Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Hmm, posted a reply but it didn't come up.....

Anyway, took at look at my OS Explorer 1:250000. The route from Chesterton to the WaterNewton/Elton road takes in a farm track at Chesterton Lodge that isn't designated a right of way. So, you're going at the discretion of the land owner. This is the route that Troopy took myself and acac last year. If you follow the bridleway to the A1 it is, indeed, a dead end.
    So, there's no marked right of way, path or bridleway, that can get you from Chesterton to Elton other than the main road. This doesn't mean that there isn't one, but don't be surprised if a landowner takes you to task for it. Likewise, the Nene Way from Yarwell to Wansford, although a long distance path, is designated a footpath so you may be asked to get off and walk.

Be mindful that the reputation of all mtb'ers goes with you. And of course, good luck.

Steve
  • Sgt Marmite
    Sgt Marmite Posts: 31
    Hi Steve,

I can't seem to get on to Posh Trails at the moment - I couldn't get on last night either?

Is there a Help Desk where I can log a fault? :lol:

Cheers
    Andy
  • mbrfan
    Howdy,

I'm hosting 3 websites and two of them are getting caught up in the domain name of the the third - which is why some of you are getting the Stretton Preschool link. The Apple support guys are helping me out.
    I'll probably get a bit more done tonight and PM you all with a new link. Bear with us, I'll have a domain name sorted out for PoshTrails soon. By the way there is a BMX park of that name in the US, but I don't think we're breaching any copyright.

S

The forecast looks poor again for Sunday - anyone fancy a trip to Chicksands?
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Steve
    I should be up for ride out on sunday and as i've not yet been to chicksands I'm willing to give it a go.
    Good luck with the website, I'm looking forward to it being up and running.

Have any of you booked your place on the campsite? although I've asked for 6-7 tents they do need to be confirmed, the sooner the better.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    Booked the pitch under Poshtrails - my mates are going for the B&B option.
    My LX chainset isn't coming - JEJames out of stock but have offered an alternative, without actually saying what it is - has anyone else had problems getting hold of them?- seem not to want to answer their phone or reply to e-mails.

I'm hoping that Chicksands is relatively well drained. Should be 1hr/1hr15 away, and gets busy, so plan an early breakfast.

Steve
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Hi Guys, will get back to you re: Chicksands on Sunday. When are you meeting up?

Can't believe they didnt send that LX and sent out something else they had in stock instead!! Shocking.
  • mbrfan
    Sunday am - not sure yet. I'd prefer 7/7:30 so we have lots of time to mess about before the professionals turn up and start embarassing us. Chris might actually wnat a good nights sleep, though. I'm easy.

James put me onto Chain Reaction which have the '06 model LX for the same price - £60. Just hope hope they have stock.
    I got the Evolve XC low rise bar this week, which I hope to have on the bike tomorrow. The other frame had it's final coat last night - so off to Bristows to get the BB and head tube faced. I spotted an adaptoron another forum thread to retro-fit disc brakes onto old frames without the proper lugs - joins on at the hanger drop-out. £30 at JEJames, so will get that next.

Steve
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    Just a heads up, Merlin Cyles are doing a LX Crankset for £45. Anything shimano they are usually the cheapest.
  • mbrfan
    Ah....placed an order with CRC this afternoon for £60.....different model no, 582 vs 575 at Merlin - just a different year?

Thanks Jamie - That'll teach me to be hasty.

Steve
  • Larok
    edited May 2008
    yeah that looks like an older one, I think the newer ones look quite a bit nicer.

BTW check out this vid guys, now that's what I'm talking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVAccWTrnIQ
  • Larok
    Hi Guys,

I am going to go with the weatherman and head out after an earlyish lunch for a ride. If anyone fancies a ride also give us a PM or post here.

Looks wet again for Sunday so I'm going to speculatively bow out of chicksands.

Have a good one.
  • mbrfan
    So, looks like just myself and Carlos heading down at 7:30 tomorrow. Will let you know how we get on.

