Prince Harry

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    Maybe Harry can be persuaded to go on strike? Then we can all just ignore him and let him get on with it?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    The book is being marketed hard: just had a notification from Costco app that available in store and online....
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 659
    It's his last chance to cash in really. Wife has stumped up her £14 contribution to his retirement fund. I might read it when she's finished with it. Be interesting to read in context some of the stuff being selectively quoted by the media.
  • Pross said:

Why would anyone buy the book when everything in it will get discussed at length in various media outlets?

It's half price! :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    Munsford0 said:

It's his last chance to cash in really. Wife has stumped up her £14 contribution to his retirement fund. I might read it when she's finished with it. Be interesting to read in context some of the stuff being selectively quoted by the media.

It's not over yet. I heard it was a 4-book deal!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Pross said:

Why would anyone buy the book when everything in it will get discussed at length in various media outlets?

It's half price! :D
    your point being?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    Maybe one for the irony thread? As reported in the press today:
    "There are countless other unforgettable revelations in Spare, some of them, of course, rather more momentous than the above. In my view, however, nothing can match the moment in chapter 42 when the Duke vents his fury at Paul Burrell, his mother’s former butler.

Advertisement
    Why? Because, the Duke fumes, the man had betrayed the Royal family by writing a “tell-all” book.

“It made my blood boil,” seethes the Duke. After all, they had “trusted him implicitly”. And anyway, the book “was merely one man’s self-justifying, self-centring version of events…”

Imagine that."
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479
    Stevo_666 said:

"There are countless other unforgettable revelations in Spare, some of them, of course, rather more momentous than the above. In my view, however, nothing can match the moment in chapter 42 when the Duke vents his fury at Paul Burrell, his mother’s former butler.

Advertisement
    Why? Because, the Duke fumes, the man had betrayed the Royal family by writing a “tell-all” book.

“It made my blood boil,” seethes the Duke. After all, they had “trusted him implicitly”. And anyway, the book “was merely one man’s self-justifying, self-centring version of events…”

Imagine that."

I'm not too fussed about the whole thing, but would I be right in thinking that that's the Telegraph pointing out the hypocrisy? They've certainly not spared their vitriol.

Anyway, seems like the book is selling like hot cakes... 1.4m on its first day, so I suspect H&M are happy enough.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    The only article (I promise) I've read is in the NYT and points out that the press would absolutely love all these "revelations" if they had discovered them. It would be a career making scoop.

The problem is that they've lost control of the narrative to H+M and part of me rather admires them for that. I find sympathy for tabloid gossip columnists in rather short supply tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Advertisement

Imagine that."

I'm not too fussed about the whole thing, but would I be right in thinking that that's the Telegraph pointing out the hypocrisy? They've certainly not spared their vitriol.

Anyway, seems like the book is selling like hot cakes... 1.4m on its first day, so I suspect H&M are happy enough.
    I thought it was quite amusing regardless of where it was reported.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Advertisement

Imagine that."

It is, as is the tabloids' massive hypocrisy too (e.g on reporting the killing in war of enemy troops), though somehow they (nor the DT) report that, weirdly. The DT has definitely been looking for every angle they can find to trash Harry - a very obvious campaign.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Advertisement

Imagine that."

It is, as is the tabloids' massive hypocrisy too (e.g on reporting the killing in war of enemy troops), though somehow they (nor the DT) report that, weirdly. The DT has definitely been looking for every angle they can find to trash Harry - a very obvious campaign.
    You're right about about the DT on that, but I don't really care.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Advertisement

Imagine that."

You're right about about the DT on that, but I don't really care.

No, I don't either... well, not about H&M, though it's disappointing seeing the DT go completely tabloidy, given what it used to be. I genuinely did used to like it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    Can you stop using H&M please? It took me a while wondering what all this has to do with a Swedish clothing chain.
  • briantrumpet
    Since I didn't watch any of them:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/12/prince-harry-interviews-tv-appearances-in-order-of-greatness

Even those sympathetic to Harry were thrown by reports that the book “boasted” of his number of Taliban kills in Afghanistan. Prompted and endorsed by Colbert, the prince was able to present those paragraphs in a different light: a reflection on military veterans’ difficulty in living with the knowledge of killings and a plea for more understanding of this haunting to “prevent more suicides”. Harry’s receipt of a round of applause for that line represented a stunningly effective reversal of a media narrative and again showed how, as a smooth media performer, he is completely his mother’s son.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Pross said:

Can you stop using H&M please? It took me a while wondering what all this has to do with a Swedish clothing chain.

Sir,
    I believe I used H+ M
    Yours sincerely
    T.Imes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    Nah, I used H&M for the amusement.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596
    Let's go with ham.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Harkles?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I've adjusted the title.

The older I get, the better I was.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769
    Good to see Clarkson issue some weak apology statement ahead of being dropped by Amazon.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • MattFalle
    its a shame someone doesn't drop Clarkson with a kick to the go-nads.

now he's a total moujee.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I am having trouble with the justification that he might as well get paid for his viewpoint

Born into unimaginable privilege.
    Oh woe his him with his trials and tribulations
    Speaks of reconciliation and then sticks and twists the knife in.

And I

Good to see Clarkson issue some weak apology statement ahead of being dropped by Amazon.

Want to bet?

It’s more likely his contact with who wants to be a millionaire will come under review although termination is still a massive leap.As for Amazon, he’s far too popular with his fans and consequently the paying viewing Amazon customers. It’s not the bbc which is publically funded…..

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • MattFalle
    Following Harold's literary classic, looks like more toilet paper on its way

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jan/16/boris-johnson-to-publish-memoir-like-no-other-of-his-time-as-pm
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769
    slowmart said:

I am having trouble with the justification that he might as well get paid for his viewpoint

And I

Want to bet?

It’s more likely his contact with who wants to be a millionaire will come under review although termination is still a massive leap.As for Amazon, he’s far too popular with his fans and consequently the paying viewing Amazon customers. It’s not the bbc which is publically funded…..

Amazon have ended the deal with him once current commitments are complete.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

Following Harold's literary classic, looks like more toilet paper on its way

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jan/16/boris-johnson-to-publish-memoir-like-no-other-of-his-time-as-pm

I wonder if the people who paid him a big advance on his Shakespeare tome are getting twitchy yet.
  • capt_slog said:

I've adjusted the title.

I might write a response on behalf of we the serfs - ‘SpareUs’
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

slowmart said:

And I

Want to bet?

Amazon have ended the deal with him once current commitments are complete.
    Amazon have made no comment.

Current contract has 2 years left.

Plenty of time to work up a new deal and 2 year old news is exactly that.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu