Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/12/07/ruth-perry-ofsted-inspection-inquest-death/

The lead inspector, Alan Derry, had told the chairman of school governors in one meeting during the inspection that the school had a “robust” safeguarding culture, the inquest heard.

However, he later said he had changed his judgment after raising concerns relating to record keeping, which he believed could be fixed quickly. The school was given a negative safeguarding rating, which meant it would automatically be downgraded to “inadequate”, even though it was rated “good” in every other area.

This bit reads like "The paedophile teacher was a good teacher in every other way."

Anyway, I have no idea whether whether it was a minor breach of the rules or a massive one as mentioned above.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Schools get upgraded and downgraded all the time.

People get overwhelmed by work all the time.

I don't get it.

It raises two questions:

Firstly about how Ofsted carries out inspections: of course no-one likes to be told they must do better, but if the point of Ofsted is to be an agent for improvement, then being a critical friend rather than a heartless adversary is more likely to bring about improvement.

Secondly, there is the question about whether Ofsted is being used by the government to 'academise' as many schools as possible. We know that Tory governments have wanted to emasculate LEAs, and the 'inadequate therefore you must academise' agenda seems to be at best a simplistic solution, and at worst a (barely) hidden agenda. It makes it easier if the criteria are that a lapse in safeguarding protocols automatically triggers an inadequate rating, rather than an urgent notice to improve.

I suspect that this particular case brings a focus on thee elements, hence part of the interest (though probably more driven by suicide as a result of government actions being seen by the media as an eye-catching item).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    I did not see anything about the second point in any of the coverage. Pun intended, that's news to me. It was mainly on the suicide and if ofsted are putting too much pressure on headteachers.
  • briantrumpet

I did not see anything about the second point in any of the coverage. Pun intended, that's news to me. It was mainly on the suicide and if ofsted are putting too much pressure on headteachers.

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2023/05/02/what-are-academy-schools-and-what-is-forced-academisation/

However, the law requires schools which have received an ‘Inadequate’ rating from Ofsted to become academies. Schools which have received two or more consecutive ratings below ‘Good’ may also be converted into academies.

For schools in this position, the Secretary of State for Education will send the school something called an ‘academy order’, which will start the process for the school to become an academy.
  • briantrumpet
    And yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/aug/03/council-maintained-schools-in-england-outperforming-academies-in-ofsted-ratings

Council-maintained schools in England continue to outperform academies in Ofsted ratings, according to research, prompting renewed calls for councils to be able to open their own schools.

Research conducted on behalf of the Local Government Association (LGA) found 93% of council-maintained schools were ranked “outstanding” or “good” by Ofsted as of 31 January 2023, compared with 87% of academies that have been graded since they were converted.

In 2022, council-maintained schools also outranked academies, with 92% rated “outstanding” or “good” by Ofsted in January and 85% of academies graded the same since they converted.

The study also found only 57% of academies that were already an academy in August 2018 managed to improve standards from “inadequate” or “requires improvement” to “good” or “outstanding”, compared with 73% of council-maintained schools.

The findings bring the longstanding dispute over what school leaders have called “forced academisation” into the spotlight, as the government announced ambitions for all schools to join multi-academy trusts (Mats) by 2030 as part of the main policy for school improvement in the schools bill.
  • TheBigBean
    Worth noting that Ofsted have been criticised for not cracking down on safeguarding failures enough.
  • briantrumpet

Worth noting that Ofsted have been criticised for not cracking down on safeguarding failures enough.

I'm definitely not suggesting that safeguarding isn't an important issue (it most certainly is, and isn't just a box-ticking exercise), but that's all the more reason to have a process that will firstly ensure that lapses/inadequacies are dealt with in a way that leads to the quickest and longest-lasting remedies, and secondly that there is no suspicion that it is being used in any way for forced academisation to fit a political agenda.
  • rick_chasey

And yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/aug/03/council-maintained-schools-in-england-outperforming-academies-in-ofsted-ratings

Council-maintained schools in England continue to outperform academies in Ofsted ratings, according to research, prompting renewed calls for councils to be able to open their own schools.

Research conducted on behalf of the Local Government Association (LGA) found 93% of council-maintained schools were ranked “outstanding” or “good” by Ofsted as of 31 January 2023, compared with 87% of academies that have been graded since they were converted.

In 2022, council-maintained schools also outranked academies, with 92% rated “outstanding” or “good” by Ofsted in January and 85% of academies graded the same since they converted.

The study also found only 57% of academies that were already an academy in August 2018 managed to improve standards from “inadequate” or “requires improvement” to “good” or “outstanding”, compared with 73% of council-maintained schools.

The findings bring the longstanding dispute over what school leaders have called “forced academisation” into the spotlight, as the government announced ambitions for all schools to join multi-academy trusts (Mats) by 2030 as part of the main policy for school improvement in the schools bill.
    If you make all underperforming schools academies that will obviously skew the stats.

Is this really the issue at play here? Like i said, this isn't remotely in the coverage. It's all about mental health of headteachers, as if there aren't loads of stressful jobs.
  • Worth noting that Ofsted have been criticised for not cracking down on safeguarding failures enough.

I'm definitely not suggesting that safeguarding isn't an important issue (it most certainly is, and isn't just a box-ticking exercise), but that's all the more reason to have a process that will firstly ensure that lapses/inadequacies are dealt with in a way that leads to the quickest and longest-lasting remedies, and secondly that there is no suspicion that it is being used in any way for forced academisation to fit a political agenda.
    88% of schools were rates Good/Oustanding so they are not doing much forcing
  • TheBigBean

Feels like a bit of a conspiracy theory. There are two things: (i) Ofsted are doing ratings (ii) The government have some policies. You are suggesting that Ofsted are deliberating falsifying their ratings to help the government which seems unlikely.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

Again, I’m baffled why this is national news.

even more baffling is the coverage of macgowan's death and funeral

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet

Feels like a bit of a conspiracy theory. There are two things: (i) Ofsted are doing ratings (ii) The government have some policies. You are suggesting that Ofsted are deliberating falsifying their ratings to help the government which seems unlikely.

Maybe, but the government nominates the Chief Inspector of Education, sets the criteria and the process for forced academisation, and has a target of 100% academisation by 2030. It doesn't need ratings to be falsified, as if you say that a safeguarding failing (one assumes that few of these are black-and-white 'total failures', but on a sliding scale of % compliance) is an automatic 'inadequate' rating, and that an 'inadequate' rating automatically leads to academisation, it's a reasonably easy conspiracy to believe. It would be much less easy to believe if the current automatic processes were subject to review if schools could quickly improve their safeguarding processes in response to the inspections.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    sungod said:

And yet the radio beeb continue to play the neutered version of that Fairytale song.
  • sungod said:

I dunno this is what BBC reported last week…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-67564925

RIP Sticky Vicky
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

...and has a target of 100% academisation by 2030.

It's not hard to go down the conspiracy theory road if that's the case.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    orraloon said:

sungod said:

And yet the radio beeb continue to play the neutered version of that Fairytale song.
    What’s wrong with singing about meatballs?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

orraloon said:

sungod said:

What’s wrong with singing about meatballs?
    :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    I do wonder if Stewart has a point - that the continual social media campaigning itself undermines the capacity to govern well.

• rick_chasey
    I think it’s slightly rose tinted glasses.

Churchill would be a gibbering reactionary alcoholic wreck if he tried to govern in 2023.
  • rjsterry said:

The IDF are scum. There's no other word for them.

Quite a long time ago now (late 90s) but there were quite a few Israelis in my year at architecture school. Several had already done their national service before their studies and not just the minimum term. I certainly wouldn't describe any of them as scum, and the current conduct of the IDF feels pretty alien to the people I remember.
    I repeat my post. The IDF are scum.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

rjsterry said:

The IDF are scum. There's no other word for them.

Quite a long time ago now (late 90s) but there were quite a few Israelis in my year at architecture school. Several had already done their national service before their studies and not just the minimum term. I certainly wouldn't describe any of them as scum, and the current conduct of the IDF feels pretty alien to the people I remember.
    I repeat my post. The IDF are scum.

Not sure that adds anything. Calling people scum, animals, etc. usually only leads to one thing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sungod said:

The fact he made it to 65 makes his death newsworthy given some of his "lifestyle choices".
  • rick_chasey

sungod said:

The fact he made it to 65 makes his death newsworthy given some of his "lifestyle choices".
    Made a bigger ripple than Alistair Darling's death, who I would argue is the best Chancellor the UK had in the last 100 years.
  • I don't really see why the link between the two has captured the public imagination enough to make the news.

It is quite unusual for someone to commit suicide and for this to be directly attributed by the family to the actions of a government agency. So perhaps not surprising the story has been quite newsworthy.

I take your general point though. Many jobs are very stressful. I've had many a sleepless night over the years (thankfully not many recently) worrying about how a particular issue may pan out in my small part of the financial services world, as has Mrs W&G (NHS). My eldest didn't sleep one night over summer as it was the night before the first day of swim lessons on the summer camp where she was working, and as the only qualified lifeguard on the roster, she'd signed off the H&S assessment. (Which is a heck of a responsibility at 20 and probably not what the parents thought they were paying for.) Thankfully all went well.

Just on the law of averages, given the prevalence of mental health issues and the sheer number of working folk in the country, every now and then someone will be tipped over their personal edge by work related developments into a tragic outcome.

• sungod said:

Made a bigger ripple than Alistair Darling's death, who I would argue is the best Chancellor the UK had in the last 100 years.
    True, but politicians come and go. Darling was good but dull. Shane McGowan was a one-off, I'd argue and I'm not even a fan. Compare Darling's demise in terms of press coverage to that of Maggie T when she died.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2023
    I'm too young to get the appeal of McGowan, won't lie. Born in 88 which I think was their zenith.
  • I'm too young to get the appeal of McGowan, won't lie. Born in 88 which I think was their zenith.

FToNY was beaten to the Christmas #1 in 1987 by the Pet Shop Boys covering an Elvis song. As MacGowan observed at the time:

"We were beaten by two queens and a drum machine".

No comment on the appropriateness of that comment now, or even then, but there's just no way Alistair Darling would ever make such a newsworthy quote.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2023
    I'm reminded of the plot in The Wire when gangster boss Stringer Bell gets involved with the local corrupt Senator Clay Davis in some dodgy real estate.

Stringer Bell thinks he's onto a winner here, getting legit, but ends up getting screwed over royally by the Senator, as it's the corrupt game the Senator majors in.

I feel it's the same story; Rwandan politicians are not stupid, (much more brutal process to get into power), and are playing Britain at their own game here.

Rwandan government now basically can hold a dagger at the Conservative party; having defending the deal to the hilt and making it electorally important, Tories have given Rwanda as much leverage as it needs.

"oh, you're worried about how it looks in the election if we cancel the deal? I wonder what would persuade us not to?"
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2023

I'm too young to get the appeal of McGowan, won't lie. Born in 88 which I think was their zenith.

FToNY was beaten to the Christmas #1 in 1987 by the Pet Shop Boys covering an Elvis song. As MacGowan observed at the time:

"We were beaten by two queens and a drum machine".

No comment on the appropriateness of that comment now, or even then, but there's just no way Alistair Darling would ever make such a newsworthy quote.
    I am just about old enough to remember being number one being a big deal, but when was the last time we heard about the xmas number one? Gotta be at least 10 years ago now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Q0kaAhdN4
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    The fact that (even) I know that LadBaby aren't releasing a Christmas song this year, having been No1 at Christmas for the last few years suggests you might not be right Rick!