La Vuelta 2023: Stage 18:- Pola de Allande to La Cruz de Linares, 179km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,142
    Poole blew up a bit in the end and finished 4th behind Caruso and Kron.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    roscoe said:

Sadly, I don’t think Roglic will ever win the tour.

I do think Jonas genuinely wants Sepp to win this race, as long as he goes back to domestique duties at the Tour next year

Not that Kuss has ever done anything except support but it's definitely a good way to earn a lot of goodwill.
  • Pross

Was that Caruso in second? 5 minutes after Remco?

Yep, Remco did the lions share of the work in the break and then dropped then all for nearly 5 minutes minimum.
  • Pross
    Not sure why they don't just let Ayuso go.

Roglic can't help himself when Kuss gained a small gap.
  • Haha - nice from Vingegaard making the point
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    A few more of the break managed to hold on including Bernal who finished 7th.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Not easy being a super domestique all.day is it Jonas ...lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,522

Haha - nice from Vingegaard making the point

Today.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Pross said:

A few more of the break managed to hold on including Bernal who finished 7th.

Good to see him up the pointy end.
  • Haha - nice from Vingegaard making the point

Today.
    He had an epiphany yesterday.
  • TheBigBean

Haha - nice from Vingegaard making the point

Today.
    He had an epiphany yesterday.
    Yes, I think so.
  • Pross said:

Was that Caruso in second? 5 minutes after Remco?

Yep, Remco did the lions share of the work in the break and then dropped then all for nearly 5 minutes minimum.
    "Like trying to follow a scooter" :smiley:
  • Just looked at Remco's season. He won GC at the UAE tour, two stages at Catalunya, LBL, a stage at the Giro, a stage at Suisse (even if it was that one), a race at the national champs, San Sebastian, a race at the worlds, and three stages at the Vuelta.

The only one he hasn't won at least a stage is San Juan in January.
  • Pross
    Roglic making it clear he isn't happy with the truce.
  • Had Sky effectively neutralised a race under team orders to get their 3rd best rider in the winners jersey, as a thank you for being a good soldier, the internet would have absolutely shat itself
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

What did he say?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    That was a bit tedious.
    Vinge & Roglic must have had a very stern talking to last night.
  • TheBigBean

Had Sky effectively neutralised a race under team orders to get their 3rd best rider in the winners jersey, as a thank you for being a good soldier, the internet would have absolutely shat itself

I don't think that is true at all. I think a lot of people would have happily seen Kwiakowski win the Vuelta
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2023

Had Sky effectively neutralised a race under team orders to get their 3rd best rider in the winners jersey, as a thank you for being a good soldier, the internet would have absolutely shat itself

In 2017 the internet demanded that Landa be able to ride his own race and attack #freelanda
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    What we have seen is two of the best GC riders in the world forced to ride around Spain in the small ring so a rider who was allowed to go jn a break to win a stage, had several days in red, a podium place guaranteed and a seven figure salary plus bonuses can be rewarded for his efforts.

If I was Vingegaard or Roglic I'd think I've wasted a GT.
  • RichN95.

Pross said:

What did he say?

That he had mixed feelings about the situation
  • bobmcstuff

Not attacking your own team mate is not the same as gifting them a race is it.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95. said:

In 2017 the internet demanded that Landa be able to ride his own race and attack #freelanda
    ... but it didn't happen
  • Had Sky effectively neutralised a race under team orders to get their 3rd best rider in the winners jersey, as a thank you for being a good soldier, the internet would have absolutely shat itself

Not attacking your own team mate is not the same as gifting them a race is it.
    How would gifting him the race differ?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95. said:

What we have seen is two of the best GC riders in the world forced to ride around Spain in the small ring so a rider who was allowed to go jn a break to win a stage, had several days in red, a podium place guaranteed and a seven figure salary plus bonuses can be rewarded for his efforts.

And it's happened because they were meme'd into it on social media.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95. said:

Shouldn't have gone to a gt with three leaders if they didn't want to work as a team.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,960

RichN95. said:

Shouldn't have gone to a gt with three leaders if they didn't want to work as a team.
    Tbf they went with 2 leaders and a super domestique, to whom they owe a fair bit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Cycling Twitter is full of this nonsense