Is there a Tues evening ride likely? Or even a Tues evening pint?
  • Larok
    yep im up for a ride tuesday, so long as the weather is reasnoable
  • Troopy
    Steve
    Sorry for not being able to make it yesterday, hope you had a good ride. I eventually got everything sorted out at the old house so should be more availible for riding out. I'm up for tomorrow evening come rain or shine but no earlier than 6.30. Who else is around?
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    OK, how about a 7pm start which gives us a couple of hours plus a pub stop. Route? I would suggest our usual Elton-Wansford-Fotheringay loop, but with a few subtle detours to avoid the worst of the mud - perhaps a stop by on the 4x4 hill for some "technical" training? The addtion of the low riser on my bike seems to have given me a bit more bottle for the downhill bits.
    Had a good time with Carl at Chicksands - there's a few fun bits to be had on the red route [if you can find it] and the kids on the 4X and jumps were inspiring. didn't see anyone on the North Shore bit [which has expanded since last year]. Worth us all going sometime - only about 40mins away. There's a van selling butties and hot drinks at the car park, which is always a bonus.

Steve
  • Troopy
    Sounds good to me.
    See you at 7

Chris
  • mbrfan
    Ah. It has just been pointed out that I'm babysitting tues evening. Sorry - wasn't on my calendar. Thurs looks good and I definitely have that free.

S
  • Troopy
    Thursday works for me. Besides if this rain keeps up all day the bridle ways and fields will just be mud. However I might just get out on my road bike for an hour or so tonight.
    See you Thursday, British summer weather permitting!!

Chris
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    might be around on thurs, if so I will tag along.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Larok
    what time and where you meeting on Thursday chaps?
  • mbrfan
    I think we'll go with the original plan for Tuesday. shall we? Can everyone get over to Elton Black Horse for 7pm? I think I'll ride over if poss. We should probably avoid the worst bits of the byway south of Sulehay - we took a farm track detour before that was OK, then short-cut the NeneWay at Fotheringhay to get back to Elton. About an hour in the dry, so allow 30mins for some mud-slinging or messing around on the 4x4 bit.

S
  • Carlos13
    See you at the Black horse at 7pm. I am riding down from the showground/Alwalton area if anyone else is going that way?
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Troopy
    See you all at 7
  • Larok
    Yeah I might ride up there as well. Carlos and MBR Fan do either of you want to meet at the traffic lights near the horse crossing at the entrance to Hampton or the Haddon underpass of the A1M at 6: 30?
  • Carlos13
    I would meet at Haddon underpass, but I don't see decent a way there from my house (near Harvester/showground)
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Larok
    edited June 2008
    It is 100m off the green wheel if you can get on that from Orton Goldhay over the footbridge between Burswood and Kinnears walk and across the parkway.

google earth coordinates of the footbridge (via edit tab then find)

52°32'15.59"N, 0°17'54.47"W

Would that be a longer journey for you tho?
  • Carlos13
    Yep, can see it. I can see how to get there from Goldhay, and of course I can get myself to Goldhay on the road, but this map of the green wheel, http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/images/p ... nwheel.jpg appears to show the wheel passing right through the showground. :?

I'll figure it out somehow and meet you there at 6:30.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Larok
    don't worry if you can find the bridge just follow the track after the bridge, (there is only one place you could turn off by mistake and that is here 52°32'5.30"N, 0°18'10.01"W go straight on along new road) - go until you get to a house on it's own with some small ponies grazing outside. (about 5/10 mins ride). You can see the underpass from there. I'll PM you my mobile number.
  • mbrfan
    Following up on our post-ride chat last night, does any of you out there know much about Bourne Woods - where to go, [whether to go?]etc.
    Just a suggestion for Sunday's ride, ealry morning if at all possible.

Carl, hadn't realised you'd set off home in the other direction, didn't mean to be rude. Hope you got home safely.
    S
  • Larok
    Guys I'd rather ride in the day than early morning. I'd be up for meeting at 9 though. I wouldn't be at all offended if you guys wanted to crack on with an early start yourselves though.