Prince Harry

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    edited January 2023
    OP should add a 2 choice poll if you're royalist or republican as it would help with everyone in terms of where they're coming from.

I suspect, Kingston, if you're a royalist, you don't think he's played a blinder at all, and instead, he's taking shots at an institution that can't shoot back.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101

Jezyboy said:

I've not paid it much attention but if he came out with some really shocking stuff it'd be quite interesting.

If it's right he's made £100m out if it then who can blame him - I'd spill some beans on my family for half that.

Haven't got any sympathy for the firm or whatever they call themselves if they don't like it they should do the honourable thing and abdicate.

I wonder what the 100m would be if it was scaled in proportion to your current net worth though? It seems like he has more than enough, and he's ultimately lost and chance of reconciliation. (Although perhaps he already felt that was the case)

I try not to gaf about the situation. It's always a little sad to see families break apart like this.
    It doubles his total wealth. So quite a lot.

He’s getting sh!t from the press anyway so why not get paid for it?
    ^^^this

only an imbecile would believe the palace flunkies haven't been briefing the press to keep on hacking away at him for the last few years

he served in the army, earned his rank and didn't ask for a note from granny to avoid combat, which is a lot more than the majority of his detractors, both in the press and those hiding behind it, ever did

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • OP should add a 2 choice poll if you're royalist or republican as it would help with everyone in terms of where they're coming from.

I suspect, Kingston, if you're a royalist, you don't think he's played a blinder at all, and instead, he's taking shots at an institution that can't shoot back.

I have no interest in anything to do with them, but if you watch or listen to the news, it's pretty much unavoidable. When you have a book, podcast and TV show coming out that generates your income, that's gold.

• ddraver said:

You lot are all going to be dead but we HAVE to work out what we do with the "spares" because I (and pango and rick) really don't want to be paying Louis and Charlotte for the same stuff on 20 years (and the ones after that, and the ones after that)

Which means that we have to let them go their own way on the world and leave them alone.

Time for the country to get a grip and leave Harry alone...

I reckon by the look of him and judging from his Dad's reported fighting skills, Louis will be beating crap out of Harry before long.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited January 2023
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

So it's possible...

We just got to do it.

Loving the irony of your continued posts on the subject. 😉 I've done as you've suggested yet I still can't avoid the subject. I just want them to f-off to the quiet we all want.
    Unfortunately DMG, News International et al can't make money out of them f-ing off. And there are enough people who are interested to make it worth their while. Clem is spot on: he's going to get the attention anyway so may as well do it on his terms.
    It can be done. Anne and Edward managed it. It is what they (reportedly) want, and what we want. Just f-off. They are simply feeding trolls.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

I’d be curious if there is any group of people who are not mildly Republican who side with Harry.

I suspect the dividing line is entirely if you’re a royalist or not.

Harry is showing up how thick and petty and weird the whole royal thing is, and the royalists don’t like it and the Republicans do.

I'm pretty much agnostic when it comes to the Royals but I'm struggling to see beyond a load of hypocrisy. It's very easy to put your side of things across as 'the truth' when the other side has a policy of not commenting. Beyond the royal family side of things I doubt he is endearing himself amongst the armed forces either. I hope for his sake his marriage does hold up in the long term as it feels like he'll be very lonely later in life if it fails. It wouldn't be the first case where a family had raised concerns over a choice of partner resulting in a family rift only to be proven right later.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

So it's possible...

We just got to do it.

Loving the irony of your continued posts on the subject. 😉 I've done as you've suggested yet I still can't avoid the subject. I just want them to f-off to the quiet we all want.
    Unfortunately DMG, News International et al can't make money out of them f-ing off. And there are enough people who are interested to make it worth their while. Clem is spot on: he's going to get the attention anyway so may as well do it on his terms.
    It can be done. Anne and Edward managed it. It is what they (reportedly) want, and what we want. Just f-off. They are simply feeding trolls.
    Edward and Anne didn't sell papers as well. The media know their market.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Back in the day you'd never have caught Edward using his royal connections to do anything embarrassing for the family.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,485

Jezyboy said:

I've not paid it much attention but if he came out with some really shocking stuff it'd be quite interesting.

If it's right he's made £100m out if it then who can blame him - I'd spill some beans on my family for half that.

Haven't got any sympathy for the firm or whatever they call themselves if they don't like it they should do the honourable thing and abdicate.

I wonder what the 100m would be if it was scaled in proportion to your current net worth though? It seems like he has more than enough, and he's ultimately lost and chance of reconciliation. (Although perhaps he already felt that was the case)

I try not to gaf about the situation. It's always a little sad to see families break apart like this.

