Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 13: Borgofranco d’Ivrea - Crans Montana, 75 km not so serious **SPOILERS**

123457»

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,729
    There seems to have been disappointment at every turn in this Giro so far sadly.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,422

Felt a bit for Pinot but it'd be interesting to know how much of that was sandbagging from Rubio - I admit he had me fooled.

I think the other two punched each other out rather than Rubio has some master plan

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

There seems to have been disappointment at every turn in this Giro so far sadly.

It's not the Greatest edition...

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,407
    This stage exemplifies why Pinot's career ultimately remains a disappointment.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 280

mrb123 said:

No. I suspect they are all thinking that there is no point burning matches now for a handful of seconds when everything will hang on the final TT where riders could easily lose two minutes.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,614
    edited May 2023
    Once upon a customs union, this stage would have literally gone past my front door.

I used to skin up Crox de Couer on work days and spent a warm wet spring hobbling up it to rehab my ACL...

#FuckBrexit
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,938
    The queen stage is definitely the Giau and Tre Cime stage. Every climb is Giro royalty.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453

mrb123 said:

I bet some contrarian will still argue at the end of the season that it was the best GT even if it continues like this until the end.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914
    It needs a good final week to be average.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    This slow burn is inevitable, I think, as long as RCS insist on having a final week that contains the majority of the mountain stages. The backloading of the route means all the GC contenders know they have to manage their efforts carefully, otherwise they'll be out of energy when they need it most.

The 2018 Giro looms large still in the memories of those going for the win.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,814
    andyp said:

This slow burn is inevitable, I think, as long as RCS insist on having a final week that contains the majority of the mountain stages. The backloading of the route means all the GC contenders know they have to manage their efforts carefully, otherwise they'll be out of energy when they need it most.

Quite hard not to back load it given the time of year and Italian geography.

More TT kms and sharper shorter finishes would spice and shake GC out sooner.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313

andyp said:

Equally, given Italian geography, you can pretty much throw in a mountain stage any day you like. It still surprises me that they don't have more shorter, hill top finishes, given pretty much every town and village in Italy is sat on top of a hill.
  • mididoctors
    One miserable looking peloton
  • rick_chasey
    andyp said:

andyp said:

Equally, given Italian geography, you can pretty much throw in a mountain stage any day you like. It still surprises me that they don't have more shorter, hill top finishes, given pretty much every town and village in Italy is sat on top of a hill.
    Mid 00s routes
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

I bet some contrarian will still argue at the end of the season that it was the best GT even if it continues like this until the end.
    I do hope so .
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    I thought Ganna had covid
    .... Wrong thread
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Deleted
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Deleted
  • rick_chasey
    Watched this.

What was the Pinot logic? Baffled
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,578
    edited May 2023

Watched this.

Edit:- Wrong stage.
    Simply poor tactics.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Can’t really say it was a tactic can you?

That last 3km. It was the opposite of tactics
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,578

Can’t really say it was a tactic can you?

That last 3km. It was the opposite of tactics

Okay, I understated it.
    Fucking piss poor tactics.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,239

Watched this.

Peanut has done his own head in. He's lost his nut

It started all the way back on the first climb, when he attacked as they were too slow, and the rest of the break eventually caught him and called him an idiot. He spent the rest of the stage bickering with the others. He was looking for time, not just the stage, and they used that against him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    He seemed desperate to make sure Cepeda didn't beat him.