Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Have a good ride tomorrow lads.
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Leg shaving...........It's the only reason for riding road bikes I can think of!!!!!!
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    Can someone take some piccies of this jumps? Interested to see what they look like before trekking down to Bourne woods 8)
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Sorry, Jamie, read this too late. Well, we found them but the biggest is too advanced/scary for me - but there are bail out options. Overall there looks like two runs with a third being built. Pain to find, and not much room to slam on the anchors at the end.
    Based upon my limited experience, I would suggest that the jumps at Sherwood are better value for money, albeit on a slight slope, while Bourne definitely gives you the downhill factor.

If you type "bourne woods" in Youtube, someone gives you a commentary on the jumps.

Steve
  • mbrfan
    Tuesday night? From 6:30......
  • Troopy
    Sure thing, meet Elton and ride out from there or do you want to meet somewhere different?
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    Now we know where we're going, shall we set out for Fineshades again? Scott/Me are meeting outside Hampton at 6:30, so see you Elton for 7?

S
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    Thread hijack briefly.

mbrfan, can you pm me the info for Hampton Cycles, need to get a headset fitted to a frame and some new forks cut down/SFA fitted. Need it done next week before the weekend and Bristows reckon they are booked out till the 7th.

cheers.
  • bmh
    bmh Posts: 8
    Another hijack, sorry.
    Just wanted to introduce myself, got back into bikes again about two years ago, but only in last couple of months in any serious way. Have been reading this thread for a couple of weeks.
    Finally got bored of pounding the Peterborough cycle paths and headed to Bourne Woods on Sunday morning, completely managed to miss the downhill area but found what looked like an old downhill track, not well maintained, too scary for me, no chicken runs and no room for error if you didnt make the jumps. Could somebody give me directions to the track shown in the youtube video?
    Did the red and black routes at Thetford today, nice setup they've got down there.

I ride a 2006 Giant XTC SX, but considering selling it on to fund a Cannondale Rush/Rize not sure yet.

Cheers
    hope to see you out there
    Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening!
  • mbrfan
    It sounds a bit like you found the same stuff we did, but maybe not. Jamie, can you elucidate for us?

As for other venues, I can suggest Chicksands (about 40mins away) for a good red route and some spectator sport on the freeride area. Sherwood Pines is undergoing investment, but haven't been for a few months, so who knows. If you fancy a trip further afield and need company, I'm sure one or more of us can join you for the Peaks - I can recommend Swinley or the Chilterns heading South but that's a 2hr trip. And of course, we're planning to go to Coed y Brenin for the weekend 2/3 August.

If you want local, we have a few loops in the Oundle area and are currently scouting a route to Fineshades and back from Elton. Which bit of P'boro do you usually set off from?
    S
  • Larok
    why not ride out with us bmh?
  • bmh
    bmh Posts: 8
    Mbrfan, thanks for the suggestions have been to chicksands once, didnt do any of the north shore style stuff as I was using spd's, never liked them for tricky stuff.
    Hoping I can clear work early tomorrow and make it down there with flat pedals this time.

Larok, would happily join up with you guys but I'm a bit concerned about my fitness, maybe in a couple of weeks time. Thanks for the invite, will probably bring a mate of mine along as well, who's pretty much of the same opinion of Peterborough cycling.

I live nr Dogsthorpe, my friend is in Woodston. All we've done is alternate who rides to who's house and then set off from there.
    The main route we've done is from mine through Werrington out to Glinton then Etton. Cut across to Marholm then back into the sprawl through Bretton. Ok but not enough dirt under the tires.

I rode over to Thorpe Wood a couple of weeks back hoping to check out the trails through the trees only to see a No Cycling sign (nr the golf course and river). Checked out the Dogsthorpe Pit area, that was a waste of time, 400m of official track and not a lot else. Think the best bit we found was through the old brick works conservation area nr Hampton.

Cheers
    Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening!
  • Larok
    Make sure you do come along Bmh, more the merrier!

There might be a ride tommorow - Thursday. (Elton at 6:30).

Who does want to ride tommorow?
  • mbrfan
    Sorry guys, we bailed out tonight on account of the forecast - plus our new telly arived!
    Sunday is the BHF ride at Ferry Meadows, so I'll see you next Tues, perhaps.

S
  • Troopy
    OK who's out on sunday? Weather forecasts light showers but who knows!
    Chris
  • Larok
    Hi guys, check out my nite ride to Elton pics from tonight. Just got some LED flashlights to get me home from the pub on Tuesdays :P

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2193890
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2193891

What's the plan for the Sunday ride?
  • Troopy
    Scot
    I know Steve and Carl are not about tomorrow but I don't know who else is going to be out. Do you fancy doing the Barnwell route, we should have time to finish it and have a swift one at the pub! If so, anyone else up for it?
    Chris
  • Larok
    yeah, im up for that Chris, let's ride ! Is the Barnwell route where we meet at Haddon? Shall we start after lunch?
  • Troopy
    Sounds good to me, meet at Haddon say 1pm
  • Larok
    your on.
  • mbrfan
    Hope you had fun in the sun at Barnwell. Did the BHF in 2hrs 35mins, and pretty much did a road version tour of our off-road routes. Must admit, I prefer off-road. My left pedal is pretty much shot - I heard a few bearings grinding away. and I've got about half of what I started off with. So much for the Crank Bros Smarty. I'm going to give some flatties a try for a change.
  • Troopy
    Scott and me had a really good ride, I did about 25 miles and I guess Scott would have done 5-6 miles more.
    Well done on the BHF, what distance was it? Is that the new bike the peddle went on? And if so are you going to be out tomorrow night.

Who else is up for tomorrow night? Mike have you become a recluse?
    Chris
  • mbrfan
    The BHF was 40miles. I have some DMR V8's on priority dispatch from Wiggle, should be here tomorrow. Where shall we go Tues eve?
    S
  • Troopy
    Any ideas for toninght? and who's about?
  • Troopy
    Steve, Scott, Carl are any of you out tonight? anyone else?
    Chris
  • Larok
    this still on, what time?
  • Troopy
    It all depends on where we end up going. Do you want to just do the regular Wansford or something different?
  • Larok
    7 elton then.
  • Larok
    steve reckons 730 if he has had his pedals delivered.
  • Troopy
    He could use his Focus pedals if they haven't been delivered.
    Is 7.30 ok for you