Most people don't want to sell their family
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2023

Back in the day you'd never have caught Edward using his royal connections to do anything embarrassing for the family.

There is embarrassing, and Edward was embarrassing, and then there is tearing the family apart. Reconciliation? Past that now.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

So it's possible...

We just got to do it.

Edward and Anne didn't sell papers as well. The media know their market.
    It's all clickbait. Pity that people click.
    Do nothing and the media will get bored quick enough.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Haven't heard whether there is anything about Uncle Andrew in the book? That might be interesting.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769
    Anyone who thinks this is the worst thing happening to the Royal Family while Andrew hides away being looked after has got a strange view on life.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    They seem to have ridden out the Andrew stuff.

I think their biggest problem is Charles being king - he doesn't have anything like the level of respect in the nation that the Queen had. They aren't stupid though - his profile will be kept as low as possible while we get fed good news stories about his grandchildren and that nice Prince William.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

So it's possible...

We just got to do it.

My only defence is that they don't get money from me or (I assume) immediate publishing

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • He cornered himself...
    He needs many millions to maintain his lifestyle and has no practical way to reduce the need for cash. At the same time, his best asset to achieve his goal is all the insider gossip into the royal affairs. I am sure there is more and he is burning his matches slowly... after all, they have to last him for another 50 years or so, as I can't see him being the next Elon Musk or being any good at anything that might generate large revenues.

Probably stupid to attract attention by boasting war time kills, it will cost him more in protection... I can see some extremists oiling the barrels of their guns, after that.

A bit babyish to complain about some petty domestic abuse by his brother... doesn't really fit in with the macho image of the war veteran, does it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    It'd be interesting to know how much protection he has / needs and whether that would reduce if he had a lower profile.

Maybe he should go into politics - try and become a Conservative MP - a member of the royal family as PM would be an interesting twist and it'd solve his need to pay for security.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,525

Jezyboy said:

I mean doubling your wealth, when you're probably already in the "never having to worry" bracket seems like a reasonably poor return for cutting off your entire family.

Of course, he may have felt it had already reached that stage. Certainly the bits that have been leaked and transformed into headlines suggest a full reconciliation was a long way off.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    edited January 2023
    Lol it's not a normal family is it. Being a royal is the only way he's ever earned his money. Stands to reason he makes money out of it.
  • Maybe it's a 2-3 year game to max his cash then disappear.

Either way, however hard I try to side with Harry he just comes out looking like a weak, guillable prat who has been strongly led by his wife.

On the other hand he has made no secret of hating being a member of the royal family since he was a teen.
  • If someone offered me $100m to say my brother was a bit of a bell end, I'd probably consider it.
  • pblakeney

If someone offered me $100m to say my brother was a bit of a bell end, I'd probably consider it.

I'd do it for $100.
    Veronese68 wrote:

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

crab fills in Rupert

#5milesofdeath
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376

Lol it's not a normal family is it. Being a royal is the only way he's ever earned his money. Stands to reason he makes money out of it.

err, Army in Afganistan...... Sure he got paid for that and gets or will get a service pension.
    He also inherited about £10 mill from his mum's estate. Not all of that was because she was married to Charles.
  • Pross

It'd be interesting to know how much protection he has / needs and whether that would reduce if he had a lower profile.

Maybe he should go into politics - try and become a Conservative MP - a member of the royal family as PM would be an interesting twist and it'd solve his need to pay for security.

Maybe it’s a cunning plan to reduce his security needs, make it obvious it isn’t worth kidnapping him as he’s pissed of his family so much there’s no way they’ll pay a ransom or give in to any demands!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557

If someone offered me $100m to say my brother was a bit of a bell end, I'd probably consider it.

Same here, with the added advantage of being an only child.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Probably stupid to attract attention by boasting war time kills, it will cost him more in protection... I can see some extremists oiling the barrels of their guns, after that.

This is probably his biggest mistake. He's now going to be a ginger version of Salman Rushdie.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

Posh lad with a mediocre academic history, no obvious skills or talents but a brief stint as an army officer, been to the right school and has connections. You need to be careful as he sounds exactly the type of person who might come to you for placing on a seven figure salary in the City.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Posh lad with a mediocre academic history, no obvious skills or talents but a brief stint as an army officer, been to the right school and has connections. You need to be careful as he sounds exactly the type of person who might come to you for placing on a seven figure salary in the City.
    Or he could get a job as a recruitment consultant?