The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

It's obviously an overwhelmingly popular policy.

Obviously the Tories' mistake was not to make their pro-car policy even stronger... rip out bike infrastructure, take subsidies away from public transport to lower the cost of private motoring, taxing cyclists and walkers to use pavements or roads...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

It's obviously an overwhelmingly popular policy.

Obviously the Tories' mistake was not to make their pro-car policy even stronger... rip out bike infrastructure, take subsidies away from public transport to lower the cost of private motoring, taxing cyclists and walkers to use pavements or roads...
    Pavements? That's valuable road space being taken up by people who don't display registration plates or pay road tax. Bin them all.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    The anti ulez lot ... Seem to spend a lot of time online convincing themselves that they are right and always claim to hold a very clear majority view. Then get spanked at elections. Sort of reminds me of the Corbynites.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Jezyboy said:

The anti ulez lot ... Seem to spend a lot of time online convincing themselves that they are right and always claim to hold a very clear majority view. Then get spanked at elections. Sort of reminds me of the Corbynites.

Do you think the results of a vote purely on adopting ULEZ would be the same as the results of the local council elections?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Do you think Stevo would be making that point if the conservatives had won?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

How is that relevant to my point?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

It may come as a shock but people post all sorts, sometimes even things unrelated to one of your "points".
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

It may come as a shock but people post all sorts, sometimes even things unrelated to one of your "points".
    You can post what you want, but it's irrelevant.
  • pangolin

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    You could have at least tried to look like you were addressing the point ;)
  • Stevo_666
    I'm interested to hear what Jezyboy has to say in reply given that Pango has nothing to say on it :)
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Do you think the results of a vote purely on adopting ULEZ would be the same as the results of the local council elections?
    Who knows, either ULEZ isn't as much of an issue as some are making out...or the Tories are total poison, or somewhere between the two.
  • kingstongraham
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Who knows, either ULEZ isn't as much of an issue as some are making out...or the Tories are total poison, or somewhere between the two.
    It's both.

Even more so for LTNs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Who knew that saving the planet might be inconvenient?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

That beautifully ends this thread in 9 words.
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

It's not a big issue for a lot of people, but those it does affect have a fair point, especially as they tend to be the less well off.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

That beautifully ends this thread in 9 words.
    It can be less inconvenient, which is what I’m driving at, so to speak.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    It'll have to be a damned sight more inconvenient to make any meaningful impact.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure. But the vociferous objections to my suggestions makes it clear we’re not there yet.

The case for monster investment in public transport is quite clear. Just people currently only know poor public transport so don’t really know what it’s like to have great stuff.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

Sure. But the vociferous objections to my suggestions makes it clear we’re not there yet.

The case for monster investment in public transport is quite clear. Just people currently only know poor public transport so don’t really know what it’s like to have great stuff.

Surprisingly, the loathsome Peter Hitchens agrees with you.

• rick_chasey
    Well yes it’s obvious to everyone who uses public transport.

It’s shambolic.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

My theory is that most people don't use public transport because it is public and not because of the quality.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

My theory is that most people don't use public transport because it is public and not because of the quality.
    I think the two go hand in hand. Too many people don’t know how to behave responsibly in public which can make travelling on public transport less pleasant than it needs to be (it applies to air and ferry travel too but at least the ferry has more space to escape).
  • rick_chasey

My experience in London does not align with this theory.
  • TheBigBean

Have you notice the popularity of uber?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

There's plenty of snobbery about buses as evidenced on this very thread. The same people used to think nothing of jamming their face in someone else's armpit on a crowded train, so 🤷🏻‍♂️
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham

When the bus reliably goes from the end of our road to where people want to go, it is used.
  • TheBigBean

When the bus reliably goes from the end of our road to where people want to go, it is used.
    By everyone?
  • kingstongraham

By everyone?
    Of course not. Is that how you are judging success?
  • TheBigBean

By everyone?
    Of course not. Is that how you are judging success?
    I don't think the existence of a bus and some passengers is enough evidence to suggest people would choose public transport if it is available. My definition of success would probably be almost everyone.