do, and what sort of places are you planning on riding ?

Would recommend speaking to people at Rutland and test riding as many bikes as you can before buying, both Hardtail and Full Suspension as opinion on bike type is a very personel choice (plus I have a Hardtail and a Full Sus as well :shock: ) so would be hard to pass judgement on either.
    Lee

• apoc_reg
    apoc_reg Posts: 166
    So Guys,

Whats the plan for Sunday?

Chicksands, Thetford, Bourne Woods... im easy!

Scott that looks like great fun! Certainly reminds me of the Lakes etc
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • tankduck
    Anyone fancy going riding on saturday? Was thinking either Bourne, Thetford or Chicksands...etc.

Kris

EDIT: Oh god, I did it again, started writing a post, finished it off 45 mins later only to find there is already a post pretty much asking what I'm asking.

Am I welcome to join you guys on Sunday?
  • Larok
    Saturday: How about a ride from the Hampton area and out around the villages Elton/Oundle way. I know a route that is hard going at the start along the side of fields etc and is about 2.5-3hrs. Not much road.

or/and

Sunday: Thetford? Of course your welcome, Tankduck!
  • tankduck
    Cheers Larok, I'm up for either/both! Haven't been to Thetford yet so would be pretty cool to ride with guys that know it!
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Hi all,

A bit further ahead, but I'd like to try out Cannock one Sunday in September. Troopy knows the "Walk the Dog" route that would offer a greater challenge than Thetford. I'm also keen to go further afield to Wooburns Sands and the Chilterns, and I 'm happy to show people my old routes at Swinley Forest too. I'd rate them all above Thetford for techical skills and variety, the only downside is an early start on Sun morning.

I should be fit enough for a local, morning Sunday ride. what happened to the skills session?

S
  • Larok
    edited August 2008
    So that's Reg, Tank and me hopefuls for Thetford again on Sunday! Nice one. :D

Any of you guys up for Sunday at Thetford say 11 am at Brandon Car Park? Or/and a local Peterborough ride Saturday afternoon?
  • Bike Bloke
    Afraid i'll be riding up in Scotland on the Isle of Arran for 2 weeks. Will try and make a later meeting though towards the end of August. Hope it goes well, enjoy!
  • Would love to, but will be somewhere around the Sleepless course about then! Enjoy folks - don't forget the cake!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    mbrfan and me are out on sunday morning, will be keeping it local and early if anyone is interested?
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    hi all i be out early saturday local be leaveing home about 7am if anyone like to meet up ?
    play hard ride hard
  • So many different rides! arrgh!

I'm going to have to start to keep a planner of who's going where and when :p

Did I hear a shout go for Sunday (10th) at Thetford?
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • Wont be able to make Sunday wife has other plans :(

Hope you have a good ride, met office is forcasting heavy rain :shock: on Sunday just so you know.

Have a good one all 8)
    Lee

• Larok
    The heavy rain forecast is a concern for the Sunday Thetford ride, lets keep an eye on it.
  • tankduck
    accuweather thing that I have on my desktop is saying clouds and sun with showers with a high of 24, up until last night it was just showing pure sunnyness :(
  • Larok
    Weather looks a bit hit and miss for heavy rain this afternoon, as there is a lot of clay mud on the cross country trail around Elton I am still up for a ride this afternoon but only if it dosn't start chucking it down later. What are you thinking about riding this pm Tank?

Sunday weather is now forecast as light showers which is OK. Who is up for Thetford on Sunday if forecast stays reasonable? Mike you did hear the shout for Thetford!
  • tankduck
    finally managed to log in!!!! Don't know what was going on there but was veeeery frustrating!!
    Anywho, I'm still up for a ride this afternoon as long as it doesn't tip it down, I haven't been on your route before so don't know how much rain it can take before its unridable.
    Granted I'm from near newborough and eye, is there somewhere to leave the car if I drive the bike down?

Kris
  • Larok
    edited August 2008
    edit: sent you that text tank
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    Hi all,

Going to try and make it to Thetford tomorrow, just curious where the best place to park is as never been before. Is it Brandon? Any O/S/Map help appreciated.

Oh and Tankduck i had the login of death problem as well, had to delete cookies for it to accept my login details..bah!