Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited August 2023
    "Mathieu van der Poel may receive a welcome windfall towards the World Championships mountain biking next Saturday. The Dutchman from Alpecin-Deceuninck should normally be on the very last row, but it could just be that he ends up on row four through a loophole. And that could theoretically make his catch-up race a lot easier in Scotland...

In mountain bike World Cup races, riders who are in the top ten ranking in another cycling discipline are allowed to take a seat further in front. Van der Poel is currently sixth in the UCI World Ranking for road cycling and fifth in the same ranking for cyclocross, so he falls under that special arrangement in World Cup races.

A small problem: the technical guide of this year's mountain biking World Championships does not indicate that riders have a special arrangement based on their performance in the other disciplines. There we simply read that the riders are lined up at the start in order of the UCI Ranking.

The World Championships organization in Glentress Forest, Scotland is currently looking at the possibility of adjusting this, so that the technical guide largely corresponds to competitions in the World Cup and Van der Poel can therefore start a few rows further from the front. That would then be in the fourth row, In de Leiderstrui reports. But will the other riders fighting for an Olympic starting ticket be so happy about that?"

Do we know where Pidcock will start, or how many rows will there be?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

ddraver said:

Does anyone know why MvdP doesn't use a dropper post? I've never ridden with one, but I can see the advantages.

For a long time the reason for most of them was weight. I can't think of a better one.

They are game changing even to mere mortals.
    The world of mountain biking is very different from the one I used to play around with. I used a rigid...bike.
    I got a rigid (carbon) MTB during 2021 as there wasn't a great deal of choice during COVID - first thing I changed was to put a dropper on. Makes things like that steep rock drop/roller way more achievable.

I now have a 120mm fork on there as well, plus better wheels/tyres, but the dropper makes a massive difference to rideability especially on anything steep (obviously the fork makes a big difference on rough stuff, but I wouldn't say it makes things that weren't rideable before rideable, just a lot faster...)

I know some very good riders don't use them when the course is relatively non-technical for the weight saving. But this course isn't that!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

ddraver said:

Does anyone know why MvdP doesn't use a dropper post? I've never ridden with one, but I can see the advantages.

For a long time the reason for most of them was weight. I can't think of a better one.

They are game changing even to mere mortals.
    The world of mountain biking is very different from the one I used to play around with. I used a rigid...bike.
    I got a rigid (carbon) MTB during 2021 as there wasn't a great deal of choice during COVID - first thing I changed was to put a dropper on. Makes things like that steep rock drop/roller way more achievable.

I now have a 120mm fork on there as well, plus better wheels/tyres, but the dropper makes a massive difference to rideability especially on anything steep (obviously the fork makes a big difference on rough stuff, but I wouldn't say it makes things that weren't rideable before rideable, just a lot faster...)

I know some very good riders don't use them when the course is relatively non-technical for the weight saving. But this course isn't that!
    I'm in no doubt that they sound good and would definitely want one if I took up mountain biking. All the other stuff, I'm less excited by.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    World & Euro Championships are gridded according to the most recent UCI ranking (released every Tuesday). World Cups are entirely different; but we know that. There is a reason he is carrying No 101 - that's where he is meant to be gridded. Any other position is just last minute rule changing to suit the UCI, as I doubt the rider has requested it.

I've seen a tweet from a road journalist that doesn't seem to realise World Cup ranking/ rules are not the same as World Championships.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Didn't see any of you mention this yesterday, do I need to set homework? ;)

Hope you were all taking notes ;)

Another name on the "one for the future" list

16 year old Albert Withen Philipsen, JNR DK TT and Road champ + MTB and Cross titles

He can add the World's Jnr MTB XCO title as well now, so it seems that as far as Jnr's go he is "all that"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    Yeah, I mentioned it elsewhere; he's a first year junior, and is setting times U23 riders would be pleased with. Can he complete the set next year at the CX Worlds?

I saw a tweet from a Danish fan trying to dampen enthusiasm; remember Simon Andreassen??....Junior World Champion XCO x2, and CX in 2014/15. He's now 'merely' a Top20 Elite rider...though he has had plenty of injuries.

I may be wrong, but I do think Philipsen is a generational talent.....in any discipline. Time will tell.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyrac said:

Yeah, I mentioned it elsewhere; he's a first year junior, and is setting times U23 riders would be pleased with. Can he complete the set next year at the CX Worlds?

I saw a tweet from a Danish fan trying to dampen enthusiasm; remember Simon Andreassen??....Junior World Champion XCO x2, and CX in 2014/15. He's now 'merely' a Top20 Elite rider...though he has had plenty of injuries.

I may be wrong, but I do think Philipsen is a generational talent.....in any discipline. Time will tell.

It's always difficult to know if young talents are just early developers that will get caught later. There are a lot of people right now trying to make sure Philipsen doesn't get too overhyped and pressured - particularly because the Danish definition/perception of success is currently spectacularly high thanks to Vingegaard, Mads P, Asgreen and Cort. I wonder if the cross-disciplinary factor is an indicator though?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Ben Wiggins just gone 3rd fastest at the first split in the Jr TT.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited August 2023
    DeadCalm said:

Ben Wiggins just gone 3rd fastest at the first split in the Jr TT.

The wind has picked up though, this probably means a bit of tailwind home
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

andyrac said:

It's always difficult to know if young talents are just early developers that will get caught later. There are a lot of people right now trying to make sure Philipsen doesn't get too overhyped and pressured - particularly because the Danish definition/perception of success is currently spectacularly high thanks to Vingegaard, Mads P, Asgreen and Cort. I wonder if the cross-disciplinary factor is an indicator though?
    Probably less likely to be the case when he's beating those a couple of years older at present. I think it's a bigger issue in the slightly younger age groups too. I suppose it is also a much smaller pool racing in a two year age group than when you end up with the best of a much wider age range though if that makes sense.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Just caught up on the short track, looks like it's dried up a bit since I was there last weekend...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited August 2023
    Oscar Chamberlain (AUS) goes fastest by 34", absolutely flew up the climb
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Wiggins comes in 2nd, 24" down
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Final top 3

CHAMBERLAIN Oscar
    28:29.62
    WIGGINS Ben
    +24.78
    LEIDERT Louis
    +34.11

Meanwhile, u23 MTB XCO is onto the last lap with a GB, France, Swiss front three group 30-40" ahead of the next best
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    French guy attacked on the start climb, Charlie Aldridge countered, they dropped the Swiss guy and then Aldridge gained 5-6 seconds on the descent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Aldridge takes it comfortably
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Aldridge takes it comfortably

Pleased that a Scot won on home soil.
  • andyrac
    And adds an U23 World title to his Junior Worlds won in 2019 in Mont Sainte-Anne....
  • Eldest has just seen the semi-final for the trials riding.

"Dog agility for bikes" was their somewhat scornful summary.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Simon Brotherton is back on commentary for the men's tt.
  • WvA has just set off in the mens TT.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Kasper Asgreen fastest at the first intermediate.... Hmmmm....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Tarling even faster
  • Pross
    Tarling currently leader at CP1 by 20" over Asgreen, Wout approaching so I suspect that will change very soon.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    The difference in shape between Ganna and Pog sat next to each other.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    WvA only 6th at first split, 27s down on Tarling
  • Pross
    Actually Wout is 27" down!!
  • Oh dear WVA.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Has Josh gone out too hard?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Remco