The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    Pross said:

The Welsh Government’s new idea is a possible clean air zone on the M4 at Brynglas tunnels if the current 50mph limit doesn’t work at reducing pollution. I haven’t seen any details but there seems to be an obvious issue in making pollution worse with drivers diverting through residential areas to avoid the charge.

Why don't they try enforcement of the speed limits first?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

Pross said:

The Welsh Government’s new idea is a possible clean air zone on the M4 at Brynglas tunnels if the current 50mph limit doesn’t work at reducing pollution. I haven’t seen any details but there seems to be an obvious issue in making pollution worse with drivers diverting through residential areas to avoid the charge.

Not sure you'd get to the speed limit that often along that stretch with the narrow lanes and traffic!
    (I might be wrong though!)
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

Not sure you'd get to the speed limit that often along that stretch with the narrow lanes and traffic!
    (I might be wrong though!)
    Outside of rush hour definitely. I don't know when the problem is, but moving the most polluting vehicles onto the roads through Newport to rejoin at Tredegar seems shortsighted. They are also considering it for the A470 at Upper Boat which also would seem to be misguided.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Pross said:

They do, it is all on average speed cameras (that are now fully operational). Not sure how much leeway they've set though. What they ought to do is re-route that section so it doesn't go through the built-up area.

It can be a bit of a pain trying to get off the motorway on that section with all 3 lanes doing 50mph. If you come into the limit in lane 3 and need to exit before the other end of it you are relying on someone leaving a gap to cross the other lanes.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

Pross said:

They do, it is all on average speed cameras (that are now fully operational). Not sure how much leeway they've set though. What they ought to do is re-route that section so it doesn't go through the built-up area.

It can be a bit of a pain trying to get off the motorway on that section with all 3 lanes doing 50mph. If you come into the limit in lane 3 and need to exit before the other end of it you are relying on someone leaving a gap to cross the other lanes.
    Whenever it's busy the 40 mph advisory signs come on and the traffic grinds to a halt. Averaging an actual 50mph is almost impossible even if the speed limit was 70mph.

Clean air zone is inevitable.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I have no agenda against electric but I simply don’t see the timeline working out without a huge step change in infrastructure deployment.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    Stevo_666 said:
    I wonder what that will do to the price of EV's? Hopefully they might start selling for a similar price to their dinosaur squeezings counterparts.

I personally feel there is room for many technologies.
  • kingstongraham
    This means it makes even more sense to try to reduce car journeys as much as possible.
  • focuszing723

I remember we discussed this on here once, Ford Nucleon (yep)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

A bit of a glow seem's all the rage now too.
  • focuszing723
    Top it up will fuel every twenty years or so...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Anyone sold their car yet?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:
    I wonder what that will do to the price of EV's? Hopefully they might start selling for a similar price to their dinosaur squeezings counterparts.

I personally feel there is room for many technologies.
    Agree with you that there is room for multiple solutions.

Not sure what it will do to EV prices, but the best thing is this will mean that car manufacturers can continue to develop ICE technology and models.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

No but I stopped washing it to save water.
  • Stevo_666

Nope, I guess a lot of people are waiting for the advocates of public transport to lead by example.
  • Stevo_666

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HhUBdQzEqU
    OPEC making the dinosaur squeezing juice hurt even more.
  • Anyone sold their car yet?

Yes, to be fair it was a year ago, well before this thread was started.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    “The system still means the car is the most convenient way to get around but the efficiency and convenience of cars is reducing all the time, so in the future cars won’t be that convenient but if there is no appropriate alternative we will just be more inconvenienced”

The forum:

“SeLl YoUr CaR hYpOcRiT” 🤪🤪🤪
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

“The system still means the car is the most convenient way to get around but the efficiency and convenience of cars is reducing all the time, so in the future cars won’t be that convenient but if there is no appropriate alternative we will just be more inconvenienced”

The forum:

You do understand that your position is the same as "Well I would recycle but it's too difficult and I will do if they make it easier" ?

Or, "Well I would be vegan but most food isn't and it is too expensive and time consuming at the moment. I will be vegan when it's more convenient for me to be vegan." ?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

we sold our second car about 15 years ago so I guess that makes me a trendsetter.

That may not sound like a big deal but on my street the only others with a single car are widowed pensioners
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

The forum:

You do understand that your position is the same as "Well I would recycle but it's too difficult and I will do if they make it easier" ?

Or, "Well I would be vegan but most food isn't and it is too expensive and time consuming at the moment. I will be vegan when it's more convenient for me to be vegan." ?
    Absolutely. What’s the problem with that?

If you want everyone to be vegan it can’t be time consuming and expensive? It needs to be convenient and cheap. That’s just obvious
  • rick_chasey

we sold our second car about 15 years ago so I guess that makes me a trendsetter.

That may not sound like a big deal but on my street the only others with a single car are widowed pensioners
    Rather punchy message from the wife there
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

The two- (or more) car household is one of the major symptoms of the malaise created by the car industry, and why so many families can't imagine possibly managing with one car.

FWIW, my mum never drove, and dad never owned a car: we borrowed my gran's car for family holidays to exotic places like Bude and Westward Ho!
  • morstar

The forum:

Rick, I think some people are deliberately misinterpreting your position on this thread but you are also making some odd points.

The convenience of cars is reducing all the time.

That is simply not the case in my experience. I have never considered the car for solo trips where there is a parallel rail service in the last 15 years until the last 12 months.

My last two trips to London have been 100% and 50% driving due to being unable to go by rail (services not running or no remotely sensible prices).

Looked at Scotland by rail for the mrs upcoming birthday, 3 hours to Edinburgh or Glasgow normally, currently 6 hours.

I have been forced back into the car of late. And those aren’t isolated. I am close to sacking off the next planned trip to London as no tickets available.

Congestion makes car travel increasingly less ideal but the inconvenience is less than the alternatives.

The only area decreasing car convenience applies is within an urban environment.
  • kingstongraham
    I'd cycle a lot more short journeys if I didn't think there was a fair chance my bike was going to get nicked.
  • morstar
    Uni open day, put up a list of travel times to major cities.

London 3.5 hours. Which was then caveated with, “it used to be 3”.

Public transport is going backwards.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

The forum:

Rick, I think some people are deliberately misinterpreting your position on this thread but you are also making some odd points.

The convenience of cars is reducing all the time.

That is simply not the case in my experience. I have never considered the car for solo trips where there is a parallel rail service in the last 15 years until the last 12 months.

My last two trips to London have been 100% and 50% driving due to being unable to go by rail (services not running or no remotely sensible prices).

Looked at Scotland by rail for the mrs upcoming birthday, 3 hours to Edinburgh or Glasgow normally, currently 6 hours.

I have been forced back into the car of late. And those aren’t isolated. I am close to sacking off the next planned trip to London as no tickets available.

Congestion makes car travel increasingly less ideal but the inconvenience is less than the alternatives.

The only area decreasing car convenience applies is within an urban environment.
    You’re describing convenience *relative to public transport*.

In absolute terms it’s still getting less convenient just because of traffic.
  • kingstongraham
    Not much traffic this week.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Rather punchy message from the wife there
    hope for the best but plan for the worse (or vice versa)