Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    I saw a Danish team published by No_ta but haven't seen any others. Who is riding for the GB men's RR team?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Bit weird having arguably the main event as one of the first races.

I was watching that BBC documentary about Josh Quigley last week and he was trying to qualify for the Worlds which I thought was a bit odd. It was only after watching footage of two qualifying events that I realised it was for the Gran Fondo rather than the road race. The documentary obviously didn't explain this.

Not necessarily.
    One article quoted his ambition to do the TdF. Optimistic doesn't come close.
    That got mentioned in the documentary too. It's great that cycling has helped in mentally and saved his life but he came across as a bit of a dreamer.
    Apparently he came 46th in a road race this year and he has the grand total of zero points according his British cycling ranking. Dreamer is stretching it a bit.
  • Would add Ox and Finch as an extremely good place to get some food.

Mostly small plates, but very well done. And sells beer

Great spot. Crabshakk Is another recommendation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Pross said:

andyrac said:

Pross said:

It's not the Road Worlds though......I'm guessing it's been done in the hope that a GB rider could ride the Road race, and the XCO race a week later.....
    Sure but I'd still argue that on the world stage the road races are the biggest event.
    Well it certainly worked to the point that MvdP will be selling out his road palmares for a good training ride in Glasgow before his XCO race. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

I was dropping my car off in Perth this morning and there was a fair few way too healthy folk out on recon rides for the Gran Fondo.

While reading up on all the routes I noticed that the Gran Frodo is a proper race where you need to qualify through earlier rides. It is not a standard sportive.
    Yeah, those were the races being covered in that Josh Quigley documentary.
    I don't know the Quigley documentary referred to, but I don't think you qualify as such for Glasgow, rather you are nominated by your national federation based on your result in a qualifying gran fondo, which is just a normal sportive/gran fondo. Though if you'd like to be nominated, you have to be already registered/licensed with your national federation, not just turn up for that one gran fondo.

The list of gran fondo used to decide nomination can be found online, roughly one qualifying gran-fondo in each of two-dozen countries, a few countries with two, like France and GB. Countries without a qualifying event can also nominate participants, although I don't know what criteria would then be used.

At first I found some of the qualifying events surprising, e.g. the two in France aren't the hardest cyclosportives in France (the one in the Vosges isn't even the hardest in the Vosges). Similarly, the one in Austria is in a relatively flat area of Austria, not the Alps at all, and the one in Italy could be harder, it is around Varese, only on the periphery of the Alps.

But the UCI must have intentionally chosen not-the most-difficult because obviously not all countries have high mountains (and the parcours in Scotland, despite its overall climbing, isn't alpine in nature anyway). This is exemplified by the qualifying gran fondo in the the GB – the IOM Gran Fondo and the Tour of Cambridgeshire – on Rick's doorstep, with a bit of effort in June, he could have qualified!

Re pblakeney's comment that the WC Glasgow Gran Fondo is a proper race, not a standard sportive, I'd say that many continental gran fondo are basically proper races, at least for the top 100 finishers.
    In Italy, doing well in Novi Colli can lead to an approach by a professional team, while in France, there are a couple of annual competitions whereby the results of several cyclosportives are summated and, as well as prizes, the overall winners often get invitations from professional teams.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    edited August 2023
    jimmyjams said:

Re pblakeney's comment that the WC Glasgow Gran Fondo is a proper race, not a standard sportive, I'd say that many continental gran fondo are basically proper races, at least for the top 100 finishers.

What I meant is that it is not a sportive that you can simply sign up for and pootle around.
    Which was my impression when I first heard of it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The Fondo route might not be mountainous but it’s pretty punchy. Like a lot of the Perthshire and Angus back roads it can be taxing. I’m surprised they’ve not be featured in the ToB more often.
  • The Fondo route might not be mountainous but it’s pretty punchy. Like a lot of the Perthshire and Angus back roads it can be taxing. I’m surprised they’ve not be featured in the ToB more often.

Remember TOB routes are not dictated by good roads to race on. The first priority is who is willing to pay to host. Then you worry about the course.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

The Fondo route might not be mountainous but it’s pretty punchy. Like a lot of the Perthshire and Angus back roads it can be taxing. I’m surprised they’ve not be featured in the ToB more often.

