Paris - Roubaix 2023 **spoiler thread**

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    ddraver said:

Why was there a big poster of Johnny Hallyday in the last proper sector?

(I still never got an answer to my Taylor Swift question...)
    That's baffling - the only thing the internet offers is the feud between her and Kanye in 2016 resulting in this tribute from Kanye fans:

The Johnny Hallyday poster was an official thing in the legends sector. Seems a bit random.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776

Well is knowing your body over longer distances when to feed etc part of building that tank ?

There's also knowing where it might even be feasible to get food and drink. Flanders and P-R aren't optimal for going back to the team car....
    True enough ... experience counts for a lot
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Well is knowing your body over longer distances when to feed etc part of building that tank ?

There's also knowing where it might even be feasible to get food and drink. Flanders and P-R aren't optimal for going back to the team car....
    That also goes for those around him on the road and in the team car. I think it has been a bit limited on the road at times this season, only Rowe had significant experience at RVV and Rowe plus Wurf at PR. Stannard as DS obviously has a lot of experience racing and winning on the cobbles but is pretty new to the DS role.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    Question is also if Pidcock rides at a higher percentage of his threshold compared to the others in the big races, which would logically deplete him quicker than the others in relative terms.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,510
    I remember a couple of years back when it was noted that he wasn't really managing his efforts very well, a little too eager maybe, or not too bothered about being out of position and having to close gaps. I think he may even have said it himself about his cross racing.

But honestly, he's done OK at MSR, it's literally only Flanders, LBL and Gent-Wevelgem where he might have an issue and it's not like he's got a high sample size of starts there. We can see what he looks like at LBL.
    Oh and he got 6th at the Worlds in Flanders, which was close to 270km
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

That also goes for those around him on the road and in the team car. I think it has been a bit limited on the road at times this season, only Rowe had significant experience at RVV and Rowe plus Wurf at PR. Stannard as DS obviously has a lot of experience racing and winning on the cobbles but is pretty new to the DS role.
    Hammond is pretty experienced
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432

Pross said:

Was about to make exactly the same point.
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    andyp said:

Pross said:

Was about to make exactly the same point.
    Podium with backsted in 2004? at PR
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Pross said:

Was he on the races? I looked on PCS and they only had Stannard listed on both with Zak Dempster at PR, appreciate Hammond isn't a DS anymore and there'll be plenty of other technical staff around but don't fully understand what his role is. Possibly missing Knaven?
  • andyp
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Was he on the races? I looked on PCS and they only had Stannard listed on both with Zak Dempster at PR, appreciate Hammond isn't a DS anymore and there'll be plenty of other technical staff around but don't fully understand what his role is. Possibly missing Knaven?
    He was driving the car that gave Ganna a bottle with about 22 kms to go.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    edited April 2023
    Interesting thought I had while listening to TCP Recap of the race, that's the first time I can think of where MvdP has used (or at least, not totally ignored) his team. Phillipsen was instrumental in the second half of the race but even before then he was cosseted by Vermeersch (?) all they way to Arenberg. An interesting change for a lone wolf like him...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MVDP with a decent team behind him is like Thanos with an infinity gauntlet
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Not sure? he was in the recon video .... Hard to not take a guy who top 10'd the PR 3 times
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Well spotted
  • andyp said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Well spotted
    They mentioned it on commentary tbf
  • m.r.m.
    ddraver said:

Interesting thought I had while listening to TCP Recap of the race, that's the first time I can think of where MvdP has used (or at least, not totally ignored) his team. Phillipsen was instrumental in the second half of the race but even before then he was cosseted by Vermeersch (?) all they way to Arenberg. An interesting change for a lone wolf like him...

Was wondering this exactly in the RVV thread:
    m.r.m. said:

Has MvdP ever used teammates to set up a win?

Best I can think of was MSR this year and that wasn't much. WVA closed did more for him closing the gap to Ganna, than Kragh Andersen did on the Poggio.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2023

MVDP with a decent team behind him is like Thanos with an infinity gauntlet

Sometimes not having a team while other favourites do can allow a rider to hide a bit as long as you have skills to keep position. Sagan won three consecutive Worlds with just his brother and a bloke from the local bike shop.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    edited April 2023
    Only he never really hides, but rather attacks from 60k out and drops his own teammates mostly.

