The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Congestion on roads is caused by junctions not lack of road space. Away from junction the thing that causes a delay is some sort of obstruction along the lines of a collision or breakdown.

Or cars parked on the road making it too narrow for two modern cars to pass each other.
    To an extent, that would come down to an obstruction. Although you can also argue it keeps vehicle speeds low in an urban environment. The bigger problem is that many drivers feel causing such inconvenience to motorists is a bad thing and it is better to park partially, or even fully, on the footway instead even when this often still means two cars can't pass.
    It is not an obstruction in the manner of a collision or breakdown, it is just the way urban roads work.
    To have your car parked on your drive, the house/street needs to have been designed less densely than otherwise to accommodate the space for the cars, thus being space inefficient. That all adds up.

Clearly you can have a basement garage for example, but then again, that's a flat or a house that otherwise is given away to vehicles.

Space is a premium where a lot of people live and it will continue to become more sought after as the urbanisation continues.
    It's already been mentioned a while back that we are somewhere close to 85% urbanised already in the UK so there's not a huge amount of scope to make it more so.
    All of the UK population growth is in urban areas and rural population continues to decline, so this is just incorrect. Countrybollox even 😀
    As the inventor of Leftiebollox, there maybe some trademark infringement issue here. My point is there is not a massive scope to shift that split given urbanisation level as are already very high.
    I will have to come up with a novel spelling. Countryballs perhaps. Sure, we are unlikely to reach a 100/0 split, but there's nothing to stop the urban population continuing to grow. People are still on average moving from the country to towns for the same reasons they always have.
    And there will also be an outward movement as people seek better quality of life etc.

On a personal level I'm not too unhappy about cramming ever more people into rabbit hutch land rather than the nice bits outside of Ricktopia :smile:
    There's some, but mostly retirees selling up. Average age where my Mum lives is >60 (like the people featured on ETTC). It's delightful for a few days but you can see why young people move out - limited career opportunity and high property values due to folk down from London. You mentioned quality of life, but that's only really possible if you inherit or your employment is city-based - like yourself. For most people they move to the city to improve their quality of life.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Congestion on roads is caused by junctions not lack of road space. Away from junction the thing that causes a delay is some sort of obstruction along the lines of a collision or breakdown.

Or cars parked on the road making it too narrow for two modern cars to pass each other.
    To an extent, that would come down to an obstruction. Although you can also argue it keeps vehicle speeds low in an urban environment. The bigger problem is that many drivers feel causing such inconvenience to motorists is a bad thing and it is better to park partially, or even fully, on the footway instead even when this often still means two cars can't pass.
    It is not an obstruction in the manner of a collision or breakdown, it is just the way urban roads work.
    To have your car parked on your drive, the house/street needs to have been designed less densely than otherwise to accommodate the space for the cars, thus being space inefficient. That all adds up.

Clearly you can have a basement garage for example, but then again, that's a flat or a house that otherwise is given away to vehicles.

Space is a premium where a lot of people live and it will continue to become more sought after as the urbanisation continues.
    It's already been mentioned a while back that we are somewhere close to 85% urbanised already in the UK so there's not a huge amount of scope to make it more so.
    All of the UK population growth is in urban areas and rural population continues to decline, so this is just incorrect. Countrybollox even 😀
    As the inventor of Leftiebollox, there maybe some trademark infringement issue here. My point is there is not a massive scope to shift that split given urbanisation level as are already very high.
    I will have to come up with a novel spelling. Countryballs perhaps. Sure, we are unlikely to reach a 100/0 split, but there's nothing to stop the urban population continuing to grow. People are still on average moving from the country to towns for the same reasons they always have.
    And there will also be an outward movement as people seek better quality of life etc.

On a personal level I'm not too unhappy about cramming ever more people into rabbit hutch land rather than the nice bits outside of Ricktopia :smile:
    There's some, but mostly retirees selling up. Average age where my Mum lives is >60 (like the people featured on ETTC). It's delightful for a few days but you can see why young people move out - limited career opportunity and high property values due to folk down from London. You mentioned quality of life, but that's only really possible if you inherit or your employment is city-based - like yourself. For most people they move to the city to improve their quality of life.
    There some truth in that, and there is an age/generational aspect to the movements, although there are enough young families in our immediate area to have a decent sized primary school in the village. Far from everyone commutes into London or is a retiree.

I think the point is that there is movement both ways.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I still feel that at least part of the solution should be making more effort to move the jobs to areas where there is more scope for expansion. It can certainly work, Salford post BBC relocation is a good example. Those that refused to move as it had to remain based in London have been replaced by new talent and the area is thriving. You could probably do the same on a smaller scale around historic county towns etc. especially with modern communications and in the post-pandemic age.

Most modern cities have formed around historic docks, that doesn't mean they are still the best place for 21st century business. Those who insist that the jobs have to be in London because that's where everything is are no different from those who insist they have to drive because that's the way it is.
    There have been a lot of studies done on the importance of critical mass of employees.

Saying that I would turn the HoP into a museum and shift the fvckers up North as that would take the civil servants and gravy train with them. Soemwhere justto the right of Birmingham should see the several cities benefit.

For those arguing it is not the North I am assuming long term the Scots are leaving and that any further up the hills get in the way of East-West travel
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    Career opportunities are different, not limited, unless your sole reason to work is to do long hours and be a top rate tax payer invariably working for a large employer.
    Quality of life is way better away from a medium or large city. Less pollution, less time wasted commuting, more space etc, etc.
    Lots of people with young families want and do escape city living, it's not just those at or just after retirement. Sure that may be to a small town rather than a village, and of course village properties tend to command a premium.
    Teenagers would generally prefer to be in a larger town, possibly a small city because there's more going on, but for pre-teens it makes no difference.
  • Stevo_666

Career opportunities are different, not limited, unless your sole reason to work is to do long hours and be a top rate tax payer invariably working for a large employer.
    Quality of life is way better away from a medium or large city. Less pollution, less time wasted commuting, more space etc, etc.
    Lots of people with young families want and do escape city living, it's not just those at or just after retirement. Sure that may be to a small town rather than a village, and of course village properties tend to command a premium.
    Teenagers would generally prefer to be in a larger town, possibly a small city because there's more going on, but for pre-teens it makes no difference.

I guess the metropolitan view is that village populations only comprise the following three sets of people:
    - Curtain twitching pensioners
    - Rich types who work in the City
    - Poor people who want to work in the City
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Stevo_666 said:

I guess the metropolitan view is that village populations only comprise the following three sets of people:
    You left out:
    - People with no ambition

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

I don't agree with this bit as I think there are some reasonable differences. That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, but they are different.

I think pollution is the elephant in the room particularly for those with young children living in big cities.

Big cities tend to make it easier to do things like swimming lessons. My nieces didn't learn to swim for ages, because the nearest swimming pool was so far away whereas, at the time, I had about five within 500m.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I think this misses the point tbh.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

You left out:
    - People with no ambition

:smile:
  • Dorset_Boy

I don't agree with this bit as I think there are some reasonable differences. That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, but they are different.

I think pollution is the elephant in the room particularly for those with young children living in big cities.

Big cities tend to make it easier to do things like swimming lessons. My nieces didn't learn to swim for ages, because the nearest swimming pool was so far away whereas, at the time, I had about five within 500m.

Not sure that is true. OK there aren't 5 pools wthin 500 m, but within a 25 minute drive (yes that's how we HAVE to get around) radius of my house, which is in a village midway between two small towns, I can think of 4 pools offering kids swimming lessons, 2 thriving rugby clubs with good minis sections, about 6 football clubs, a similar number of cricket clubs. So hardly difficult to give them things to participate in.
  • Dorset_Boy

Which point is it missing Rick?
    Whilst global urbanisation will continue to rise as in poorer countries people will continue to move from working in the fields to living in larger towns and cities, I am unconvinced there is much more urbanisation to go in the UK. To qualify, I don't really consider living in a town of say under 15,000 people urbanisation particularly, though clearly it's not rural or village living either.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

This depends almost entirely on what sector you work in. A close friend (degree qualified, management experience) is currently running three jobs to afford to rent near Keswick.