Remember TOB routes are not dictated by good roads to race on. The first priority is who is willing to pay to host. Then you worry about the course.
    It's a commercial venture first and foremost and deer don't buy much.
  • andyrac said:

Pross said:

It's not the Road Worlds though......I'm guessing it's been done in the hope that a GB rider could ride the Road race, and the XCO race a week later.....
    I'd have thought if that's what they were hoping for, they got it the wrong way round.
    Much higher chance of a crash in the road race and a DNS in the other event as a result than vice versa.
    Hence neither Pidders (XCO) nor Ganna (track) are in the RR
  • andyp said:

The Fondo route might not be mountainous but it’s pretty punchy. Like a lot of the Perthshire and Angus back roads it can be taxing. I’m surprised they’ve not be featured in the ToB more often.

It's a commercial venture first and foremost and deer don't buy much.
    Perth, Dundee and somewhere like St Andrews for a start / finish. There’s money. It’s only a matter of time.
  • St Vincent St is a great place to watch from by the way. You can see them huff up, then make your way through West Campbell Street (2 mins walk) and wait for them to hurtle down West George Street. I did this at the British Champs. The speed they get to on the latter is nuts.
  • pblakeney

St Vincent St is a great place to watch from by the way. You can see them huff up, then make your way through West Campbell Street (2 mins walk) and wait for them to hurtle down West George Street. I did this at the British Champs. The speed they get to on the latter is nuts.

I've got free digs at the east end of the route, watch them roll through then get a bus into Glasgow. This sounds ideal! Whisky at the Pot Still after the last pass through if anyone is up for it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Brian Smith was slating the route last week. Said it it rains it'll be down right dangerous. I haven't been impressed the previous times they've used similar routes. It's repetitive and dull, like watching a formula 1 street race.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    gsk82 said:

Brian Smith was slating the route last week. Said it it rains it'll be down right dangerous. I haven't been impressed the previous times they've used similar routes. It's repetitive and dull, like watching a formula 1 street race.

That was my conclusion after watching a city centre crit.
    But then I figured world's elite on a reachable doorstep? May as well. Forecast is dry.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

gsk82 said:

That was my conclusion after watching a city centre crit.
    But then I figured world's elite on a reachable doorstep? May as well. Forecast is dry.
    A stopped clock is right twice a day and the Glasgow forecast is dry twice a year ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    gsk82 said:

It probably will be raining

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    edited August 2023
    BBC showing all (?) events.

Link to listing https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/66316000

added plus a live link via BBC website, on just now for the track qualifying
  • Don't use The Weather Channel rick - it's total fantasy forecasting.

Use:

https://www.netweather.tv/
    https://www.forecast.co.uk/rain/

Even the BBC via Meteo is improving.

Right now there's a less than 30% chance of rain, and if the rain appears it'll be light.
  • This is the best site for 'live' precipitation btw

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

gsk82 said:

It probably will be raining

Met Office forecast shows Sunday being OK, not great for the Saturday though but at least they haven't got the gales forecast that we have further south.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668
    edited August 2023
    Gutted. I was just up in Scotland this last 10 days. Saw all the prep, signs, pothole filling and road resurfacing etc. The routes are going almost directly past three different places where we were staying.
    I hope the weather is better than we had up there.

Edit: we also saw the Ineos Team coach at Gretna Services as we were driving down. Didn't see any riders though.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Good, not, start to team GB in mens' team pursuit, crash out on final lap.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    Saw Michael Matthews riding through Falkirk town centre earlier... followed a few minutes later by what looked like the rest of team Oz. Surreal!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    orraloon said:

Just watched that back, not a nice fall. Went down very awkwardly
  • Tashman said:

orraloon said:

Hitting the deck at over 60kmh can't ever be fun. Thankfully, the rider concerned (Harry T) left track unaided, if rather gingerly. He will undoubtedly be "feeling it" in the morning!
  • Tashman said:

orraloon said:

So others can also watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/live/cknl3pq8pxwt
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647

Saw Michael Matthews riding through Falkirk town centre earlier... followed a few minutes later by what looked like the rest of team Oz. Surreal!

So exciting when this is happening where you live/spend a lot of time in.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668

So exciting when this is happening where you live/spend a lot of time in.
    I've a sister, a brother in law and two nieces, each with husbands that live virtually on the route Dumbarton, Bonnybridge, Letham and Falkirk! None of them are particularly interested in cycling. It's criminal! Feckers!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.