The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

HS2 - is it better to delay, spend less per year, but the same amount overall, push the benefits further out into the future, or to borrow more per year to get it done earlier?

Maybe they see it's main benefit as being counter cyclical so it would make sense to mothball as much as possible and then crank it back up when necessary.

I would shut it down and sell the land. It would show in this year's accts as a profit
    Show your working.
    Suppose you drew a line under it and shut it down, the amount you would save in not finishing it would be greater than the origial budget estimate. In future years when you sold off land and property it would show as a profit.

Anyway it seems fairly obvious that they have decided not to build it but are anouncing it in a way to save face.
    I heard it is to be a 10 year delay.
    To my mind that means it is not going to happen.
    and no longer going up the east side, or past crewe, spur to HS1 or into London
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

HS2 - is it better to delay, spend less per year, but the same amount overall, push the benefits further out into the future, or to borrow more per year to get it done earlier?

Maybe they see it's main benefit as being counter cyclical so it would make sense to mothball as much as possible and then crank it back up when necessary.

I would shut it down and sell the land. It would show in this year's accts as a profit
    Show your working.
    Suppose you drew a line under it and shut it down, the amount you would save in not finishing it would be greater than the origial budget estimate. In future years when you sold off land and property it would show as a profit.

Anyway it seems fairly obvious that they have decided not to build it but are anouncing it in a way to save face.
    Shutting it down does not stop the spend today. Contracts have to be honoured. The expensive land in London and the Home Counties has already been built on and you are massively overestimating the value of the land purchased further north. The total value of all land purchased is just over £3bn. The contract for the rolling stock has already been signed (£2bn) so that alone will eat up any money from selling undeveloped land. The initial estimate is irrelevant to your calculation. This is a cashflow issue for a project massively impacted by inflation.
    my point is that their policy of shutting it down will save tens of billions in future years and they can claw some back.

They could scrap the high speed element and use it to link some new towns
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Show your working.

Shutting it down does not stop the spend today. Contracts have to be honoured. The expensive land in London and the Home Counties has already been built on and you are massively overestimating the value of the land purchased further north. The total value of all land purchased is just over £3bn. The contract for the rolling stock has already been signed (£2bn) so that alone will eat up any money from selling undeveloped land. The initial estimate is irrelevant to your calculation. This is a cashflow issue for a project massively impacted by inflation.
    my point is that their policy of shutting it down will save tens of billions in future years and they can claw some back.

So not a profit at all then. Just tens of bllions spent on a series of useless tunnels and viaducts.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Show your working.

I heard it is to be a 10 year delay.
    To my mind that means it is not going to happen.
    and no longer going up the east side, or past crewe, spur to HS1 or into London
    Same status as the infamous Norwegian Blue Parrot.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    How can it possibly be another 20 years before they get the reduced scope done?
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Show your working.

So not a profit at all then. Just tens of bllions spent on a series of useless tunnels and viaducts.
    crucially I said it would "show" as a profit
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Seems that Tories' new-found worries about the affordability of ULEZ expansion on the poor didn't have the desired effect.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Seems that Tories' new-found worries about the affordability of ULEZ expansion on the poor didn't have the desired effect.

Thats a bit weak. Do you think there were no other factors influencing the vote?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Stevo_666 said:

Thats a bit weak. Do you think there were no other factors influencing the vote?
    19.9% is a bit weak, they're even behind the Lib Dems.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

No idea, just amusing, in the context of opinions voiced in this thread.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not the point here, but good try ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Enjoying your ongoing attempts to dictate what "the point" of all discussions is. Especially when it's one someone else started.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    The active travel budget for England, set at £710 million over 4 years in 2021 has now been cut by £380 million with only £100 million now available to cover the next 2 years. Ricktopia is feeling an ever more distant dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    I think at this point we all know the government is going to bimble it's way to a dead end and defer the dates.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

The active travel budget for England, set at £710 million over 4 years in 2021 has now been cut by £380 million with only £100 million now available to cover the next 2 years. Ricktopia is feeling an ever more distant dream.

Tories arent gonna get us where we need to be. Not yet anyway.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Enjoying your ongoing attempts to dictate what "the point" of all discussions is. Especially when it's one someone else started.
    I enjoy your attempts to get 'pet troll' status. Sadly for you, the competition is hotting up :smile:
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

Tories arent gonna get us where we need to be. Not yet anyway.
    Not when they will almost certainly be in opposition in the next parliament, no.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

This is true, there are many other reasons to vote against them.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Wonder if Brian will be annoyed with you for agreeing that what he posted is a bit weak?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Wonder if Brian will be annoyed with you for agreeing that what he posted is a bit weak?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why should I be annoyed? I just thought it was amusing.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why should I be annoyed? I just thought it was amusing.
    I thought you'd say that.
  • rjsterry
    I think you are mistaken in thinking this is a party political point.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

I think you are mistaken in thinking this is a party political point.

I'm not that bothered either way, but some people seem to think so.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo will be annoyed when he discovers that whoever is using his account has agreed the Conservatives are generally hopeless.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo will be annoyed when he discovers that whoever is using his account has agreed the Conservatives are generally hopeless.
    Thanks for your valuable contribution...
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Think I touched a nerve there
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, you're just getting a bit tedious these days with the minor trolling instead of saying something interesting.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, you're just getting a bit tedious these days with the minor trolling instead of saying something interesting.
    Definitely touched a nerve.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Definitely touched a nerve.
    I rest my case, troll boy.