La Vuelta 2023: Stage 18:- Pola de Allande to La Cruz de Linares, 179km ***Spoilers***

12346»

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770
    JV must be pretty pleased, the furore and intrigue surrounding who they are choosing to let win has completely overshadowed the fact that they are choosing who out of the top three they want to win.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

JV must be pretty pleased, the furore and intrigue surrounding who they are choosing to let win has completely overshadowed the fact that they are choosing who out of the top three they want to win.

People have forgotten about Hessman's positive drug test too
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Mainly because nobody knows who the f*** Hessman is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Mainly because nobody knows who the f*** Hessman is.

Nobody knew who Josh Edmondson was either, but he was hauled on to the Ten O'Clock news for using legal drugs.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    Jeez that’s a blast from the past. He’s 31 now, only feels like a few years ago he was youngster joining Sky.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    What's Tiernan Locke up to these days?
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2023
    I think there's a correlation between intra-team rivalries (real or invented) and how dull a GT is.

Some of the dullest GTs of recent times

2023 Vuelta
    2017 Tour (#freelanda)
    2012 Tour Wiggins/Froome
    2004 Giro Cunego/Simoni

I imagine the 1986 Tour with three LVC riders in the top four was fairly dull.
    The 2009 Tour was OK. But Wiggins was unexpectedly up there
    The 1987 Giro literally had second placed Millar protecting winner Roche.

My first introduction to cycling was the 1986 Tour. My first stage I saw was the one where Hinault attacked in yellow and LeMond won the stage. I don't think that stage has ever been bettered. And in time I have respected and understood Hinault completely, even if he is a bit of a d1ck.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951
    RichN95. said:

My first introduction to cycling was the 1986 Tour. My first stage I saw was the one where Hinault attacked in yellow and LeMond won the stage. I don't think that stage has ever been bettered. And in time I have respected and understood Hinault completely, even if he is a bit of a d1ck.

Those bold parts are a strange contradiction.
    I certainly remember 1986 being very good. But we only got 30 or 60 minutes of highlights.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

I certainly remember 1986 being very good. But we only got 30 or 60 minutes of highlights.

Yes and no. Just like this race it's an internal feud - more real in 1986. Zimmerman wasn't challenging them. But that was a feud that really took off. Also I was a fourteen year old whose endurance sports knowledge was marathon running, and this was so much more. A group can lead by five minutes and not win? Amazing.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2023
    As narratives go Pogacar's is interesting. When he first won the Tour, he was the one who would bore us by dominating for a decade. Now he's "Obi-Pog You're my only hope"
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

Yes and no. Just like this race it's an internal feud - more real in 1986. Zimmerman wasn't challenging them. But that was a feud that really took off. Also I was a fourteen year old whose endurance sports knowledge was marathon running, and this was so much more. A group can lead by five minutes and not win? Amazing.
    In 86 there was an actual battle between Hinault and Lemond though, with Hinault in particular going on daring raids from way out. Here that's not really the case.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    80 s tours were highlight reels . Created a bit of a false memory thing .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    phreak said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

In 86 there was an actual battle between Hinault and Lemond though, with Hinault in particular going on daring raids from way out. Here that's not really the case.
    Does kuss getting in the break with team mates effectively blocking behind count?

The 80s were good but I am not overly sold on the nostalgia.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,510

I read Roche and Lemond's books in the early 90s which provided more details. Obviously viewed through their eyes.

Also the footage of Roche almost catching Delgado means I find it hard to believe it wasn't entertaining at the time.
  • Ive not found this Vuelta that bad.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

phreak said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

Does kuss getting in the break with team mates effectively blocking behind count?

The 80s were good but I am not overly sold on the nostalgia.
    Kuss would be more akin to Voeckler going in his break and getting the jersey before his team then decided to try and help him keep it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Almost like a sport that was invented to sell newspapers doesn't always lend itself to wall to wall coverage?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I find it a lot like cricket in that regard, in that watching the highlights is usually a good way to follow but when it's really good and you're watching live, absolutely nothing can beat it
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    mrb123 said:

What's Tiernan Locke up to these days?

Still part of the saint Piran set up?