Paris - Roubaix 2023 **spoiler thread**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    One thing I have learnt is it's really important to take stupid arguments on the internet really seriously.

I mean it's such a new phenomenon that's only been around for a few DECADES . can't expect people to learn in such a short space of time .

I mean 20 years is only about a quarter of your entire life.

Maybe after wasting another 20 years and half of ones entire life we could learn to have fun with it.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ok would WvA won if he hadn't flattened?

We will never know, but I think MvdP tends to have the better of WvA in sprints at the end of super long races.
    Apart from two weeks ago.
    That was a classic, not a monument, so shorter.
    I also said 'tends', not always.
    Still perhaps you'd like to read what is actually written by others! B)
    260km not long enough for ya?
    E3 was 200km. Or you thinking of another race?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    Gent Wevelgem?
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, I maintain he rode a smarter race and put it all into that one effort and was gone had it not been for the puncture.
  • rick_chasey

Gent Wevelgem?

Or did MvdP not ride that?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Anyway, I maintain he rode a smarter race and put it all into that one effort and was gone had it not been for the puncture.

You can maintain all you like but we will never know.
  • rick_chasey
    Ugh webboo. Just leave me alone on here. ✌🏻 I’ll reciprocate.
  • webboo

Are you on crack. It’s an Internet forum.
  • mididoctors
    LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Gent Wevelgem?

He wasn't there
  • rick_chasey

Gent Wevelgem?

He wasn't there
    Ah fair enough my mistake.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023
    webboo said:

Are you on crack. It’s an Internet forum.
    webboo said:

It’s very clear Rick can write but whether he can read or believes it’s worth reading what other people write is debatable.

That. Stop it.
  • webboo

Gent Wevelgem?

He wasn't there
    Is that a first, Rick admitting to a mistake. If so I’m so proud 🥲 for you. 👏
  • Gent Wevelgem?

No.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453

Vdp never makes it to the last week of the tour though.

So what? The man has 4x Monuments to his name.
    The rivalry only extends to the races mvdp is good in. And in those, he beats wva more often than not.

In the races mvdp isn't good at, it's not even a rivalry.

They're both exceptional and we're blessed.
    To be fair, WVA didn't ride the Giro prior to the Tour. The year prior to that didn't MvdP only leave because of the Olympics?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    m.r.m. said:

Vdp never makes it to the last week of the tour though.

So what? The man has 4x Monuments to his name.
    The rivalry only extends to the races mvdp is good in. And in those, he beats wva more often than not.

In the races mvdp isn't good at, it's not even a rivalry.

They're both exceptional and we're blessed.
    To be fair, WVA didn't ride the Giro prior to the Tour. The year prior to that didn't MvdP only leave because of the Olympics?
    Mvdp didn't try in any bunch sprints in the giro either.
  • mididoctors
    What giro was that mvdp Vs girmay in?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    That was so close to disaster

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

What giro was that mvdp Vs girmay in?

Last year. Folllowed by Girmay v Prosecco
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    edited April 2023
    Jesus, the Jumbo dude that comes inside him...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    webboo said:

Gent Wevelgem?

He wasn't there
    Is that a first, Rick admitting to a mistake. If so I’m so proud 🥲 for you. 👏
    You're being a bit of a silly billy here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    I wonder if WVA regrets gifting Gent-Wevelgem?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    That must have stung a bit.

Having just caught up with watching it's a shame about the puncture - it wasn't clear whether MVDP would have closed irrespective of the puncture but Wout did look super strong.

When the dust settles MvdP is well on his way to becoming a all time great classics rider and Wout isn't.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023
    Cameron Wurf finished and then went for a run. He's 40 in a few months.

• RichN95.
    All three Monuments this season have been won by the rider wearing number 21. At LBL it should be a Jumbo rider wearing it.
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023

That must have stung a bit.

Having just caught up with watching it's a shame about the puncture - it wasn't clear whether MVDP would have closed irrespective of the puncture but Wout did look super strong.

When the dust settles MvdP is well on his way to becoming a all time great classics rider and Wout isn't.

They will say MvdP was only that great because WvA was his rival

I will stand by that

• RichN95.
    edited April 2023

They will say MvdP was only that great because WvA was his rival

I will stand by that

I don't think so. His results will speak for themselves. Will they say that if WVA never wins another monument?
    I think Pogacar is more a rival. However, WVA may be elevated by being put alongside MVDP as they both come from cross. In much the same way as Roglic is lumped in with Pogacar as they are both Slovenian
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    Why does MvdP ride for the Netherlands btw? Given he has French and Dutch parentage and was born and raised in Belgium (I think) clearly he had a choice - has he ever explained why he made the choice he did.

Just wondered if it's as simple as he feels Dutch or whether there was a calculation made that he had more opportunities as a Dutch rider than a Belgian.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023

Why does MvdP ride for the Netherlands btw? Given he has French and Dutch parentage and was born and raised in Belgium (I think) clearly he had a choice - has he ever explained why he made the choice he did.

Just wondered if it's as simple as he feels Dutch or whether there was a calculation made that he had more opportunities as a Dutch rider than a Belgian.

He knows that Van Aert wouldn't be a loyal domestique at the Worlds.

Seriously, I guess it's because his dad rode for the Netherlands. See Sivakov, the (former) Russian who has never lived in Russia.