Your point is well taken though. WVA hid exceptionally well after Laporte flatted and was quite fresh compared to the amount of work MvdP did while still having 2 teammates in that group.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    edited April 2023
    RichN95. said:

Sometimes not having a team while other favourites do can allow a rider to hide a bit as long as you have skills to keep position. Sagan won three consecutive Worlds with just his brother and a bloke from the local bike shop.
    Worlds are a funny race though and by the time he won Flanders and PR he won they had built a pretty decent team around him.

At the worlds you don’t always need your lads to chase down the echelon 70km in - races quite differently
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Luke Rowe and GT discuss how P-R went in latest episode of Watts Occurring, now in the GTCC feed, inc how Tarling took him out early on.

But how does tubeless work in pro road racing? Rowe goes on about liners and lack of liners meaning instant flat and consequences. Do they not use sealant?
  • andyp
    orraloon said:

Luke Rowe and GT discuss how P-R went in latest episode of Watts Occurring, now in the GTCC feed, inc how Tarling took him out early on.

But how does tubeless work in pro road racing? Rowe goes on about liners and lack of liners meaning instant flat and consequences. Do they not use sealant?

They do, but sealant won't seal a tyre that's taken a massive hit on the edge of a cobblestone. In that situation you have a sudden loss of pressure that can, as we saw on Sunday, cause the tyre to come off the rim. Liners can help in that situation.
  • andyp
    It's probably worth adding that the use of liners in road tubeless is still relatively new. Like all tubeless innovations, they were first used in off road applications where tubeless works so much better because of the larger volume tyres and lower tyre pressures.
  • rick_chasey
    Because I am too tight to keep up with modern bike kit, my info is still stuck in the 2010s.

I always understood the primary advantage of tubs over clinchers for pros was that, in the event of a puncture, you could roll for longer and not have it come off your wheel within a few 100m.

Is this not the same argument here?

Is the shift to tubeless to do with the shape of the tyre as it sits on the wheel?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,371
    At the pro level I believe the argument for road tubeless is mostly around lower rolling resistance.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Tubeless tyres have significantly less rolling resistance than tubs, that's the major advantage.

Using sealant might help with some punctures and either self seal or delay air loss until you can change, but unlikely to be much use for a large whack on cobbles. That's where liners come in - with a liner the tyres can basically run flat.

As tubeless are basically clinchers there will be a risk of the tyre rolling off when flat. This can be exacerbated by the shape of rims - they tend to have a narrow groove in the middle to make initial fitting easier. Once you lose all pressure the bead can push into that groove and if that happens, there is much more slack elsewhere to roll off. Again, liners would prevent that happening.

However as mentioned above use of liners is relatively new for road, and outside of Paris Roubaix there is probably not that much call for them. They add weight and don't always play nicely with sealants, so trade offs unlikely to pay off elsewhere.
  • rick_chasey
    Can anyone explain why tubeless have lower rolling resistance vs tubs?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Something sciency to do with the friction between a tube and the tyre carcass.

I suspect that manufacturers are really getting on it because it’s easier to sell pro level equipment to the public than it is with tubs
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mididoctors

RichN95. said:

Worlds are a funny race though and by the time he won Flanders and PR he won they had built a pretty decent team around him.

At the worlds you don’t always need your lads to chase down the echelon 70km in - races quite differently
    World's was infamous for commercial team stitch ups of course ...not so much now though

• mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    prawny said:

Something sciency to do with the friction between a tube and the tyre carcass.

I suspect that manufacturers are really getting on it because it’s easier to sell pro level equipment to the public than it is with tubs

If you stick a liner in I doubt i's less internal resistancey anymore .

I am a bit skeptical of a lot of innovation claims. That said tubeless do seem faster .

Group rides waiting for the guy with sealent everywhere are not uncommon
  • rick_chasey
    It's been an annoying development from my side, as the new wheels which are tubeless ready now create a seal around the clincher so it's a nightmare to get on-and-off roadside to replace the inner.