The gert big music thread

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 18,048
edited July 2023 in The cake stop
Any genre, any era, what you love, what you hate, whatevs.

My stuff is classical and big band jazz (and some not-big-band jazz), and am pretty ignorant about rock/pop apart from stuff that was around when I was at university (82-85) and that my friends listened to... Dire Straits, Level 42, U2, Simple Minds, Blondie. I like stuff like Snarky Puppy, and Youngblood Brass Band for more modern stuff. I tend to listen to France Musique a lot on their internet themed channels for classical concerts, 'Plus' where they do more obscure stuff, and La Jazz... you can probably work out what that it.

I once went to nightclub where the music was so loud that I spent most of the evening in the stairwell. I've never quite understood why people would want music to be consistently so loud you can't talk to your friends, and you end up deafened. I'm probably in a minority, but at least I'm not deaf yet.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How do you find The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain any thoughts.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    On the point of longevity - Oasis / Gallaghers are doing okay.
  • Growing up during the Madchester scene and then Britpop, I generally gravitate towards guitar and indie bands, UK and US bands. Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The National, Stone Roses, that kind of thing.

Fan of mid 20th century jazz, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Monk etc. Don't have much knowledge of later artists or the earlier big band era.

90's hip hop as well, the modern stuff doesn't appeal apart from a few artists like Kendrick Lamar and Tyler the Creator.

I think there are some interesting post punk bands around now like Idles and Shame producing some good stuff.

Also a big fan of more niche UK dance genres like trip hop and the like; Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack. I think Young Fathers carry the flag for that kind of music at present, great band and amazing live performers.

Final one, 1970's folk rock/Americana, Neil Young, CSN, The Band etc.

Greatest album ever recorded is Marvin Gaye 'What's Going On'. There is to be no debate about this 😁

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Music, my second biggest love after cycling….. ! It should be a subject which transcends division, but y’know, can get some odd types telling you something is cool or not. I don’t care, I just love a decent melody, a trick chord progression and that the same 12 notes (in western world at least) can conjure up so many different emotions.

Even though I play guitar, watching a talented someone else play an instrument live, in front of you always puts hairs on my neck. And hearing what others listen to always inspires me to go ans listen - I think I might now go and put on some Aker Bilk tonight now you’ve mentioned Jazz! And you also said some French music? We spent nearly a year working in Paris and really enjoyed FIP radio and some of the French Pop - the song ‘Formidable’ sums up my summer there in 2013! And on a French note… went to my first opera a fortnight ago to see Carmen. Amazing how much of the music was recognisable.
  • shirley_basso
    When I lived in France, the song I recall more than anything was Renan Luce - La Lettre, or his other song, Les Voisins. Very catchy tune.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The first live band I went see was Slade supported by Thin Lizzy and Suzy Quattro.
    Then Genesis, Peter Gabriel. Stranglers, Clash, Jam, Buzzcocks ,Sham 69, Magazine several time plus other punk bands and some where in the middle Meat loaf. Then a big gap after getting married. Then Springsteen a couple of times. Lloyd Cole, Springsteen, Big Country 3 times, James, David Gray, Lloyd Cole. Ukulele Orchestra of GB, Big Country, Elvis at the village hall 3 times, Vivaldi at Beverley Minster.
    Next is the Heb Celt festival in Stornaway to see Nightworks, Skerryvore and Peat and Diesel.
    Once upon a time I would leave the room if certain music was played now I’m a bit more mellow about it although listening to Cliff Richard might induce projectile vomiting.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,781
    webboo said:

How do you find The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain any thoughts.

Awesome, their cover of Wuthering Heights is inspired.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

When I lived in France, the song I recall more than anything was Renan Luce - La Lettre, or his other song, Les Voisins. Very catchy tune.

I like! Very catchy .Having un nuit de musique français. …. Sébastien Tellier : La Ritournelle . It’s really rather good when the vocals finally kick in. Would love to hear this with a full orchestra and the laid back snap of that snare live.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,781
    If I was out on a ride and arrived at the cake stop with these 2 characters hanging out at the cafe, I would be in my element.

https://youtu.be/NdqTTCKlABo

Clarinet and ukulele, so cute.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,048

If I was out on a ride and arrived at the cake stop with these 2 characters hanging out at the cafe, I would be in my element.

https://youtu.be/NdqTTCKlABo

Clarinet and ukulele, so cute.

