La Vuelta 2023: Stage 18:- Pola de Allande to La Cruz de Linares, 179km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• *LUMP-LET KLAXON*

Prat-let
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133

I think Caley Fretz probably hits the nail on the head. Roglic wants to be leader at TDF 2024, and Vingegaard can't let anything happen that would make it look like that's a logical decision.

https://escapecollective.com/behind-the-facade-fissures-form-at-jumbo/

I think the chance of Roglic being at the Tour if Vingegaard doesn't want him there is slim to nothing.
    If he proved himself strongest, then there's an argument to be had. He hasn't done that at all, so agreed. Now.
    I don't think him winning the Vuelta would have proved it either to be honest with Jonas having just come off winning the Tour while Roglic has had a decent rest. All things being equal I would back Jonas to finish higher in the Tour than Roglic (plus he's got more years left in him so the team would be silly to back Roglic over him).
  • Pross said:

I think Caley Fretz probably hits the nail on the head. Roglic wants to be leader at TDF 2024, and Vingegaard can't let anything happen that would make it look like that's a logical decision.

https://escapecollective.com/behind-the-facade-fissures-form-at-jumbo/

I think the chance of Roglic being at the Tour if Vingegaard doesn't want him there is slim to nothing.
    If he proved himself strongest, then there's an argument to be had. He hasn't done that at all, so agreed. Now.
    I don't think him winning the Vuelta would have proved it either to be honest with Jonas having just come off winning the Tour while Roglic has had a decent rest. All things being equal I would back Jonas to finish higher in the Tour than Roglic (plus he's got more years left in him so the team would be silly to back Roglic over him).
    You aren't Roglic with his massive self belief. Everyone else can see that Vingegaard is clearly the best TDF rider.
  • First time up the final climb - Kron kicks off the racing, Remco follows with Caruso and Poole, but Kron has cracked himself :-(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Kuss sat on Landa's wheel up the climb, with JV and then Rog sat behind. Not sure if the team aren't sheltering him or if he just doesn't dare let JV or Rog go past him!?
  • Pross
    Poole is having a superb ride, last man standing behind Remco but now getting dropped as Remco goes solo with 29km to go.
  • Pross
    The result felt inevitable once it was clear the break were going to stay away.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Remco is he good isn't he.... he just hasn't got the high high mountains in him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    If there's a GC group sprint behind that run in to the kite looks a bit dodge
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Poole looks hammered
  • Pross
    Very technical descent
  • Pross
    Not sure I've ever seen such a twisty descent.
  • Pross
    That was a spectacular shot of the jersey group. It's going to be nervy for them going down the descent in a larger group.
  • Pross said:

It's horrific, hopefully not a talking point later
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross

Pross said:

It's horrific, hopefully not a talking point later
    I suppose the saving grace is there is no long sections to allow them to pick up speeds. Lucky it's dry.
  • Pross
    Jumbo too busy watching each other to bother trying to follow the attacks of others :wink:
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483

Honestly, if Kuss doesn't win this race it's either because he's completely cracked by UAE/Movistar (unlikely) or because Roglic has attacked him

Today's pre-stage interview with Jonas (not a full transcript, and it's in Danish)

Key points:

• Was in doubt abut what he should do yesterday, nobody was giving instructions
    • Wants Kuss to win
    • Has said they shouldn't fight for it, consistently, internally
    • Thinks it would be greedy (his word) to try and win, given what Kuss has done for him
    - Jeg skal gøre det, jeg synes er rigtigt for mig og holdet, og det kommer jeg til at gøre i dag.
    Trans: I shall do what is right for me and the team, and that's what I'll do today

- Det vil være grådigt af mig at gå efter sejren. Jeg kan ikke se, hvorfor jeg skal gå efter sejren, når han har gjort så meget for mig.
    Trans: It would be greedy for me to go after the win. I can't see why I should do that when he's done so much for me

He quite diplomatically didn't have anything to say about Roglic or mention him

https://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2023-09-14-vingegaard-var-i-tvivl-om-beslutning-nu-melder-han-ud-om-taktikken
    I think this sounds right. He has been saying similar stuff earlier.

He can be king maker if he wants. If Roglic goes, Jonas goes with him Jonas wins, if he doesn’t Kuss wins. Jonas is in the position to make that bit happen i reckon.
  • mididoctors
    Come on kuss hold the wheels
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Sadly, I don’t think Roglic will ever win the tour.

I do think Jonas genuinely wants Sepp to win this race, as long as he goes back to domestique duties at the Tour next year
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Nervy watching this.
  • mididoctors
    SK lol
  • mididoctors
    What a career wout poels has had ...dragged a lot of winners in his time
  • mididoctors
    Landa all in for 4th on GC
  • Pross
    How long until the pace setting gets a bit too much and the radio stops working?
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Bernal keeping the flag flying for Ineos. Only 2 hours down
  • mididoctors
    Amazing what 24hours of social media pressure can do
  • mididoctors
    Has remco won?
  • Pross
    Still can't work out Remco in Grand Tours. Is it that he can't sustain the level day in day out for three weeks with his style of racing, is it the big mountains or did he just have a bad day and then decide to steal the style of a French GT hope instead?
  • Pross said:

Still can't work out Remco in Grand Tours. Is it that he can't sustain the level day in day out for three weeks with his style of racing, is it the big mountains or did he just have a bad day and then decide to steal the style of a French GT hope instead?

There's been a lot of chat for ages now about his performance in the biggest hills. He's done nothing in this race to suggest it was misplaced.
  • Was that Caruso in second? 5 minutes after Remco?