La Vuelta 2023: Stage 18:- Pola de Allande to La Cruz de Linares, 179km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
edited September 2023 in Pro race
Stage 18:- Pola de Allande to La Cruz de Linares, 179km

September 14
Start Time 11-45BST.

The Vuelta remains in Asturias for another pivotal day in the mountains and a grand finale up the new ascent of La Cruz de Linares, which is tackled twice in succession, after three intermediate climbs. There are also plenty of intermediate hills that will add to the fatigue. So, this is a real test of endurance, with five classified climbs spread across the day’s 179km. The unknown category one Cruz de Linares will be the last mountain top finish of the race.

In the return, Easterly run-up, the riders tackle the Alto de las Estacas, Puerto de San Lorenzo and Alto de Tenebredo. The latter ramp is crested with 58 kilometres remaining. The route then continues with a loop southwest of Oviedo. The riders enter a finishing circuit with 33 kilometres remaining to get a first taste of the Puerto de la Cruz de Linares.

The Climbs.

Puerto de San Lorenzo (9.9 kilometres at 8.6%)

Final Kms.

Gradients are hovering around 10% for 4 kilometres before it levels out to 7% in the second half. The concrete slabs near Castañeo del Monte go up at 20%.

What to Expect.

Probably the last throw of the dice for those wishing to improve the GC placings behind a race being tempo'd by Jumbo. With few breakaway opportunities left, expect a free for all at the start, as there's a decent chance of success at the end of the day. ( depending on whether Jumbo desire another win or not)

Pola de Allande

Unprecedented Vuelta stage departure
1,620 inhabitants

Located in the Nilson River valley, Pola de Allande is a town and a parish in Allande, a municipality within the province and autonomous community of Asturias, in northern Spain. It is surrounded by the Cantabrian mountains. It is the capital of the parish. The town was founded between 1262 and 1268.

Queso Nata de Cantabria

Queso Nata de Cantabria is a hard cheese produced in the region of Cantabria and in the basins of the rivers Urdón and Cervera. It is made from unpasteurized milk of Friesian cows reared in the area. The cheese is aged for at least 7 days, and usually between 14 days and two months.

La Cruz de Linares

The Principality of Asturias always has many new things to offer. Among others, an unprecedented mountain pass that will form part of La Vuelta 23. Just a few kilometres from Colláu Fancuaya, the summit discovered by La Vuelta in 2022, the riders will face a double climb of Cruz de Linares. Its summit serves as a natural lookout over the municipality of Proaza and the Valles del Oso, through which the renowned Vía Verde de la Senda del Oso (or Bear Trail) passes.

Unprecedented Vuelta finish
722 inhabitants

Queso de Valdeón

One of the great blues of Europe, this Spanish cheese is produced in the Picos de Europa Mountains, namely the valley of Valdeón. The smooth and creamy Valdeón blue cheese is made from either pure cow's milk or a combination of cow's, sheep's, and goat's milk.
It is matured for about 45-60 days and sold wrapped in sycamore maple or chestnut leaves. Although it has all the character of a blue and a very intense, piquant flavor, Valdeón's bite is not as strong as the one in most other blue cheeses.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    I do like a bit of cheese
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    We had a massive rice dish yesterday that seemed to be mostly cheese. My wife said she's had enough of fried pork products (as if), so this was obviously the more healthy option :smiley:

Nice to see what they are actually called, as I've definitely had both the above...

Got to work today unfortunately so won't be able to go and see the race.
  • I've heard that Kuss and Remco are going to get in a break today and nobody's going to chase it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133

I've heard that Kuss and Remco are going to get in a break today and nobody's going to chase it.

Along with Thomas, one of the strongest riders in the race apparently.
  • Pross
    Full stage coverage on GCN today I believe. Feels quite random.
  • Pross said:

Full stage coverage on GCN today I believe. Feels quite random.

Has the look of a stage where the break isn't going to definitively form for about 50km so good news.
  • Pross
    Unfortunately the GCN coverage is on the cringe bus pretending to be Jumbo Visma so I've hit mute.
  • Pross
    Decent break of around 15 has probably gone but they haven't given up behind.
  • The break is made. Evenepoel, Kron, Caruso, Denz +10
  • There's no team who'd want to put in any effort to bring this back, is there?
  • Pross said:

Unfortunately the GCN coverage is on the cringe bus pretending to be Jumbo Visma so I've hit mute.

they're STILL doing that? Jeepers
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,022
    edited September 2023
    I like the cringe bus!

I do think they need to get into character more though - Kelly as DS and when Lloyd starts trying to have his tactical two penn'orth Kelly should shut him down with "stick to taking the bottles and leave the fookin' tactics to us" - realism.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

There's no team who'd want to put in any effort to bring this back, is there?

