Giro 2023:- Stage 18: Oderzo – Val Di Zoldo 161 km, A Very Pointy at the End Stage. ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    Almeida was a bit disappointing.... He suffered in the heat?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    How steep is the TT climb?
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 232
    mrb123 said:

Very.

• stage_hunter
    mrb123 said:

It has 5km stretch at 15% average
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

It has 5km stretch at 15% average
    Ouch.
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

Stupid steep

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

Given Almeida had almost got back on to G and Rog he then lost a chunk of time in that last km
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    r0bh said:

Given Almeida had almost got back on to G and Rog he then lost a chunk of time in that last km
    Thomas and Roglic are hardly dare-devil descenders, and clearly vine was pushing it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I can't believe Kamna is still 6th on GC. Has anyone actually seen him on the tv coverage?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

r0bh said:

Thomas and Roglic are hardly dare-devil descenders, and clearly vine was pushing it.
    I'm talking about the final climb in the last km or so
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    I can't help but think that Jumbo blew their tactics today.

Clearly they wanted to give the impression that all was not right with Roglic, but then they blew the bluff by coming to the front a day early, without putting in a worthwhile attack.
    Ineos are now forewarned about what to expect tomorrow: a much more concerted effort from a guy who isn't as off colour as he would want his adversaries to believe.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

Clearly they wanted to give the impression that all was not right with Roglic, but then they blew the bluff by coming to the front a day early, without putting in a worthwhile attack.
    Ineos are now forewarned about what to expect tomorrow: a much more concerted effort from a guy who isn't as off colour as he would want his adversaries to believe.

Given that the only glimpse of flat road over the final 183km of tomorrow's stage is around the lake at Misurina, it's quite possible that things will be shredded really early. Some domestiques will make it over the Campolongo and Valparola as they're not hard, but the Giau will shred the field to bits with 40km still to go. It's ripe for a long one if anyone fancies it.
  • mrb123
    phreak said:

Given that the only glimpse of flat road over the final 183km of tomorrow's stage is around the lake at Misurina, it's quite possible that things will be shredded really early. Some domestiques will make it over the Campolongo and Valparola as they're not hard, but the Giau will shred the field to bits with 40km still to go. It's ripe for a long one if anyone fancies it.
    Pretty hard to think of anyone who might do though.

• rick_chasey

Tbh I don’t think Roglic has it in him to dislodge Thomas regardless of tactics.

Might different in the TT though I doubt it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    What's happening with the results? 2 hours after the stage finished and we've only got the top 40 or so
  • takethehighroad
    phreak said:

It's ripe for a long one if anyone fancies it.
    Think this is wishful thinking tbh. Given that Rog and G are waiting for the time trial (save for Rog maybe sprinting for bonuses) and Almeida is so risk averse, I can see it just being a grinding down of helpers.

I hope I'm wrong, though
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    I’m still not convinced Roglic was bluffing early on. I reckon he was struggling then when he felt a bit better later on decided to try to dictate things.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

phreak said:

It's ripe for a long one if anyone fancies it.
    Think this is wishful thinking tbh. Given that Rog and G are waiting for the time trial (save for Rog maybe sprinting for bonuses) and Almeida is so risk averse, I can see it just being a grinding down of helpers.

I hope I'm wrong, though
    What was that stage in the Vuelta where he and Bernal went from way out?
  • takethehighroad
    Off the top of my head Lagos De Covadonga, but that was Bernal attacking and Rog following him
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Pross said:

I’m still not convinced Roglic was bluffing early on. I reckon he was struggling then when he felt a bit better later on decided to try to dictate things.

This. His atttack was pretty weak really, Thomas covered it easily and he didn't try to get away again. He was trying the old attack-so-they-dont-attack-you and managed to find Almeida was having a les than brilliant day
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Someone needs to explain to Pinot that it's the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

I doubt as a Portuguese he would suffer much in the heat, while it really wasn't hot either, at most 25 deg in the long valley, about 16 deg at the finish.
    After the stage, his DS (Gianetti!) said that Almeida wasn't feeling that good in the morning, without giving details.
    His climbing style (what some here call 'diesel') also didn't suit the next-to-last climb with its alternating gradients.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    hypster said:

Someone needs to explain to Pinot that it's the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Mate, he's 32 years old and in his 14th pro season, if he's not learned how to race a bike yet he's not going to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Ben Healy finished in the bus today.
    I think it’s fair to say that he’s drained his tank.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Roglic wasn't really knock blow move level and didn't look like he could have sustained it for much longer . ... ... Roglic Vs Bernal scenario where roglic and bernal ended up Mano a Mano
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    andyp said:

I can't believe Kamna is still 6th on GC. Has anyone actually seen him on the tv coverage?

I don't know what UK TV coverage shows or comments upon, but in his new GC role, Kämna seems to be a bit Zubeldia-like, he is always there or not far away, thus why only 1 min behind Roglic and Thomas today.
    In a way, a pity because his past style could be quite exciting (e.g. his win in the Tour 2020), but his DS said before the Giro started, that he would be more conservative in his new role.
    I wonder how much this change has had to do with the personal crisis he seemed to go through about 2 years ago, it lasting about 6 months. I didn't see any of this year's Tirreno-Adriatico or Tour of the Alps to see how he may have already altered by then.

Today he lost contact on the next-to-last climb when Roglic attacked. Kämna afterwards said partly because of the fluctuating gradients of that climb, he prefering a more constant slope.
    But he said he never worried because he'd looked at today's stage a couple of weeks after the Tour of the Alps in April, so he knew of the descent, where he could recover a little (and where today he also overtook Leknessund, the two quite close on the GC), while on the final climb, he said, he actually closed the gap to Roglic/Thomas by a few seconds (I don't know how true that is).
  • rick_chasey

Ooooor saving his legs for one final effort tomorrow
  • stage_hunter
    phreak said:

I dont think there will be many left going over the Giau. 4 or 5, maybe less.
  • mididoctors

Ooooor saving his legs for one final effort tomorrow
    I think he is gone as far as that bobbing head attack style will take him

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114

phreak said:

I dont think there will be many left going over the Giau. 4 or 5, maybe less.
    Can't see it myself. No-one wants to be isolated that far out.