Giro 2023:- Stage 18: Oderzo – Val Di Zoldo 161 km, A Very Pointy at the End Stage. ***Spoilers***

1234568»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,483

Ben Healy finished in the bus today.
    I think it’s fair to say that he’s drained his tank.

Ooooor saving his legs for one final effort tomorrow
    Did wonder that if he’s fancying a go for the mountains jersey. He looked like he was struggling today though so would be quite a turnaround
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,483
    andyp said:

phreak said:

I can't help but think that Jumbo blew their tactics today.

Clearly they wanted to give the impression that all was not right with Roglic, but then they blew the bluff by coming to the front a day early, without putting in a worthwhile attack.
    Ineos are now forewarned about what to expect tomorrow: a much more concerted effort from a guy who isn't as off colour as he would want his adversaries to believe.

Given that the only glimpse of flat road over the final 183km of tomorrow's stage is around the lake at Misurina, it's quite possible that things will be shredded really early. Some domestiques will make it over the Campolongo and Valparola as they're not hard, but the Giau will shred the field to bits with 40km still to go. It's ripe for a long one if anyone fancies it.
    I dont think there will be many left going over the Giau. 4 or 5, maybe less.
    Can't see it myself. No-one wants to be isolated that far out.
    It may happen by accident. There are only 5 or 6 that seem to have the legs to keep going if the pace goes up on a big climb. It hasn’t taken much in the way of actual attacking for Thomas, Roglic, Almeida, Dunbar and Kuss to open a gap on the others.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    Just watched the last 45k - very entertaining end to the stage, have to be honest, I wasn't overly expecting Thomas to hang on in quite the way he did, with apparently no issues at all, very impressive.

Almeida must be disappointed with losing 2nd place.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    Yeah I'm thinking Ben Healey is done for this Giro tbh. Tomorrow is the 5 year anniversary (to the day) of Simon Yates on the Finestre and I think Ben has reached his physical limit
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    A lot of sticky bottles this giro ...turning a blind eye a lot in the wet first two weeks

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    Italy innit
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 232
    Pross said:

andyp said:

phreak said:

I can't help but think that Jumbo blew their tactics today.

Clearly they wanted to give the impression that all was not right with Roglic, but then they blew the bluff by coming to the front a day early, without putting in a worthwhile attack.
    Ineos are now forewarned about what to expect tomorrow: a much more concerted effort from a guy who isn't as off colour as he would want his adversaries to believe.

Given that the only glimpse of flat road over the final 183km of tomorrow's stage is around the lake at Misurina, it's quite possible that things will be shredded really early. Some domestiques will make it over the Campolongo and Valparola as they're not hard, but the Giau will shred the field to bits with 40km still to go. It's ripe for a long one if anyone fancies it.
    I dont think there will be many left going over the Giau. 4 or 5, maybe less.
    Can't see it myself. No-one wants to be isolated that far out.
    It may happen by accident. There are only 5 or 6 that seem to have the legs to keep going if the pace goes up on a big climb. It hasn’t taken much in the way of actual attacking for Thomas, Roglic, Almeida, Dunbar and Kuss to open a gap on the others.
    That was exactly my thinking. Giau is very hard and the early selection will happen rather than be by design.