Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

I am just about old enough to remember being number one being a big deal, but when was the last time we heard about the xmas number one? Gotta be at least 10 years ago now.

That's cos social media has forced Ladbaby upon us.
    I blame the young. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'm too young to get the appeal of McGowan, won't lie. Born in 88 which I think was their zenith.

FToNY was beaten to the Christmas #1 in 1987 by the Pet Shop Boys covering an Elvis song. As MacGowan observed at the time:

"We were beaten by two queens and a drum machine".

No comment on the appropriateness of that comment now, or even then, but there's just no way Alistair Darling would ever make such a newsworthy quote.
    I am just about old enough to remember being number one being a big deal, but when was the last time we heard about the xmas number one? Gotta be at least 10 years ago now.
    That may or may not be true, but in 1987 it was a big deal and MacGowan's comment generated a lot of comment as a result, in a way that no Darling pronouncement could ever do, except if he'd had to report that RBS had gone bust, taking loads of folks' savings with it.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited December 2023

The fact that (even) I know that LadBaby aren't releasing a Christmas song this year, having been No1 at Christmas for the last few years suggests you might not be right Rick!

Never heard of ladbaby. I suspect it's the oldies getting revved up about something that mattered to them when you had to buy music in shops.

My dad always seems to know. Any young people in the office never do. Go figure.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

The fact that (even) I know that LadBaby aren't releasing a Christmas song this year, having been No1 at Christmas for the last few years suggests you might not be right Rick!

Never heard of ladbaby. I suspect it's the oldies getting revved up about something that mattered to them when you had to buy music in shops.

My dad always seems to know. Any young people in the office never do. Go figure.
    I agree with DB this has been front page news every year
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • The fact that (even) I know that LadBaby aren't releasing a Christmas song this year, having been No1 at Christmas for the last few years suggests you might not be right Rick!

Never heard of ladbaby.
    Even I've heard of them / him / it. To be less in touch with popular culture than me is quite an achievement. I'm still waiting for Mariah Carey and Wham to get their Christmas #1 accolades.

• rick_chasey
    This is a hill I will die on. Being number one is not a thing anymore. The Xmas number one is a relic of the past that has yet to die a death but is well on the way to irrelevance.
  • The fact that (even) I know that LadBaby aren't releasing a Christmas song this year, having been No1 at Christmas for the last few years suggests you might not be right Rick!

Never heard of ladbaby.
    Even I've heard of them / him / it. To be less in touch with popular culture than me is quite an achievement. I'm still waiting for Mariah Carey and Wham to get their Christmas #1 accolades.

I am with Rick on this one - never heard of them.

Are Slade releasing anything this year?
  • This is a hill I will die on. Being number one is not a thing anymore. The Xmas number one is a relic of the past that has yet to die a death but is well on the way to irrelevance.

Agreed. But you don't have to choose to die about this. I only mentioned the Christmas #1 in the context of a specific event 36 years ago.

Never heard of ladbaby.

Holy cow. Turns out I'm some sort of popular culture expert. Who'd have thunk it?

Don't know about Slade. They're already on my Christmas playlist, so probably don't need a new release.
  • rick_chasey

Never heard of ladbaby.

Holy cow. Turns out I'm some sort of popular culture expert. Who'd have thunk it?

Don't know about Slade. They're already on my Christmas playlist, so probably don't need a new release.
    I can guarantee you xmas number one is not popular culture.
  • Their output is execrable, for sure, but they have deserved the number 1 spot more than Wham or Mariah Carey because people would actually buy their songs. This fact is yet more confirmation we live in a hopelessly divided country.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    Meh military wives choir I vaguely remember, and RATM before that.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Never heard of ladbaby.

I can guarantee you xmas number one is not popular culture amongst my group of mates who aren't at all representative of the wider population.
    FTFY! B)
    Given it is a 'thing' on both Radio 1 and Heart, I again suggest you might not be right.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

I'm too young to get the appeal of McGowan, won't lie. Born in 88 which I think was their zenith.

FToNY was beaten to the Christmas #1 in 1987 by the Pet Shop Boys covering an Elvis song. As MacGowan observed at the time:

No comment on the appropriateness of that comment now, or even then, but there's just no way Alistair Darling would ever make such a newsworthy quote.
    Spare a thought then for Midge Ure and Ultravox, whose haunting classic 'Vienna' was kept off the number one spot by Joe Dolce's 'Shaddap you face'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Never heard of ladbaby.

