Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4th - 11th ***Spoilers***

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    andyp said:

I don't recall Steve Cummings being labelled a poor bike handler when he did the same.

In his days, we had the moto 2 feed readily available on Eurosport player to admire his skills. We've tragically lost that. Progress, huh?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    andyp said:

I don't recall Steve Cummings being labelled a poor bike handler when he did the same.

But were his team ever setting up Cummings for the sprint?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    Talking of Cummings he is in the ineos team car
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Kom jersey has pulled up with some sort of the injury
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Wasn't as uphill as I thought but JA still pulled that off ..... Interesting finale put a lot of different riders types into contention ...
  • mididoctors
    Lol Fred Wright face
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Of course Alaphilippe wins when I've ruled him out for PTP on the basis that he hasn't shown any form. Not sure what Fred Wright was doing, sat in the JV train then when the sprint started he went on the opposite side of the road to everyone else but didn't really start to sprint (assuming CK identified the Bahrain rider correctly) he was up there in about 6th.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Of course Alaphilippe wins when I've ruled him out for PTP on the basis that he hasn't shown any form. Not sure what Fred Wright was doing, sat in the JV train then when the sprint started he went on the opposite side of the road to everyone else but didn't really start to sprint (assuming CK identified the Bahrain rider correctly) he was up there in about 6th.

JA looked focused yesterday ...had killer position on the bike

• mididoctors
    Good finishing circuits
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,025
    Would be great to see JA get back to his puncheur best, was right up there with MVDP and WVA before that massive crash a year or so ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    Pross said:

He got baulked by Tesfatsion as they came around that final bend.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,859
    Having avoided the result, would anyone be kind enough to let me know at what mileage from home it is worth tuning in?

Thankyou :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,806
    Pross said:

There's your first mistake ;)
  • takethehighroad
    daniel_b said:

Having avoided the result, would anyone be kind enough to let me know at what mileage from home it is worth tuning in?

As little as possible. Maybe last 10k
  • kingstongraham

daniel_b said:

I watched the last 5km and don't feel I missed much.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

daniel_b said:

I watched the last 5km and don't feel I missed much.
    Likewise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Steven Kruijswijk broke his collarbone and pelvis,
    out of the Tour de France squad.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    gweeds said:

Roglic's holiday just got interrupted.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,371
    gweeds said:

Who's going to call into question his positioning and bike handling?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    daniel_b said:

There's always the ITV4 highlights
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Lotta collarbone to break on that chap.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    edited June 2023
    r0bh said:

gweeds said:

Who's going to call into question his positioning and bike handling?
    Yes clearly the guy who crashed into a snowbank when Nibali put him under pressure on a downhill has outstanding technical abilities. All professionals are equally great at everything! 😛

Or is it Geraint Thomas hero worship (because he seems to genuinely be a really good dude) or reflexive British cyclist defending (since the case in this point was Hayter)?

All riders crash. Some crash more than others. (Those riding for Ineos crash the most 😜😂).
    There are multiple reasons for it with bad luck definitely playing a part which @Pross described well enough in his Geraint Thomas example. Dismissing any lack of ability in the entire process does seem rather ludicrous to me.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,859
    edited June 2023
    Looking at the upcoming stages, would seem the GC action is unlikely to kick off in earnest until Friday, seems like the last 3 days are ripe for those looking to gain time.

*I realise there is an ITT inbetween.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    Protest on the road apparently. Retirement age stuff maybe? Anyway, with the threat of it being rerouted, the protestors cleared a path for the race to go through.
  • Pross
    Big pile up right in front of the TV bike, JA down but no-one looks too bad.
  • Pross
    Zeits possibly out after going over the bars. He didn't look too badly hurt, CK reckons maybe concussion protocol which actually makes sense!
  • Pross
    Incredibly dull stage, there's not even a break with 36km remaining and spread across the full width of the road.
  • kingstongraham
    To give an idea of the excitement with 30km to go, the commentators are discussing how some teams put the radios on the riders' backs, and other teams put them elsewhere.
  • takethehighroad
    @daniel_b There's still 20k to go but I can confidently say you will only need to watch the last kilometre to see all the action on this stage. An absolute snooze fest
  • Pross
    They didn't even contest the "climb" for the KOM points as the bunch was spread across the narrow road leaving no room for an attack.