Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

👮‍♂️🚓

🎵📻🎸

Have I got that right, @TheBigBean ?

I don't under emojis, but I suspect you're complaining about inappropriately located musical chat.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    "I don't recall..."

This can of worms smells fishy, to say the least. They usually say that prosecutors don't ask questions to which they don't already know the answer, but maybe Sunak is either telling the truth, or he knows for sure he really has deleted those WhatsApp messages.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    I'm fairly ambivilent on this. One the one hand I'm here saying leaders need a way to communicate honestly and without fear of it coming public.

On the other, I think it's very dodgy both he and Johnson have 'lost' WA messages.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    They could have saved the unsavoury stuff for face to face. It's not like the pandemic seemed to prevent them getting together!

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Well, I didnt think this was coming back...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jezyboy

Well, not sure this is an improvement.

• briantrumpet
    edited December 2023

Nor me... though was just starting to get used to the extra two hours of time per day it had freed up.

Now just seeing if their photo hosting is any better... my new Italian bike bell...

EDIT - no, is the answer... rather than lots of compression and a tiny image, I just get "Request failed with status code 403".

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited December 2023

Looks like they've seen some sense.

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1737887468899201212?t=3F1wYXljjRxKUyf4-SAiGw&s=19

"Minimum income threshold needed to bring foreign spouses to UK will only rise to £29,000 initially. No timeline for it to be raised to £38,700"

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

Ha, another bug - Twitter links don't display as Tweets, and hyperlinks don't work as such.

• briantrumpet

Haha - re the climbdown in the income level, Sunak's getting a roasting from the loons. Quelle surprise.

• TheBigBean

£29k is still a 50% increase on the current requirement which wasn't particularly fair or well implemented.

• TheBigBean

In the news over the last 10 days...

Whilst facing accusations of indiscriminate killing, Israel managed to shoot three bare chested people waving a white flag, and then used the defence "Who would have thought they were hostages?" as if it justified it. In fairness, that they didn't cover this up is pretty remarkable, so maybe they should be applauded for that.

• Jezyboy

How are they so bad at making policy. 29k will presumably end up pleasing even fewer people.

• briantrumpet

Yep, re Gaza, still pretty sure the IDF want to make it uninhabitable for Palestinians. At least there's a bit of movement from the UK in questioning what the real motives are and what constitutes a proportionate response (i.e., they don't think it is).

• I wonder if Michelle Mone took media advice about doing an interview from those who advised Prince Andrew?

• briantrumpet
    edited December 2023

I was amused by the revelation that her 'legal team' seemed to be little more than her and her hubby in their front room with Google as learned counsel. One suspects that her admission to lying to the press will come back to haunt her in more ways than one, though I am enjoying her turning on the Tories who threw money at her while she lied to the press.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

She's a dick but all credit to her for this sick burn*

https://twitter.com/MichelleMone/status/1737034753839177995?t=kQLzlmvZwWnqEy9DKiBg0A&s=19

*As I believe the youth of the day call it

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

^^^^ Nice one! ^^^^

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

Ah, things start to make sense. Robbie Gibb, on the BBC Board, brother of Tory MP Nick Gibb, is the sole owner of the Jewish Chronicle, which is, shall we say, rather one-sided on the Gaza question.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1737991564142514288

It's even got Ben Wallace's back up:

Recently the JC published an article attacking my position on the IDF’s strategy in Gaza and what impact it might have on the chances of peace in the long [term]. Given the article by Richard Kemp was inaccurate and a direct challenge I asked the editor for the right of reply. I am not frightened of debate and a respected media outlet would not either i thought. Sadly Jake, the editor has declined but instead got his journalists to double down by ringing round to find some to pile in on a hatchet job. No one should take a media outlet seriously that doesn’t allow a right of reply which is probably why the JC has so many IPSO rulings against it. Sad really. I wont be taking the hatchet job tomorrow seriously and nor should anyone else. There are plenty of serving and recently serving military who have been in touch who do agree with my observations. The offer is still there to the JC..but i wont hold my breath.

• briantrumpet

In other news, Telegraph reporting on the likelihood of certain food shortages next year. I suspect they are slightly conflicted, as they traditionally stick up for British farming, but there are oblique reference to the B word in amongst the other international challenges to the free flow of goods.

As I've noted in the past, allowing UK agriculture to wither and relying on the free flow of food internationally is a high-risk strategy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/food-shortages-empty-supermarket-shelves/

A 2021 food security report found that 46pc of food consumed in the UK in 2020 was imported. Eggs, dairy, meat and other “high-risk” items will all be subject to more health checks at the border from January 31, which could slow the supply of food into the UK, the Institute of Export and International Trade warned. Marco Forgione, of the Institute of Export & International Trade, said: “Whilst businesses in the UK are already getting used to checks on products going into the EU, the checks BTOM will introduce for EU goods coming the other way will be new.”

He said: “These new procedures will take some bedding in time, so there’s a risk we’ll see disruption to supplies of our favourite drinks and other food – which could lead to gaps in supermarket shelves.”

• Just testing

• TheBigBean

I quoted surrey-commuter and got that... Then I can't edit it

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

That was me quoting Big Bean.

I mean, the forum is free after all.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

We are getting value for money! 🤣🤣🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean

It would be better if it was a quote without half a word missing.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

And that was me quoting myself.

I am struggling to understand how this platform can be so much worse than it was in 2010.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

I see the quotes are working well.

The above was supposed to have FA quote of struggling to understand how the platform could so much worse.