Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 13: Borgofranco d’Ivrea - Crans Montana, 75 km not so serious **SPOILERS**

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,860
edited May 2023 in Pro race

Well now

Shortened but still nothing to laugh about

Beast of a climb

Lot of ways this could go . If the GC guys are still together in the final few k that 11 percenter mayve where to hit out

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I am glad you started this as I have had a few technical difficulties today.

Lets see if these images are a bit clearer.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Well don't stop now BS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2023
    Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Borgofranco d’Ivrea (Piedmont), small agricultural village, built towards the end of 1200.
    The territory has maintained over time the cultivation of local agricultural products passing down over time the gastronomic specialties ( poor dishes of the peasant cuisine): salami, lard, mocetta, cheese aged in the Balmetti , good wine and typical desserts (canestrelli), the latter consumed by the English Crown.

Crans Montana

An extraordinary valley, nestled in the heart of the Alps, with 300 days of sunshine a year. From the valley to the glaciers via impressive vineyards, its landscapes offer an ideal setting for outdoor activities, be it hiking, cycling, mountain biking or skiing.
    Quality local produce, numerous foodie events, passionate craftspeople and chefs illustrate the wealth of gastronomy in the region. Moreover, it is a great joy for Crans-Montana to include amongst its numerous restaurants, two Michelin-starred establishments, Franck Reynaud‘s l’Ours, and LeMontBlanc from LeCrans Hôtel & Spa.
    Dishes should naturally be savoured with a fine Valais wine.

And if you’re missing raclette or other Valais specialities, there are plenty of mountain huts and restaurants which will be delighted to welcome you for a traditional mountain dish.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    The Col de la Croix de Coeur didn't used to be asphalted, it had a fine gravel surface like the Umbrail Pass (if that is still as it was a decade ago). On the south side the asphalt stopped at 1950 m until 2017, and on the north side, except for a few odd patches of asphalt, at about 1750 m until 2020.

The descent on the north side is pretty technical, with about 22-23 switchbacks, several of them pretty sharp, and 2-3 narrow tunnels or galleries. Unless it has since been widened, the first part from the summit, down to about 1650 m, is also pretty narrow.

Not perhaps for Almeida.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    How much elevation has the route change taken out? I know it hasn’t lost much distance but I assume it lost a lot of climbing despite still looking pretty brutal.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

How much elevation has the route change taken out? I know it hasn’t lost much distance but I assume it lost a lot of climbing despite still looking pretty brutal.

At least 350m of climbing I think
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    It was due to go up to 2472m, over 34.3km. So lost almost 600m.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,077
    On my way to Crans Montana now. Can’t decide between waiting at the finish line or on on one of the upper switchbacks.

Weather is very grey and cold, with potential for snow/sleet on the Croix de Cœur and <5 degrees at the finish.

I’ll try and post some crowd pics later.
  • blazing_saddles
    Riders have petitioned to get the Croix de Cœur removed, although the weather is currently okay and the road surface dry.
    Meanwhile, a disastrous start for No_Ta_Doctor, as Mads Pedersen DNS.
  • mididoctors

It was due to go up to 2472m, over 34.3km. So lost almost 600m.

That's a lot
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    Why is Mads a DNS? He was going for ciclamino points yesterday
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    The second climb looks an absolutely glorious beast - "it is really two distinct climbs divided by the ski resort of Verbier. The first 8km to Verbier is gentler at 7-8% on wide, smooth roads. The second section is steeper, with long segments at 10%, and the narrower road is much more rugged."

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/switzerland-croix-de-coeur-cycling
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112

Why is Mads a DNS? He was going for ciclamino points yesterday

• blazing_saddles
    Stage about to be butchered.
    Everything out but for the final climb after a flat run in.
    Won't start until after lunch is my guess.
    Think I will catch up with races I have missed.
  • mididoctors
    Looks like the stage is going to be drastically cut down
  • mididoctors
    Last climb only ?
  • mididoctors
    The vuelta and giro should swap dates
  • mididoctors
    Two climbs they are saying ?
  • mididoctors
    Utter confusion
  • blazing_saddles
    Enrico Gasparotto has just said they will start at the foot of the Croix de Couer.... :o
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Remco must be gutted. This route suits him more and more
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    This race is cursed :'(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Did the 2020 Oct giro have any stages shortened ?
  • blazing_saddles
    I make it about 70kms instead of 200.
  • rick_chasey
    Thomas must be licking his lips.

Basically can sit in the wheels to warm up and then smash out a TT up the final climb.
  • mididoctors

New profile ?
  • rick_chasey
    I thought they took the croix out?
  • mididoctors
    The weather is too unpredictable for the giro in this part of the year . It's just cancelled stage after cancelled stage .
  • mididoctors

I thought they took the croix out?

So did everyone else ... Gasperotto says no
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    PCS