Cycling goals for 2023

1235»

Comments

• If anyone wants something a bit more challenging, this zwift workout that Matt Hayman used when he was training for PR with a broken arm is worth a go.

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/60-90-minutes-to-burn/mat-hayman-paris-roubaix

Be warned, it looks okay on paper but it is absolutely brutal, the cumulative effect kicks in after about 45mins and slowly kills your legs!
  • Thought I would quickly come back to this.

For no specific reason I seem to have added more volume this year (when I was planning on reducing). From March - July I got into the habit of doing 400km+ each week, mainly long zone 2 stuff and the odd turbo session (some recovery and some intervals).

By mid July I was getting knackered and not recovering in between rides, which I knew would eventually happen with the increased volume. The hill I usually sprint up that I mentioned previously is usually a solid 525-30 watts and I was struggling to hit 490.

Anyway, I had 2 much lighter weeks, both around 250-300 km, and just doodling around without much intensity.

Back to an increased volume this week and decided to do the hill sprint yesterday. I managed to hit 560 watts which is 30 watts better than I have ever achieved, and it came at the back end of a 4hr mid zone 2 ride.

I know overload and recovery is a well documented part of cycling training, but I have never really tried it for myself or seen tangible proof of it in terms of power increases. The good thing is this has now forced me into thinking more about proper easy week's in future, rather than getting caught up in the same volume/intensity week after week.