2024 Election thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Seems like the level of tax is doing the rounds this morning.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66945729

What I don't understand is if "Next year, the government will collect upwards of £100bn more in tax compared to pre-2019 levels" and it's at a historic high, why is everything so censored ? NHS and (state) schools are underfunded, infrastructure projects scrapped, road quality gone to censored . Is it all going on pensioners? I understand inflation had to inflate tax take to keep up but £100bn seems like a lot.

the second biggest expenditure is on servicing debt. It seems that borrowing as much as possible when rates were rock bottom was not a good idea

Plus aging population means more goes on healthcare and pensions
    Sorry, more on debt than healthcare and pensions?!
    He doesn't appear to have said that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Look at that number for young people in the latest YouGov poll:

If ever an article didn't match the headline! The actual article gives some surprinsingly useful and accurate information and really isn't a guide to successfully object (more a guide on how planning works and the process for making a valid objection). Modern journalism is shit
  • Pross said:

What I don't understand is if "Next year, the government will collect upwards of £100bn more in tax compared to pre-2019 levels" and it's at a historic high, why is everything so censored ? NHS and (state) schools are underfunded, infrastructure projects scrapped, road quality gone to censored . Is it all going on pensioners? I understand inflation had to inflate tax take to keep up but £100bn seems like a lot.

the second biggest expenditure is on servicing debt. It seems that borrowing as much as possible when rates were rock bottom was not a good idea

yep, it has edged past pensions but still behind healthcare,

@rick_chasey do you acknowledge that maxing out borrowing every year in the expectation that interest rates would stay low forever was not such a good idea.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Pross said:

@rick_chasey do you acknowledge that maxing out borrowing every year in the expectation that interest rates would stay low forever was not such a good idea.
    Yeah if you don’t grow you’re gonna be in the sh!t
  • Is t extra borrowing fine as long as it used to grow GDP at a faster/equal rate? Rather than given to mates of Tory MPs for dodgy COVID supplies and the oil lobby?
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah the political reality is unless you grow the economy you’re gonna end up with more debt.

So that’s why austerity is so bad etc
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Pross said:

Yeah if you don’t grow you’re gonna be in the sh!t
    Debt is at record levels, so you would you not expect strong growth as a result?

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    edited September 2023

Yeah the political reality is unless you grow the economy you’re gonna end up with more debt.

But according to your logic, more debt is needed to drive economic growth, isn't it?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

But according to your logic, more debt is needed to drive economic growth, isn't it?
    Well that was the case 10 years ago now but the situation has changed.

The drive to cut debt was austerity.

We can now all agree that that is a failure, as the premise of austerity was to reduce the debt burden and now look where we are.

I maintain the counter factual that if Britain and Europe had embarked on genuine counter cyclical spending like the US did, the economies would all be substantially bigger.

However, a decade and a half of no growth and the Brexit/Truss episode has eroded the trust of the British government by investors which makes counter cyclical spending much harder, as investors won’t give you the same leeway to embark on it.

So 15 years on there are fewer levers to pull….as a result of poor mismanagement for a decade and a half.
  • The manifesto is being written by your crazy uncle on Facebook

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Its a war on the war on motorists.
  • The manifesto is being written by your crazy uncle on Facebook

It's so depressing. In an incredibly lopsided 'war' of cars Vs everything else he has gone full throttle on ensuring the car is the only option with no other choice!

Also, what happened to devolution of power? Regions can do whatever they like but can't make it safe or convenient for people to not drive.

• Cracking down on inconsiderate driving you say? More speed cameras, more enforcement officers etc?
  • rick_chasey
    Does suck for us cyclists. All this rhetoric just gives the bellends more reason to give us grief.

And give us grief they f@cking well do.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited September 2023

Stevo_666 said:

We can now all agree that that is a failure, as the premise of austerity was to reduce the debt burden and now look where we are.

I maintain the counter factual that if Britain and Europe had embarked on genuine counter cyclical spending like the US did, the economies would all be substantially bigger.

However, a decade and a half of no growth and the Brexit/Truss episode has eroded the trust of the British government by investors which makes counter cyclical spending much harder, as investors won’t give you the same leeway to embark on it.

So 15 years on there are fewer levers to pull….as a result of poor mismanagement for a decade and a half.
    Isn't that because of the half a trillion quid spent on COVID and Putin/inflation? I will add yet again the Lib Dems (Clegg) signed up for austerity too.
  • What does unfair enforcement mean?
  • What does unfair enforcement mean?

You know, the dangerous things everyone does but only get caught occasionally.

Maybe make it more fair by enforcing them more?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    edited September 2023
    Long term travel plans = Cars.
    Fück carbon neutral, or the infrastructure, we want seats.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Or more fair by never enforcing them instead of only occasionally enforcing them?
  • Or more fair by never enforcing them instead of only occasionally enforcing them?

Well that does seem to be the implication.

Not sure which ones that applies to. People seem annoyed about getting done for speeding at night, or driving in a bus lane when there's no bus in it.

• rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Isn't that because of the half a trillion quid spent on COVID and Putin/inflation? I will add yet again the Lib Dems (Clegg) signed up for austerity too.
    Need I remind you we’d all be roughly 20% richer had we had 2% growth over 10 years rather than nothing
  • pblakeney
    22.9% compounded.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666 said:

Need I remind you we’d all be roughly 20% richer had we had 2% growth over 10 years rather than nothing
    Hey, don't have a go at me X Clegg and the Lib Dems.
  • One thing though after the financial crisis, did the Government have to go down the austerity route to protect the countries credit rating, IR payments on the hideous debt?
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2023

One thing though after the financial crisis, did the Government have to go down the austerity route to protect the countries credit rating, IR payments on the hideous debt?

No, they went down the road of austerity and increasing the debt.
    Without any proportional growth.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

One thing though after the financial crisis, did the Government have to go down the austerity route to protect the countries credit rating, IR payments on the hideous debt?

No, they went down the road of austerity and increasing the debt.
    Without any proportional growth.
    I'm not saying the Lib Dems made the right choice just seeing it without the luxury of hindsight as to why Nick Clegg signed up to austerity.
  • I seem to remember lots of commentary at the time saying that's exactly when governments need to spend. Other countries certainly seemed to handle it better than the UK given the 13 years of zero growth