Paris - Roubaix 2023 **spoiler thread**

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Ben Turner has shown promise but has had terrible luck this classics season, taken out in that ridiculous crash last weekend breaking his elbow again
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,119
    Managed to watch from just before Sector 20 to around 40km to go on my phone whilst having Sunday lunch in the pub and have just managed to catch up with the finish. Shame WVA punctured as it would have been a great finish. Gutting for Degenkolb.

There was a big power shift when Laporte punctured and then Philipsen and Vermeersch bridged to the lead group. Ganna looked strong and Swift did a great job helping him get up to the break but he needs to learn to position himself better and how to ride the cobbles as he was constantly having to close gaps.

Very good edition.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    andyp said:

m.r.m. said:

andyp said:

RichN95. said:

Cameron Wurf finished and then went for a run. He's 40 in a few months.

That is crazy
    Did he post a swim beforehand?

I thought I'd read that he'd given up on 1 day races as they don't offer the same block of training as a stage race does.
    That's his third one day race of the season. I think he only rode yesterday because of injuries to key Ineos riders. He's a great asset for the team, can slot in to pretty much any race when required at short notice.
    This is going to sound rather harsh, but their team consists of either young talents or garbage/has beens with very few exceptions like Kwiatkowski, Rowe, Bernal (Narvaez & Martinez if I'm being generous). They are insanely crash prone and while some of their squad is perfectly fine, it's pretty awful considering their budget.

I don't have anything against the team, in fact they are one of my favourite teams, but their rebuild after the Froome era is extremely lacklustre at best (again when taking budget into consideration as well). It started off well with Thomas and Bernal at the Tour 2018 & 2019, but has been disastrous since.

While I'm sure having someone like Wurf is nice to have, I honestly don't see how it isn't a waste considering their already bloated payroll.
    Don't think it's harsh at all. They have one of the, if not the, largest budgets in the world tour yet they haven't been able to recruit any of the current crop of star riders. They might argue they are building a team of promising youngsters, but with the possible exception of Pidcock, do any of them look like potential rivals to the likes of Pogacar or Van der Poel?
    Last year Sheffield and Turner looked promising, but neither has had a good classics season. With Bernal seeming unlikely to return as a serious challenger, the team is bereft of talent that can compete with the big guns.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

15 minutes quicker than my HM PB too. Jeez, that’s humiliating!
  • Pross
    andyp said:

m.r.m. said:

andyp said:

RichN95. said:

That is crazy

I thought I'd read that he'd given up on 1 day races as they don't offer the same block of training as a stage race does.
    That's his third one day race of the season. I think he only rode yesterday because of injuries to key Ineos riders. He's a great asset for the team, can slot in to pretty much any race when required at short notice.
    This is going to sound rather harsh, but their team consists of either young talents or garbage/has beens with very few exceptions like Kwiatkowski, Rowe, Bernal (Narvaez & Martinez if I'm being generous). They are insanely crash prone and while some of their squad is perfectly fine, it's pretty awful considering their budget.

I don't have anything against the team, in fact they are one of my favourite teams, but their rebuild after the Froome era is extremely lacklustre at best (again when taking budget into consideration as well). It started off well with Thomas and Bernal at the Tour 2018 & 2019, but has been disastrous since.

While I'm sure having someone like Wurf is nice to have, I honestly don't see how it isn't a waste considering their already bloated payroll.
    Don't think it's harsh at all. They have one of the, if not the, largest budgets in the world tour yet they haven't been able to recruit any of the current crop of star riders. They might argue they are building a team of promising youngsters, but with the possible exception of Pidcock, do any of them look like potential rivals to the likes of Pogacar or Van der Poel?
    Ganna had a decent ride. As others have said Sheffield and Turner look decent prospects. Hayter picked up a win last week. The team seems to be lacking direction though, in the Froome / Wiggins era there was no doubt what the target was although they still got some decent one day results. Pidcock’s crash hasn’t helped but they are definitely punching below their weight in terms of results though.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Kung has consistently been there 2 years running ... Complete diesel .hard to see him win a sprint or even have the acceleration to attack. Must be vexing

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    People's take on ineos being a tad 2nd rung seems about right. Lot of talent in there still ...and pidcock Is excellent (needs 40k added to his endurance)

They need a big win
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,157
    Pross said:

Managed to watch from just before Sector 20 to around 40km to go on my phone whilst having Sunday lunch in the pub and have just managed to catch up with the finish. Shame WVA punctured as it would have been a great finish. Gutting for Degenkolb.

There was a big power shift when Laporte punctured and then Philipsen and Vermeersch bridged to the lead group. Ganna looked strong and Swift did a great job helping him get up to the break but he needs to learn to position himself better and how to ride the cobbles as he was constantly having to close gaps.

Very good edition.

Without Wout's puncture it would have been excellent (regardless of who won)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Pross said:

andyp said:

m.r.m. said:

andyp said:

RichN95. said:

That is crazy

Ganna had a decent ride.

Interesting you day that because I'm not so sure that he did. Because he's a machine he was able to close gaps on the tarmac but he was the cause of all* of them opening on the cobbles.