Vingergaard wants the bonus seconds so...
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Honestly, if Kuss doesn't win this race it's either because he's completely cracked by UAE/Movistar (unlikely) or because Roglic has attacked him

Today's pre-stage interview with Jonas (not a full transcript, and it's in Danish)

Key points:
    • Was in doubt abut what he should do yesterday, nobody was giving instructions
    • Wants Kuss to win
    • Has said they shouldn't fight for it, consistently, internally
    • Thinks it would be greedy (his word) to try and win, given what Kuss has done for him
    - Jeg skal gøre det, jeg synes er rigtigt for mig og holdet, og det kommer jeg til at gøre i dag.
    Trans: I shall do what is right for me and the team, and that's what I'll do today

- Det vil være grådigt af mig at gå efter sejren. Jeg kan ikke se, hvorfor jeg skal gå efter sejren, når han har gjort så meget for mig.
    Trans: It would be greedy for me to go after the win. I can't see why I should do that when he's done so much for me

He quite diplomatically didn't have anything to say about Roglic or mention him

https://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2023-09-14-vingegaard-var-i-tvivl-om-beslutning-nu-melder-han-ud-om-taktikken
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • That does kinda track with Ving's strange following of Rog yesterday, without attacking over the top, and probably Rog leaving the team so not caring about Kuss' relationship?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,751
    edited September 2023
    As stated on the other thread, he only started this policy on stage 17.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    edited September 2023
    If Judas Jonas truly wants Sepp to win, he wouldn't have attacked him 3 times this race......
  • Stage 16 was a classic long range attack by the third placed rider on the team. It should have given the stage win, plus an armchair ride for his teammates as UAE/Movistar forced to chase. It's a completely elementary team tactic, and not some sort of traitorous attack on his teammate. He wasn't to know that UAE would send a water boy after him instead of chasing.

Stage 13 was essentially the same idea as stage 16 - third placed and least sprinty rider makes the long range attack. That put Jumbo with the full GC podium. Again, team tactics - and he asked permission from Kuss - and not some sort of treachery.

Yesterday (Angliru) was purely defending his own GC position from Roglic. He'll work for Kuss, but he's not gifting the red to Roglic. At the same time, he's made sure that Roglic hasn't put himself in a position to take the red with a bonus point sprint or something like that

There are some real cycling basics that are going over people's heads for some reason in favour of the drama, have you all been ruined by Netflix or something?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

There's no team who'd want to put in any effort to bring this back, is there?

No
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Disappointing year for Hugh carthy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Stage 16 was a classic long range attack by the third placed rider on the team. It should have given the stage win, plus an armchair ride for his teammates as UAE/Movistar forced to chase. It's a completely elementary team tactic, and not some sort of traitorous attack on his teammate. He wasn't to know that UAE would send a water boy after him instead of chasing.

Stage 13 was essentially the same idea as stage 16 - third placed and least sprinty rider makes the long range attack. That put Jumbo with the full GC podium. Again, team tactics - and he asked permission from Kuss - and not some sort of treachery.

Yesterday (Angliru) was purely defending his own GC position from Roglic. He'll work for Kuss, but he's not gifting the red to Roglic. At the same time, he's made sure that Roglic hasn't put himself in a position to take the red with a bonus point sprint or something like that

There are some real cycling basics that are going over people's heads for some reason in favour of the drama, have you all been ruined by Netflix or something?

Yeah but Judas vinnergarrd sounds dope
  • Stage 16 ending up being an attack on his teammate's lead was just an unfortunate side effect.

What evidence has there been of him working for Kuss? My memory is terrible, so I've probably just forgotten it.
  • Pross
    Sounds like the teams PR people had a word last night about how to manage things with the media.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    edited September 2023
    Disagree NTD
    There's opening a gap, and there's pushing hard to the line to maximise your advantage when the podium is already secure.
    Jonas and Roglic have done the latter, and never ridden in support of Kuss.
  • kingstongraham
    edited September 2023
    Anyway, break have about 10 minutes, and the scenery is green and pretty. Remco a-go-go again today? Bet he wishes he'd held back a bit yesterday.
  • kingstongraham
    edited September 2023
    I think Caley Fretz probably hits the nail on the head. Roglic wants to be leader at TDF 2024, and Vingegaard can't let anything happen that would make it look like that's a logical decision.

https://escapecollective.com/behind-the-facade-fissures-form-at-jumbo/
  • Evenepoel wins the kom jersey (if he finishes the vuelta)
  • I think Caley Fretz probably hits the nail on the head. Roglic wants to be leader at TDF 2024, and Vingegaard can't let anything happen that would make it look like that's a logical decision.

I think the chance of Roglic being at the Tour if Vingegaard doesn't want him there is slim to nothing.

Disagree NTD
    There's opening a gap, and there's pushing hard to the line to maximise your advantage when the podium is already secure.
    Jonas and Roglic have done the latter, and never ridden in support of Kuss.

Jonas actually brought Kuss back to Roglic once yesterday, but Roglic didn't slow and Kuss couldn't hold on.

Because you see Jonas as "Judas" you're missing the real threat, which is Roglic. If Jonas hadn't followed then you can bet your life he'd be attacking today
  • kingstongraham
    edited September 2023

I think Caley Fretz probably hits the nail on the head. Roglic wants to be leader at TDF 2024, and Vingegaard can't let anything happen that would make it look like that's a logical decision.

I think the chance of Roglic being at the Tour if Vingegaard doesn't want him there is slim to nothing.
    If he proved himself strongest, then there's an argument to be had. He hasn't done that at all, so agreed. Now.
  • TJV on Twitter:

"There's a breakaway group of fourteen riders are the moment. Our guys remained in the peloton, where we are protecting our red jersey. :D "

Even their social guys are getting in on it.