Thanks - sometimes the simplest things are the most lovely. Almost impossible not to smile listening to that.
  • Any genre, any era, what you love, what you hate, whatevs.

I've never quite understood why people would want music to be consistently so loud you can't talk to your friends, and you end up deafened. I'm probably in a minority, but at least I'm not deaf yet.

Count me in your minority.
    Cocteau Twins - timeless.
    Blue Nile - largely forgotten but still worth a listen.
    Chemical Brothers most recent album - 'No Geography' is their best ever.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
    Claim to fame; bought Alex Turner a drink at Bungalow and Bears when I was at uni.
  • rick_chasey

Growing up during the Madchester scene and then Britpop, I generally gravitate towards guitar and indie bands, UK and US bands. Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The National, Stone Roses, that kind of thing.

Fan of mid 20th century jazz, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Monk etc. Don't have much knowledge of later artists or the earlier big band era.

90's hip hop as well, the modern stuff doesn't appeal apart from a few artists like Kendrick Lamar and Tyler the Creator.

I think there are some interesting post punk bands around now like Idles and Shame producing some good stuff.

Also a big fan of more niche UK dance genres like trip hop and the like; Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack. I think Young Fathers carry the flag for that kind of music at present, great band and amazing live performers.

Final one, 1970's folk rock/Americana, Neil Young, CSN, The Band etc.

Greatest album ever recorded is Marvin Gaye 'What's Going On'. There is to be no debate about this 😁

Seen Radiohead 3 times (Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows, King of Limbs tours), am a bit of a super fan, and I did manage to catch massive attack at the O2 on the 20 year mezzanine anniversary (was a bit too young as a 10 year old to go see them when that came out, even if I loved it to bits then).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,712
    As a teenager I was into my metal and saw the likes of Metallica and Anthrax live. Strange to think how much venues have changed, I first saw Metallica on the Damaged Justice tour in 1988 at Newport Centre (capacity 2,000) and they were also the last band I saw live at the Etihad which holds around 60,000. Obviously very different gigs but not sure which I would say was better.

These days I tend to listen to songs rather than entire albums as I get a bit bored if listening to the same sound for too long and my playlist really is eclectic. There's still some Metallica on there but at the other end of the scale there's some Sinatra and even bits of musical theatre. I generally like something I can sing along to while driving!

I'm also in the Brian camp when it comes to loud music, I especially don't understand people having music on really loud in cars - do they really think people are going to be impressed by their musical taste? I also don't get people who listen to dance music in their car, whilst it has never been my thing I can see the point of it in a club but whilst driving?
  • Seen Radiohead 3 times (Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows, King of Limbs tours)

Am very jealous, never seen them live. Don't really know why to be honest, I own all their records and play them more than any others but have never actually made the effort to go to one of their gigs.

I know most Radiohead fans will disagree, but I have always felt In Rainbows was a better album than OK Computer (as much as I love that record).
  • rick_chasey

Seen Radiohead 3 times (Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows, King of Limbs tours)

Am very jealous, never seen them live. Don't really know why to be honest, I own all their records and play them more than any others but have never actually made the effort to go to one of their gigs.

I know most Radiohead fans will disagree, but I have always felt In Rainbows was a better album than OK Computer (as much as I love that record).
    In rainbows is the peak tbh. And what a peak too.

I am not that fussed about the bends tbh.

Am a general fanboi for Thom Yorke stuff too - love his solo stuff. Have you listened to the Smile yet? They put out a new single last week too.
  • Cocteau Twins - timeless.
    Blue Nile - largely forgotten but still worth a listen.

Good shout on both of these. 'Heaven or Las Vegas' and 'Hats' are particular favourites. Paul Buchanan released a great solo album a few years back as well.
  • As this thread partially originated out of a Glastonbury discussion. Has anyone actually been? Unfortunately, as I cannot stand being in large crowds of people, Festivals in general aren't for me. Would be good to hear of other Forum members Glasto (or other music festival) experiences.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,316
    Good live bands I've seen in the last year or so - Black Honey, Wet Leg, The 1975, The Divine Comedy, Trampolene, Suede.

Looking forward to seeing Pulp and boygenius among others in the next couple of months. I decided to just try and go see pretty much anyone I vaguely like who comes to town.