His cobble riding was a long way off the others in the group. If he wants to win I think he needs a lot more practice on them**

*Look, I didn't count but if not all, it was nearly all of them

**with the caveat that if he rides it enough times he'll find himself alone at the front and then who else could keep up
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    6th place isn't decent? Tough crowd!
  • ddraver
    Yeah...but it's 6/6 innit...

Happy to watch him attempt to prove me wrong for many years ahead...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    It was a fascinating, gripping race, until all of a sudden it wasn't.
  • ddraver
    It was...

(and I must say I think some of your tactics posts were inspired!)
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019

People's take on ineos being a tad 2nd rung seems about right. Lot of talent in there still ...and pidcock Is excellent (needs 40k added to his endurance)

They need a big win

Ok playing devil's advocate a bit but for the sake of debate - does he lack that 40km or is it just that the best of the best are targeting those races that go that extra 40km ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Yeah...but it's 6/6 innit...

Happy to watch him attempt to prove me wrong for many years ahead...

The ride to close a huge gap to the break (towing Philipsen up with him) was very strong. He needs to learn how to ride the cobbles and to position himself better. It was only his second attempt and he lost Rowe quite early didn’t he?
  • kingstongraham
    Why was there a big poster of Johnny Hallyday in the last proper sector?
  • People's take on ineos being a tad 2nd rung seems about right. Lot of talent in there still ...and pidcock Is excellent (needs 40k added to his endurance)

They need a big win

Ok playing devil's advocate a bit but for the sake of debate - does he lack that 40km or is it just that the best of the best are targeting those races that go that extra 40km ?
    Based on 2021 world champs it's not the extra 40kms that is the issue more the Ronde specifically.

I assume he's riding Amstel which may provide some answers (2021 Amstel was shorter)
  • ddraver

(I still never got an answer to my Taylor Swift question...)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    ddraver said:

(I still never got an answer to my Taylor Swift question...)
    I think she has just split up with someone
  • Pross

They need a big win

Based on 2021 world champs it's not the extra 40kms that is the issue more the Ronde specifically.

I assume he's riding Amstel which may provide some answers (2021 Amstel was shorter)
    My immediate reaction to the extra 40km was 'but he was second at Amstel' (officially, I'll still never understand how they seperated them). I then looked it up and saw it was short. I'm not sure there's much to say he hasn't got the distance in him, this year he admitted he messed up and didn't eat enough.
  • kingstongraham
    He did pretty well in AGR last year.
  • Pross said:

They need a big win

My immediate reaction to the extra 40km was 'but he was second at Amstel' (officially, I'll still never understand how they seperated them). I then looked it up and saw it was short. I'm not sure there's much to say he hasn't got the distance in him, this year he admitted he messed up and didn't eat enough.
    Hmm...Odd how he blew up at exactly the same point (Koppenberg) as last time he did it properly (cant recall if 21 or 22). I genuinely think he doesnt have the size to compete at Flanders and Roubaix. I think it's more that than the longer distance- he did pretty well, and conceivably might have even won, MSR in 2021.

• mididoctors
    I think its a extra tank he needs ...he just doesn't ride long distances as much as the others ...it may be relatively easy thing to fix ..better feeding etc...which is a lack of experience at longer distances I would argue anyway...

He can perform fantastically in the finale of a tough race . Brabpill for instance ...technical courses he excells on as he saves a lot of effort compared to his rivals . Strade this year the chasers were hemorrhaging Glyco in comparison.

But when it comes to just pushing the gears that distance? Fades .

He got struck down by the ineos crash curse in his prep this year so it's not like the head room for gains has been exploited fully yet

He can be up there .
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    Pross said:

They need a big win

Isn't that just a function of lack of experience...ie not riding enough long distances no? Or is that reaching?

• r0bh
    Pidcock said that he had a hunger flat at Flanders

• mididoctors
    Well is knowing your body over longer distances when to feed etc part of building that tank ?
  • mididoctors
    Happened to MvdP at the world's Vs mads ..Christ the rain that week.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532

Happened to MvdP at the world's Vs mads ..Christ the rain that week.

Yeah you could see that roadside.

Was ripping it up every lap and then boom next time he went around you could see the energy was just out of him.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,529

Well is knowing your body over longer distances when to feed etc part of building that tank ?

There's also knowing where it might even be feasible to get food and drink. Flanders and P-R aren't optimal for going back to the team car....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

By the last proper sector, I presume you mean that at Hern.
    If not simply a poster held up by an eternal J-H fan, maybe the poster was advertising a Johnny-Hallyday concert, either thereabouts soon, or actually on this last Sunday, P-R day.

The latter is possible because there was a festival at Caudry this weekend which included a J-H concert on Sunday evening, the performer being Johnny Mirador, one of half-a-dozen J-H Tribute bands still touring in France.

Caudry is 50-60 km directly south of Hern, and only 2-3 km away from the very first sector, Troisvilles-Inchy, so to have seen a poster along that sector wouldn't have been unsurprising.