Paris - Roubaix 2023 **spoiler thread**

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532

Why does MvdP ride for the Netherlands btw? Given he has French and Dutch parentage and was born and raised in Belgium (I think) clearly he had a choice - has he ever explained why he made the choice he did.

Just wondered if it's as simple as he feels Dutch or whether there was a calculation made that he had more opportunities as a Dutch rider than a Belgian.

Fwiw he sounds Dutch (albeit from the south)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,441

Honestly, Degenkolb’s career was absolutely wrecked by some idiot Brit driving the wrong side of the road in Mallorca and he’s never been the same rider since.

To see him back at the sharp end of things in a flat moment was really great.

It was near Calpe on the mainland, not Mallorca.

Otherwise, I agree.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Highest place finish for Quick Step was Merlier in 23rd.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    RichN95. said:

Cameron Wurf finished and then went for a run. He's 40 in a few months.

That is crazy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

RichN95. said:

That is crazy
    Did he post a swim beforehand?

I thought I'd read that he'd given up on 1 day races as they don't offer the same block of training as a stage race does.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • andyp

RichN95. said:

That is crazy

I thought I'd read that he'd given up on 1 day races as they don't offer the same block of training as a stage race does.
    That's his third one day race of the season. I think he only rode yesterday because of injuries to key Ineos riders. He's a great asset for the team, can slot in to pretty much any race when required at short notice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    I’m totally ignorant of triathlon but if he can knock out a run like that did he try hard enough?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568

I’m totally ignorant of triathlon but if he can knock out a run like that did he try hard enough?

He probably had a 150km recovery ride after doing his work, like most the other riders.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    gsk82 said:

He probably had a 150km recovery ride after doing his work, like most the other riders.
    Pretty much what happened

Though we should note the big bunch that came in 5 mins down were faster than last year's winner
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95. said:

All three Monuments this season have been won by the rider wearing number 21. At LBL it should be a Jumbo rider wearing it.

They'd probably still find a way to not win it.
  • mididoctors
    Rolling a tub was semi seriously a finable offense back in the day
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2023
    gsk82 said:
    Stan dewulfs wheel shed it's tyre as well

Teams should get fined for having this happen... Wheel and tyre unfit for purpose. low pressures out of spec for the wheel tyre combo may be an issue or some tubeless systems are just 5h1t

Unacceptable
  • andyp

gsk82 said:

Teams should get fined for having this happen... Wheel and tyre unfit for purpose. low pressures out of spec for the wheel tyre combo may be an issue or some tubeless systems are just 5h1t

Unacceptable
    Equipment failures in Paris-Roubaix are as much a tradition of the race as the cobbles. Fining teams for that is a ridiculous suggestion.
  • andyp
    We should fine Trek retrospectively for this:

• mididoctors
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

Unacceptable
    Equipment failures in Paris-Roubaix are as much a tradition of the race as the cobbles. Fining teams for that is a ridiculous suggestion.
    Used to happen
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    What came first, the puncture or the tub rolling off?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Not sure what happens now but back in the day Wheels had to be inspected before the race and if you had poorly glued tub they would throw you off the race or fine you sometimes if you rolled one
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Unacceptable

The road's not fit for purpose either. Maybe we should fine ASO as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Mechanical failures are part of PR but A front wheel failure is a major hazard to other riders on any parcours
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    I can't tell if the tyre coming off is cause or effect.

How safe are tubeless hitting a cobble edge at 50kmh ? I don't use them but I'd have thought a system that relies on a tight seal between rim and tyre might be vulnerable to a big hit, a cracked rim or a split tyre. For those that haven't ridden Arenberg however bad the TV pictures make it look for me when I visited I was still shocked at just how rough that "road" is.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    ddraver said:

What came first, the puncture or the tub rolling off?

A tub should/will stay on even if totally flat not advocating tubs only btw
  • mididoctors

I can't tell if the tyre coming off is cause or effect.

How safe are tubeless hitting a cobble edge at 50kmh ? I don't use them but I'd have thought a system that relies on a tight seal between rim and tyre might be vulnerable to a big hit, a cracked rim or a split tyre. For those that haven't ridden Arenberg however bad the TV pictures make it look for me when I visited I was still shocked at just how rough that "road" is.

Smart phone videos from the side of the road look.way faster than moving TV coverage too ... They are hooning it
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,169
    I think some teams are still learning about how to set up tubeless tyre systems. If a tyre blows off the rim, it's usually because it's at too high a pressure. Which sort of defeats the purpose of tubeless - wider tyres at lower pressures.

And an unpopular view, but punctures aren't always 'bad luck' as we keep hearing on commentary. Too low/high pressures, poor tyre choice and even poor line choice can result in punctures. When the same team has numerous punctures, I'd suggest it's more a set up problem than just bad luck.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453
    andyp said:

RichN95. said:

That is crazy

That's his third one day race of the season. I think he only rode yesterday because of injuries to key Ineos riders. He's a great asset for the team, can slot in to pretty much any race when required at short notice.
    This is going to sound rather harsh, but their team consists of either young talents or garbage/has beens with very few exceptions like Kwiatkowski, Rowe, Bernal (Narvaez & Martinez if I'm being generous). They are insanely crash prone and while some of their squad is perfectly fine, it's pretty awful considering their budget.

I don't have anything against the team, in fact they are one of my favourite teams, but their rebuild after the Froome era is extremely lacklustre at best (again when taking budget into consideration as well). It started off well with Thomas and Bernal at the Tour 2018 & 2019, but has been disastrous since.

While I'm sure having someone like Wurf is nice to have, I honestly don't see how it isn't a waste considering their already bloated payroll.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    Lionel Birnie / Daniel Friebe posited on the P-R Arrivé episode that Alpecin and JV were using the same Vittoria tyres. Which may or may not be accurate. But if it was, the ratio of flats between the 2 teams would imply summat not right at the JV end.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    m.r.m. said:

While I'm sure having someone like Wurf is nice to have, I honestly don't see how it isn't a waste considering their already bloated payroll.

Riders like Wurf are pretty useful (and cheap). They can drop in to any race at a moment's notice and do a solid job. They're experienced, low maintenance and good for team morale. He was initially brought in to train with Froome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453
    I also forgot to mention Pidcock who is exceptional and probably not in the talent category anymore.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    m.r.m. said:

andyp said:

RichN95. said:

That is crazy

This is going to sound rather harsh, but their team consists of either young talents or garbage/has beens with very few exceptions like Kwiatkowski, Rowe, Bernal (Narvaez & Martinez if I'm being generous). They are insanely crash prone and while some of their squad is perfectly fine, it's pretty awful considering their budget.

I don't have anything against the team, in fact they are one of my favourite teams, but their rebuild after the Froome era is extremely lacklustre at best (again when taking budget into consideration as well). It started off well with Thomas and Bernal at the Tour 2018 & 2019, but has been disastrous since.

Don't think it's harsh at all. They have one of the, if not the, largest budgets in the world tour yet they haven't been able to recruit any of the current crop of star riders. They might argue they are building a team of promising youngsters, but with the possible exception of Pidcock, do any of them look like potential rivals to the likes of Pogacar or Van der Poel?