I can guarantee you xmas number one is not popular culture amongst my group of mates who aren't at all representative of the wider population.
    FTFY! B)
    Given it is a 'thing' on both Radio 1 and Heart, I again suggest you might not be right.
    Again. Radio 1 hours listened is about half of what it was 10 years ago, and radio 1 barely registers more than 5% of all listening.

Saying that in the old-fashioned format which lived and died on number ones is indeed, still banging on about number ones is not the representation of culture you think it is.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

This is a hill I will die on. Being number one is not a thing anymore. The Xmas number one is a relic of the past that has yet to die a death but is well on the way to irrelevance.

It doesn't really work any more because no one buys music and counting the number of streams includes all the repeat listening that goes on.

A billion views on youtube is still something though, so I guess that provides status.
  • rick_chasey
    Spotify has more listening hours in the UK than all of radio *combined*.
  • Stevo_666 said:

I'm too young to get the appeal of McGowan, won't lie. Born in 88 which I think was their zenith.

Spare a thought then for Midge Ure and Ultravox, whose haunting classic 'Vienna' was kept off the number one spot by Joe Dolce's 'Shaddap you face'.
    Indeed. Also for Take That, kept off the Christmas #1 spot by Mr Blobby. And for Oasis, whose Wonderwall was kept off the #1 spot (not at Christmas) by Robson and Jerome.

At least Mariah and Wham! were taken down by worthy rivals (East 17 and Bandaid).
  • Being in the Xmas charts now is the equivalent of being on "Now that's what I call Xmas" (or similar) CD that someone bought 5 years earlier and puts on in the background each year. Nobody's putting their hand in their pocket.

Who was it that got a Christmas hit by paying Spotify to be on the recommended Xmas playlist a couple of years back?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Indeed. Also for Take That, kept off the Christmas #1 spot by Mr Blobby. And for Oasis, whose Wonderwall was kept off the #1 spot (not at Christmas) by Robson and Jerome.

At least Mariah and Wham! were taken down by worthy rivals (East 17 and Bandaid).
    If it had been the other way round and Mr. Bobby had been kept off the number 1 spot by Take That, I would have had some sympathy as well :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

sungod said:

Again, I’m baffled why this is national news.

even more baffling is the coverage of macgowan's death and funeral

The fact he made it to 65 makes his death newsworthy given some of his "lifestyle choices".
    Made a bigger ripple than Alistair Darling's death, who I would argue is the best Chancellor the UK had in the last 100 years.
    To prove the point I hadn't even heard about Darling.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Never heard of ladbaby.

FTFY! B)
    Again. Radio 1 hours listened is about half of what it was 10 years ago, and radio 1 barely registers more than 5% of all listening.

Saying that in the old-fashioned format which lived and died on number ones is indeed, still banging on about number ones is not the representation of culture you think it is.
    No one is suggesting hitting No1 is anything like is was 15+ years ago. However you are implying it means absolutely nothing and is not relevant to the music / radio industry. That is patently wrong.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    Ladbaby aren't really relevant to the music industry though are they?

It's not like they're gonna be headlining the Pyramid stage anytime soon. Maybe a few nightclub appearances like David Brent.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If it had been the other way round and Mr. Bobby had been kept off the number 1 spot by Take That, I would have had some sympathy as well :smile:
    It's such an insult to FrEezEPeaCh that the wokerati kept The K**ts off Christmas #1 back in 2020 with 'Boris Johnson is a F**king C**t', innit.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Jezyboy said:

Ladbaby aren't really relevant to the music industry though are they?

It's not like they're gonna be headlining the Pyramid stage anytime soon. Maybe a few nightclub appearances like David Brent.

You never know with some of the shite that has headlined on the Pyramid stage in recent years.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Appears that Spotify are quite happy to jump on the bandwagon.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWSX9YkiQuFCv
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's such an insult to FrEezEPeaCh that the wokerati kept The K**ts off Christmas #1 back in 2020 with 'Boris Johnson is a F**king C**t', innit.
    You must be gutted that this one never made it to number 1:
    https://youtu.be/sHoyoKgRq5U?si=TLCsUNrxTDuG36pA
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    LadBaby are social media grifters who have done one thing a year to raise charity money that puts them beyond critisism, aren't they?

Credibility of Number One singles has been shot for years now, and the album charts are going the same way, aggressive marketing see's band get Number One albums and then disappear without trace.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    👮‍♂️🚓

🎵📻🎸

Have I got that right, @TheBigBean ?
  • Has anyone else experienced losing WhatsApp messages when moving phone but not changing number?

I've still got a velogames cycling group with messages going back to Dauphine 2017.