Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4th - 11th ***Spoilers***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,510
    mrb123 said:

Gaudu, halfway through this season's transfer of the Great French Hope batton, is in trouble. Good to see him getting into the spirit of things early.

Even he thought he'd been put in the wrong tier on that other thread!

Artist's impression of the baton in question

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Bernal the only Ineos rider to finish in the first group, not a good day for them.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    edited June 2023
    Ben is a bit of a dark horse.. The 3rd step of the tour podium is going to be a tussle
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Bernal the only Ineos rider to finish in the first group, not a good day for them.

Surely if Bernal is finishing in a lead group it's a bloody brilliant day for them, isn't it?
  • mididoctors
    Was that just opportunistic by Jonas ...I think it was
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Was that just opportunistic by Jonas ...I think it was

It was. Before the stage he'd talked about leaving Bjerg in yellow for a day more
  • Pross

Pross said:

Surely if Bernal is finishing in a lead group it's a bloody brilliant day for them, isn't it?
    Longer term maybe (I guess we'll see over the next few days but it was great to see him up there and he was the only one who made an effort to chase down JV) but in terms of the race they aren't in a good position. Bernal took it relatively easy yesterday in comparison with most that were in his group so may have been a bit fresher.
  • mididoctors
    Big break ....no threat to GC .. getting pulled back though
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    Has Vingegaard slipped Uno-X a few Danish Kroner to ride for him today?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 818
    andyp said:

Has Vingegaard slipped Uno-X a few Danish Kroner to ride for him today?

Keeping his options open in case JV go under😉.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Pross
    Zimmerman with the win from a break of 3 that split off the main break. Kirby declared he wasn't going to be able to respond when Burgaudeau opened his sprint with 200m to go having clawed his way back to Zimmerman 500m out but was saying it literally as Zimmerman had closed the gap and clearly had more pace. Castroviejo in third having found it impossible to get out of his role of sitting on the front pretty much from the time I started watching with 20km plus to go.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Zimmerman with the win from a break of 3 that split off the main break. Kirby declared he wasn't going to be able to respond when Burgaudeau opened his sprint with 200m to go having clawed his way back to Zimmerman 500m out but was saying it literally as Zimmerman had closed the gap and clearly had more pace. Castroviejo in third having found it impossible to get out of his role of sitting on the front pretty much from the time I started watching with 20km plus to go.

Zimmermann doesn't have the greatest looking style on a bike ....thumped out the win
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Biggest win for George Zimmmerman since he was cleared of murdering Trayvon Martin
  • mididoctors
    GC group all together up front on final climb showdown

Jonas active controlling pace solo
  • mididoctors
    Jonas clipping off 5 k try o go ...Yates and o Conner follow at a distance looking buggered
  • mididoctors
    Yates trying to make a effort ...12s
  • mididoctors
    Yates riding well holding at 16 s
  • mididoctors
    Falling back to 30 s now .... O'Conner group at a min
  • mididoctors
    Bernal climbing with the main chase group

Jonas Yates jai O'Conner in that order on there own ....everyone else .

Jonas to hot too soon? Or unbeatable?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,563
    Vingergaard
    Yates +44
    Handley +54
    O Connor +1:05
    Others a bit further back
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,676
    It’s incredible but so predictable.
    Two riders on a different planet to the rest with Evenepoel aiming to make it a threesome.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Two riders on a different planet to the rest with Evenepoel aiming to make it a threesome.

Didn’t you get the memo. This is the exciting new generation.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Well done to Victor who achieved his goal to get the Kom jersey today. He's a man who likes a mission.
    Poole also deserves a congratulations mention, now in the white jersey.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,371

Don't forget Tier 4 Gaudu (like he's forgotten he's supposed to be Tier 4)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    r0bh said:

Don't forget Tier 4 Gaudu (like he's forgotten he's supposed to be Tier 4)
    He was actually in Tier 3, so you've dropped him.
    Don't worry, he used to it.
  • mididoctors
    S8 good stage ...decent race overall considering Jonas dominated it. All top riders on GC had to show individual efforts to hold their position. . o Conner looking good . UAE very strong with yates a credible "the old one two " Vs Jonas in the tour UAE to jumbofy jumbo
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    That final climb is brutal.
    Take out Jonas and there was a decent scrap for the podium positions.

Jonas a different level, but UAE looking strong as a team.

Max Poole had a really good race and should only improve a lot as he is very young still.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    edited June 2023

That final climb is brutal.
    Take out Jonas and there was a decent scrap for the podium positions.

Jonas a different level, but UAE looking strong as a team.

Max Poole had a really good race and should only improve a lot as he is very young still.

I'm fairly sure there's a hill climb event up it every autumn. Just as steep as a lot of British events but a fair bit longer. There's a very discreet statue at the top (I want to say in honour of Claveyrolat but wouldn't want to be held to that and I've never really learned why it's there - other than to honour a man of Grenoble who met a sad end).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    RichN95. said:

Didn’t you get the memo. This is the exciting new generation.
    Last year’s Tour was in the top 10% of all time and we’ve consistently had the most exciting classics seasons since that lot arrived (even LBL wasn’t rubbish once in the last 3 years, which is a triple improvement on the previous 10 years)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,089
    phreak said:

I'm fairly sure there's a hill climb event up it every autumn. Just as steep as a lot of British events but a fair bit longer.

There is, I've done it. I don't know about longer, it's 2km and takes the fastest riders under 10 minutes and it took me more like 15. I occassionally ride up at lunchtime.

Claveyrolat is still extremely popular with the French and his daughter Laurianne contests a lot of what you may read about him - she wanted to sue Paul Kimmage until her lawyer pointed out that he can say what he likes about the dead.

He was born at the foot of the Bastille climb btw.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme