Paris - Roubaix 2023 **spoiler thread**

1111213141517»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yeah, it’s not something I can be bothered to get onboard with. Even on my MTB I puncture so rarely it’s not worth the faff.

That said, since covid I hardly ride outside at all.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I was absolutely skeptical but when I got my new wheels I wanted to put something nice on them so I got GP5000TRs in 28mms - and they are absolutely amazing, particularly at low PSIs (I run at 55). Really fast, plush ride, & never seem to run out of grip even in the wet. I've got tubed GP5000s in another set of wheels and they are very good tyres indeed - but the TRs just take every aspect up a notch.

I think issues around punctures are overstated. As Prawny says, they aren't that common in normal riding tubed or tubeless. All tubeless does is make a subset of those punctures much easier to deal with because they will self seal or can fix with a worm; and a subset of punctures really messy and annoying to deal with because you've got sealant all over your hands whilst you were putting in the tube you would have put in anyway. But if you only puncture a couple of times a year, the risk of that is not worth stressing over.

That said if you are still on tubed tyres, can totally recommend RideNow TPU inner tubes. Superlight, reduce rolling resistance without the daily pumping latex require, supposedly harder to puncture & packing size is tiny for taking spares. I was able to get4 for £25 from Aliexpress. As a way of shedding a couple of hundred grams off your bike and packing your spares a bit tighter, that's pretty decent value.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Fred Wright really looks like he's using tubs anyway...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Credit - Jered Gruber

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    And that is why I don’t understand riders not wearing gloves. That’s days or weeks of discomfort on the bike just to get hero status with Rick.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Referring back to the Watts Occurring episode again, Luke Rowe claimed a liner in a tubeless cost 2-3 watts hence some riders / teams not using. Whereas he was all in for the safety aspect.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168
    2-3 watts, is that all? FFS what a bunch of idiots......will make next to no difference at all.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    Yep, just make a liner compulsory for safety reasons. If they all have to it's a level playing field anyway
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    andytee87 said:

Yep, just make a liner compulsory for safety reasons. If they all have to it's a level playing field anyway

Reasonable suggestion
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,563

andytee87 said:

Reasonable suggestion
    Or stick to the safe tyres they've always used.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

andytee87 said:

Reasonable suggestion
    Ambrosia 32 hole tubs wasn't it for Roubaix?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2023

gsk82 said:

andytee87 said:

Reasonable suggestion
    Mmmmm. Ambrosia whole tubs. 32 is excessive though.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

andytee87 said:

Reasonable suggestion
    Mmmmm. Ambrosia whole tubs. 32 is excessive though.

Cest le lol 😆

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    Since when did Ambrosia become ice cream rather than rice pudding?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Or custard
  • ddraver
    bleddy welsh...
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    Pross said:

And that is why I don’t understand riders not wearing gloves. That’s days or weeks of discomfort on the bike just to get hero status with Rick.

I think that is Sam Watson. He was wearing gloves, but the friction from the gloves caused blisters and he had to take the gloves off.

As always, there is a back story to the picture.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Since when did Ambrosia become ice cream rather than rice pudding?

Pross said:

Or custard

You guys have been left behind ....

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376
    andyp said:

Pross said:

I think that is Sam Watson. He was wearing gloves, but the friction from the gloves caused blisters and he had to take the gloves off.

As always, there is a back story to the picture.
    The man without gloves won. One of the men (or teenagers) with gloves blistered his hands really badly.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    A week after, or indeed 8 days, but just watched the episode of The Move podcast with Alison Jackson, winner Femmes, it's really open, honest and entertaining. Is on UTub for the video version.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    I hope Dee Snider has seen that...
    - @ddraver