Seeing John Cale was an experience, but I'll admit I'd prefer to have seen him do a bit less of a full on sonic assault.
  • rick_chasey
    1975? Give over, really?

Blander than unseasoned overcooked chicken.

• Am a general fanboi for Thom Yorke stuff too - love his solo stuff. Have you listened to the Smile yet? They put out a new single last week too.

The Eraser is a much underrated album. Yes, bought The Smile album a few weeks back, even better record than I had hoped for. The addition of Tom Skinner on the drums has really added something to their sound.
  • kingstongraham

1975? Give over, really?

Blander than unseasoned overcooked chicken.

Saw them in a small venue down the road here, and honestly, one of the best shows I've seen. A set packed with great pop songs.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

As this thread partially originated out of a Glastonbury discussion. Has anyone actually been? Unfortunately, as I cannot stand being in large crowds of people, Festivals in general aren't for me. Would be good to hear of other Forum members Glasto (or other music festival) experiences.

Did Glastonbury in ‘92 which in effect was the start of the modern version you now see.
    First year with a perimeter fence following all the running battles between police and New Age travellers at the previous event.

Had already done reading a couple of times and it was striking how much bigger Glastonbury is. I believe Glastonbury is now about twice as big as when I went. Which sounds insanely large to me.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,863
    Wondered how long it would take for this to descend into a "my taste is better than yours" mire. All opinions are valid since it is a subjective medium.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

Wondered how long it would take for this to descend into a "my taste is better than yours" mire. All opinions are valid since it is a subjective medium.

I found Inhaler very dull, but I assume other people enjoy them and that's great.
  • shirley_basso

As this thread partially originated out of a Glastonbury discussion. Has anyone actually been? Unfortunately, as I cannot stand being in large crowds of people, Festivals in general aren't for me. Would be good to hear of other Forum members Glasto (or other music festival) experiences.

2013. Was amazing. Good weather, good friends and a superb pitch near to everything. It such a surreal experience as it's so large you can barely imagine the size of the entire estate.

My main takeaway from that year being "you know how amazing everyone says Glastonbury is,.and that it can't possibly live up to the hype? Well it's even better than that"

Musical Highlights without specifically checking:

Steve aoki
    Fatboy slim
    Bastille
    Smashing pumpkins
    The hives
    Arctic monkeys
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    Fairly limited in terms of Gigs for me. in the 90s it was Guns n Roses at Wembley then Bon Jovi 3 times (2 Wembley Stadium, 1 Wembley Arena) then a long break until taken along on a freebie to see Deacon Blue at the Brighton centre. Was a great gig and didn't realise how well I knew their stuff.
    A couple of smaller festivals where the highlight was The Proclaimers, anthemic tunes with a crowd are always amazing. Dancing to 500 miles with my 6 year old daughter was a great memory.
    My wife took my daughter to Harry Styles at Wembley recently for her first proper gig. She loved every second, my wife not so much. Both could have done without WetLeg as support.
  • Did Glastonbury in ‘92 which in effect was the start of the modern version you now see.
    First year with a perimeter fence following all the running battles between police and New Age travellers at the previous event.

Interesting. It's amazing how much bigger it has become in the last 2-3 decades, I didn't realise that they have onsite hospitals/dentists now!

I was trying to think of the first time I watched it on TV. I have memories of seeing Pulp headline 1995. Having googled it, Channel 4 showed live coverage that year, the BBC didn't take up the reigns until 1999 apparently.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,727
    There was a time back in the days when I did garden maintenance work for two of the neighbouring properties of where Radiohead had (one of) their rehearsal places. The old dear there was rather fond of 'The Lads'. Not sure if they appreciated me adding in power tool background sounds; haven't noticed such on any of their tracks. Yet.
  • 2013. Was amazing. Good weather, good friends and a superb pitch near to everything. It such a surreal experience as it's so large you can barely imagine the size of the entire estate.

My main takeaway from that year being "you know how amazing everyone says Glastonbury is,.and that it can't possibly live up to the hype? Well it's even better than that"

It's one of those unfortunate things, where I know if the whole crowd thing wasn't an issue for me that I would love it, but I know it would just detract and spoil my enjoyment. I completely get why so many do it though. My mate used to go with an old Uni friend of his year after year for a good while. He isn't the type to wax lyrical about anything, but always said it is far better than you can imagine once you experience it yourself.