Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4th - 11th ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,392
edited June 2023 in Pro race
I am off on my travels again tomorrow, so won't be around for this or Suisse. However, I can start a race thread.

Stage 1:- Chambon sur Lac -Chambon sur Lac 158kms.

Stage 2:- Brassac les Mines - La Chaise-Dieu 167.5Kms.

Stage 3:- Monistrol sur Loire - Le Coteau 194.5Kms

Stage 4:- Cours - Belmont de la Loire 31.1 Kms ITT.

Stage 5:- Cormoranche sur Soane - Salins le Bains 191.5Kms

Stage 6:- Nantua - Crest-Voland 171.5Kms

Stage 7:- Port des Savoir - Col de la Croix de Fer Saint Sorlin 148Kms.

Stage 8:- Le Pont de Claix - La Bastille, Grenoble 153Kms

Top competitors

VINGEGAARD Jonas
LAPORTE Christophe
YATES Adam
MAS Enric
GAUDU David
LANDA Mikel
GROENEWEGEN Dylan
JORGENSON Matteo
MADOUAS Valentin
CARAPAZ Richard
O'CONNER Ben
HINDLEY Jai
HAYER Ethan
RODRIGUEZ Carlos
MARTINEZ Daniel
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Thanks for starting the thread off.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,107
    edited June 2023
    Betting seems to think it's a one horse race:

Laporte not even listed..

[I am aware that betting does not reflect probability]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,225
    Gaudu at 25/1 seems like a good each way punt (not on that screen - I looked it up).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,422
    Cheers BS .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,227
    Mad_Malx said:

Um....isn't that exactly what betting does?

Anyway. Looking at the list of GC contenders isn't exactly filling me with hope for an amazing battle for the title. Hopefully they'll be some interesting individual stages at least.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    JimD666 said:

Mad_Malx said:

Um....isn't that exactly what betting does?

Anyway. Looking at the list of GC contenders isn't exactly filling me with hope for an amazing battle for the title. Hopefully they'll be some interesting individual stages at least.
    No, it reflects where gamblers are putting their money. Initial odds may be based on probability but after that it gets affected by various biases.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,002
    No covid withdrawals yet, or are they not testing? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    Hayter out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,407
    Ethan Hayter multiple crashes and out of the race it seems.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    Typical
  • mididoctors
    Has no luck ...ineos curse .
  • m.r.m.
    If it's the same riders crashing again and again, luck definitely plays a role, but positioning and bike handling probably play bigger roles.
  • mididoctors
    Tougher parcours on camera than that profile would suggest
  • RichN95.
    Booooooo
  • mididoctors
    LOL
  • mididoctors
    Less than 50 m
  • m.r.m.
    What a shame for Herregodts! 😢
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

If he hadn't repeatedly looked back he may have made it

• RichN95.
    Broken collarbone for Hayter. So no Tour.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,066

he looked dead though, he couldn't even get out of the saddle, just a slog. Must have been 10 meters from the line.

very wet race

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,145
    m.r.m. said:

If it's the same riders crashing again and again, luck definitely plays a role, but positioning and bike handling probably play bigger roles.

Yes. There's more to being a top cyclist than just a big engine.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    m.r.m. said:

Whilst that seems logical I do think some riders are just more unlucky than others (or are more high profile than others so their crashes get noticed more). Thomas is a prime example. There was the Giro crash where a bottle bounced out of a cage in the neutralised zone and it just happened to be his wheel it went under, this year he got wiped out by a rider inside him when he was riding in a perfect position and no-one could have avoided it, he got blown into a ditch by a gust of wind in GW (possibly poor handling as the rest of the group stayed upright but he was on the front so maybe took the gust from them) and got ran off the road by Barguil in 2016. Sure, there's been quite a few crashes due to his own errors but these add to that reputation that he 'always crashes' and then you focus more on that element.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379

m.r.m. said:

Poor bugger.

Laporte played the finish really well. Let himself go back to third wheel once the last JV rider had done his job at 400m to go, then swooped at the end.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,107
    Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Whilst that seems logical I do think some riders are just more unlucky than others (or are more high profile than others so their crashes get noticed more). Thomas is a prime example. There was the Giro crash where a bottle bounced out of a cage in the neutralised zone and it just happened to be his wheel it went under, this year he got wiped out by a rider inside him when he was riding in a perfect position and no-one could have avoided it, he got blown into a ditch by a gust of wind in GW (possibly poor handling as the rest of the group stayed upright but he was on the front so maybe took the gust from them) and got ran off the road by Barguil in 2016. Sure, there's been quite a few crashes due to his own errors but these add to that reputation that he 'always crashes' and then you focus more on that element.
    I was amazed that he wasn't badly hurt in this one, which wasn't his fault:

https://fb.watch/kZtig_BY0X/

[The one below came up first while looking for it, which wasn't his fault either
    https://youtu.be/V3-1GLwf9SU]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    I love how some people have decided that Hayter has poor handling skills based on two incidents that they actually haven't even seen. It's mad.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576
    andyp said:

I love how some people have decided that Hayter has poor handling skills based on two incidents that they actually haven't even seen. It's mad the internet.

FTFY. ;)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 328
    andyp said:

I love how some people have decided that Hayter has poor handling skills based on two incidents that they actually haven't even seen. It's mad.

He doesn't necessarily help the narrative by hanging at the back of the peloton when his team are right up at the front.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    I don't recall Steve Cummings being labelled a poor bike handler when he did the same.
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

he looked dead though, he couldn't even get out of the saddle, just a slog. Must have been 10 meters from the line.

very wet race

Yeah guess we will never know ...he did very well though

• mididoctors
    andyp said:

I don't recall Steve Cummings being labelled a poor bike handler when he did the same.

Canny rider Cummings