Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    Yeah, sorry. We got to the main road and you were off and I needed to go left.

I decided to go back on the road to reduce the time, but got a puncture between Elton and Chesterton! Again the damn tyre liners, I am going to throw them away (or learn to fit them properly).

I may be able to make Sunday, but only if it's an early start, and local.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    after lunch any good for anybody?
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    I will be going out tomorrow at some point, I'm pretty easy as when, I'll do early or late/after lunch to fit with others. The weather looks really good for tomorrow. Steve had it in mind to go over to Bourne Woods, i don't know if he's found anything out about there but if so i can throw a couple more bikes in the van.

Chris
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Right, I'm going to head off to Bourne Woods at 07:30 and roam around. Back home for 11am. I've seen a few videos of jumps, etc, so might be worth it.

I have room for 1 other plus bike. i'll check in again before 10 tonight if anyone is interested.

S
  • Troopy
    Steve,
    Are you setting off from your house at 7.30 or getting to Bourne at 7.30?
    If you are setting off at 7.30 what time and where do you want to meet?
    Chris
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    Set off at 7:30. Want me to swing by Elton and we go on from there?
    S
  • Larok
    have a good one guys
  • Troopy
    Thanks for the ride out yesterday Steve :), hopefully next time we might be able to find the jumpy bits :?.
    Tomorrow night anyone?
  • Larok
    sure!
  • mbrfan
    OK for Tues. Venue and route? If no-one else has a preference, can we go anticlockwise this time?
    S
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    I won't be able to make it, won't get back until 20:00. Hope you have a good one.

I went out yesterday afternoon in the sun, went Castor-Milton golf club-Upton, Wansford,Yarwell mill-Elton-home. Nice 28km route, do-able inside 2 hours. I had to ride a bit on the A47 though, need to find a better way.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    Carlos
    I guess you rode the A47 from upton to Wansford! From Upton if you go via bridleway to Sacrewell Farm then up their drive, cross the A47 in the big parking area you can get under the A1 by the side of the river and into Wansford that way.

Steve, clockwise does it for me11
  • mbrfan
    Ah, got my clockwises messed up. What I meant was to go south from Elton towardWarmington - maybe go as far as Barnwell and reprise a bit of that orute. Or - go and check out Fineshades? Sorry you can't make it Carl.
    S

Troopy - the Lincs downhill bit is probably too far - Market Rasen area. We'd be better off looking around Melton Mowbray way.
  • mbrfan
    Unless someone can suggest anything more adventurous, can I suggest we sweep by (yawn) Elton again. I quite fancy a ride down to Barnwell and get a swift half in the pub before ventuirng back again.
    Scott, meet you at the crossing by H. Vale? 6:30ish?

S
  • Larok
    OK 630 at the crossing.
  • Troopy
    As Carl is not going to make it and if no-one else is coming along is there a route from Haddon over to Barnwell other than through Elton, that way I could meet you at Haddon. Just a thought
  • mbrfan
    There is a route if you don't mind crossing the field with the "mad" cows. Chris, is it too early to meet you by the church in Haddon (the start of the bridleway) for 6:45?
    S
  • Troopy
    That will be fine. If anyone else wants to come out they can either meet me in Elton or make their own way to Haddon.
    If the route from Haddon to Barnwell is ok with everyone I'll see you at Haddon 6.45
  • Considering Bourne Woods on Thurs daytime. Anybody else about?
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • mbrfan
    Willrideforcake,

By daytime, do you mean while the rest of us are working, or in the evening? It's academic really, as I had an expensive ride this evening with Troopy and Larok and will be waiting for spares into next week. Let me know when you're next out as it would be good to find out more about Bourne area.

£25 for a new hanger and chain on Wiggle. None in stock: just hope I can build up my other bike in time for the weekend.

Troopy and Larok were talking about a ride Thurs, perhaps they're game?

S
  • Troopy
    Steve, I guess you got home ok, hope you manage to get things back up and running asap. Try Rutland Bike they may have something in stock.

Anyway if you don't get out on thursday i will hopefully see you next tuesday. I will try and get my trek sorted this weekend so you can use that if you need to.

Larok, all being well I will see you on thursday, If willrideforcake is riding out at Bourne woods in the evening do you fancy going over?
    Anyone else out on thursday evening, Mike where the devil are you hiding yourself?
  • Was planning on daytime daytime (oh, the joys of shift work), but will see. It all depends on what swmbo is doing...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Larok
    Hi Willrideforcake, pleased to meet you. Apologies, can't do Thursday day.
    Troopy how about we try that route we we're going to do Tuesday?
    MBR fan perhaps you could put that LX crank on your Focus and also get a new cassette for it. Your focus parts could then go on your second bike. Is the rear mech ok?

Maybe we could figure out how to get your brakes biting earlier in the pull as well.
  • Larok
    quite wet today troopy, what dya think?

Also here is a vid of Coed Y Brenin. Looks very technical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT7J21Q ... re=related
  • Leebergin
    Leebergin Posts: 97
    Hi Gents

Just though i'd check in see how things are going :roll: .

Welcome to the new guys, apologies for not being round much :shock: family life was busy getting bit more spare time now.

steve if you are having problems with your bike i would like to offer my skills, Ref [/quote] Maybe we could figure out how to get your brakes biting earlier in the pull as well.[/quote]

Lee 8)
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • mbrfan
    Hi Lee,

Yup, we can take a look once I get my hanger. Bit worried now - in another thread someone was waiting weeks for one from focus despite phoning both Uk and Germany. One of the downfalls of imported bikes, I suppose - you're at the mercy of one supplier. I didn't appreciate how many different hangers there are - each manufacturer has their own for each frame. you'd think there would be an international std like for BBs and brake mounts.

Anyway, I picked up the brakes and gear bits for my "old" decathlon frame. I'm going to call it "the Apple" since I found a use for those stickers they give you when you buy a Mac. Lovely Ford "signal green" and mostly black accessories. Got my eye on some green DMR flats to go with it. Looks like I'll be building it all up on Sunday. Oh joy!

How's the new addition to the Bergin household?
    Chris/Scott, did you go out this evening - looks lovely out there.

Steve
  • Troopy
    Steve
    Yeh we had a good ride, we started last Tuesdays route but didn’t get to Barnwell, I think you will need lights or an earlier start to get our there and back. I swapped to the old wheels on the Ellsworth and the new chain didn't agree with the old cassette, it just kept slipping in the middle gears so I've ordered a new XT cassette.
    What do you think about the text I sent? I would be good to have a short trip out, prepare you for August!!!
    Chris
  • Kelby90
    Kelby90 Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I live in Bourne and ride in the woods and the area around Bourne every week. So, any questions and i will try and answer them. 'mbrfan' i have PM'd you some information on where the downhill track is located in the woods.

Ryan
  • mbrfan
    Hi all,

Thanks Ryan, got your PM. We'll try it out.
    Chris, although great in principle, I do have a family. No offence meant, but much as I like hanging out with you guys, I do like to have some time with the wife and kids too. It took a while and some serious brownie points to get the weekend in August and a weekday evening ride on top of the usual Sunday morning. I don't want to push my luck. Alright for you single guys.
    Plus, I only have so many holidays left.

I'm sure you'll have a good time. When can we go out and try Ryan's downhill course?

Steve
  • Troopy
    Steve
    No offence meant back to you but just look at what you've wrote :( . It's just one night and you'll be back by tea time the next day (so you don't have to use up holiday). Your kids and wife are still going to recognise you when you get home!! Scott is married and even when i was and when we had children, if either me or my wife wanted to go off for a day orweekend without each other (as long as it wasn't every other week or so) it was OK, it does you good to have time to yourself and you shouldn't have to fight for it, just be prepared to offer your partner the same :).