Paris - Roubaix 2023 **spoiler thread**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited April 2023
    Mads is a super canny rider
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2023
    The thing that never gets mentioned about the Van de Poel/Van Aert rivalry is Van der Poel wins most of the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

The thing that never gets mentioned about the Van de Poel/Van Aert rivalry is Van der Poel wins most of the time.

The big ones
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,529
    Wout had that without the puncture. Was he on the magic variable pressure tech?

In the main news, Philipsen can ride cobbles, and everyone else should crap themselves.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    I do hope Van der Poel and Phillipsen go bald though
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023
    The last person to make the time cut was Derek Gee whose wheel fell apart in the breakaway at Arenberg. One of the first to miss the time cut was Jack Tarling.

Quick-Step's best rider was 23rd.
  • Wout had that without the puncture. Was he on the magic variable pressure tech?

In the main news, Philipsen can ride cobbles, and everyone else should censored themselves.

Dont agree with this. VDP sucks his wheel citing Phillipsen behind. If Phillipsen gets back, he wins the sprint. If he doesnt, VDP takes van Aert in a sprint with Van Aert having led for the last 10km
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    RichN95. said:

He had the gap till the puncture. Not really the right race to make the point.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    seanoconn said:

Most attacking rider deserved the win. WVA only attacked when MVdP was caught up in a crash. Glad Philipsen won the sprint for second, brilliant ride from him.

Alpecin had the best cobbled classics rider in the race and the best sprinter in the race in that group, and you are moaning that wva only attacked when they crashed into each other? Caught up in a crash haha.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Of the nine monuments they have both contested, VdP has finished ahead of WVA seven times
  • kingstongraham
    Vdp never makes it to the last week of the tour though.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Of the nine monuments they have both contested, VdP has finished ahead of WVA seven times
    Yes you can repeat yourself and I can do the same.
  • Vdp never makes it to the last week of the tour though.

So what? The man has 4x Monuments to his name.
  • kingstongraham

Vdp never makes it to the last week of the tour though.

So what? The man has 4x Monuments to his name.
    The rivalry only extends to the races mvdp is good in. And in those, he beats wva more often than not.

In the races mvdp isn't good at, it's not even a rivalry.

They're both exceptional and we're blessed.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

The last person to make the time cut was Derek Gee whose wheel fell apart in the breakaway at Arenberg. One of the first to miss the time cut was Jack Tarling.

That wheel was a real advert for low pressure tubeless

Quick step where art thou
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    RichN95. said:

MvdP only did what anyone else would have and it's not like he hasn't animated things ... philipsen shouldn't come over Wout in the sprint though

Why not? Van Aert spent most of the race refusing to come to the front. Phillpsen did plenty of work earlier.
    Yeah but their man only won because of a flat and laporte and WvA .made the race before the arenburg
  • mididoctors
    Ok would WvA won if he hadn't flattened?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376

We will never know, but I think MvdP tends to have the better of WvA in sprints at the end of super long races.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

RichN95. said:

What wheels was he on? Hookless?
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

What wheels was he on? Hookless?
    I dunno Tyreless for sure
  • mididoctors

We will never know, but I think MvdP tends to have the better of WvA in sprints at the end of super long races.
    So no then
  • mididoctors
    I am going yes
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

Yes, he was playing it well until that bad timing flat.

(Not like I'm biased or that given my PTP pick 😊)
  • rick_chasey

Apart from two weeks ago.
  • Dorset_Boy

That was a classic, not a monument, so shorter.
    I also said 'tends', not always.
    Still perhaps you'd like to read what is actually written by others! B)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Who is the best is a bit neither here nor there. The thing is that the rest of the peloton are now basing their races on the pair of them and watch what they do.
    Like when Mads went up the road in the T of F.
    I’ m not sure whether this is a good thing or not.
  • rick_chasey

260km not long enough for ya?
  • mididoctors
  • Dorset_Boy

Do you not understand the meaning of 'tends'?
    Read what is written.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Do you not understand the meaning of 'tends'?
    Read what is written.
    It’s very clear Rick can write but whether he can read or believes it’s worth reading what other people write is debatable.