Also depends what you mean by quality of life. While nobody likes pollution, not everyone wants space or quiet/isolation. Obviously there is variation, but the overall trend is that the rural population is falling in spite of the overall population going up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

Whilst global urbanisation will continue to rise as in poorer countries people will continue to move from working in the fields to living in larger towns and cities, I am unconvinced there is much more urbanisation to go in the UK. To qualify, I don't really consider living in a town of say under 15,000 people urbanisation particularly, though clearly it's not rural or village living either.
    I mean saying that different places suit different people is not quite the insight you think it is. And the data around urbanisation is pretty irrefutable, so you can be unconvinced if you want, but I can't help you there.

The challenge is that what people want, lifestyle wise is not always provided for for the economic conditions. UK has since the 1930s suffered with regional inequality between the South East and the rest. That has, like it or not, fueled the population growth of London to what, 10 million?

Until recently (see the tory thread on London's productivity problem), is that earnings have only grown since 2008 in London, and in fact have *shrunk* in the rest of the UK. That's going to affect the UK and we ought to recognise that.

So while some lifestyles are more preferable than others (for different people) that will shape the decisions people make.

I don't think declaring that one way of living is better than another is especially helpful, but we need to recognise that those options on where to live are limited by the socio-economic factors of the housing market and the economic conditions.

I'd probably much more enjoy working in the 'burbs of the same town/city I live in, but I am too interested in financial success and the associated comfort that brings. Especially so in a country where I cannot rely on public services; I need to be able to fend for myself and my family financially.

That, I'm sure, is the rationale behind a lot of people; so it's not a simple as "live a simplier life in the regions". There's a lot more going on.

The interesting bit therefore is not that some people prefer different lifestyles; it's the factors that limit and impact people's lifestyle decision making options...

• TheBigBean
    edited March 2023

Not sure that is true. OK there aren't 5 pools wthin 500 m, but within a 25 minute drive (yes that's how we HAVE to get around) radius of my house, which is in a village midway between two small towns, I can think of 4 pools offering kids swimming lessons, 2 thriving rugby clubs with good minis sections, about 6 football clubs, a similar number of cricket clubs. So hardly difficult to give them things to participate in.
    My point is that it is different not that there is nothing to.

Also, having to drive 25 mins for anything sounds like a nightmare to me, but I appreciate others think differently.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I mean saying that different places suit different people is not quite the insight you think it is. And the data around urbanisation is pretty irrefutable, so you can be unconvinced if you want, but I can't help you there.

The challenge is that what people want, lifestyle wise is not always provided for for the economic conditions. UK has since the 1930s suffered with regional inequality between the South East and the rest. That has, like it or not, fueled the population growth of London to what, 10 million?

Until recently (see the tory thread on London's productivity problem), is that earnings have only grown since 2008 in London, and in fact have *shrunk* in the rest of the UK. That's going to affect the UK and we ought to recognise that.

So while some lifestyles are more preferable than others (for different people) that will shape the decisions people make.

I don't think declaring that one way of living is better than another is especially helpful, but we need to recognise that those options on where to live are limited by the socio-economic factors of the housing market and the economic conditions.

I'd probably much more enjoy working in the 'burbs of the same town/city I live in, but I am too interested in financial success and the associated comfort that brings. Especially so in a country where I cannot rely on public services; I need to be able to fend for myself and my family financially.

That, I'm sure, is the rationale behind a lot of people; so it's not a simple as "live a simplier life in the regions". There's a lot more going on.

The interesting bit therefore is not that some people prefer different lifestyles; it's the factors that limit and impact people's lifestyle decision making options...

I think what people don't get is that London is a regional hub for some industries and if you work in one of them then your earnings will be a multiple of what you would get in the provinces working on a national level.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Fun update, that's close to my heart.

The bridge about 150m from my house will soon be closed to private cars, after a council voted in favour 2 nights ago.

It's a little heated, as this head of internal headhunting and recruitment as ASDA has found:

Ruh, roh...

Think she's overplayed the IWD hand, but I imagine he'll get a telling off from his boss...

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    On one hand it doesn't seem right to get a Tweet from a private account and then dig out the guys LinkedIn information to report him to his company but on the other hand people need to accept there are consequences to their 'right to free speech' and he seems a bit of a d!ck. Definitely overdid the IWD bit though, he's abusing her as a Councillor not as a woman. Politics probably isn't for you if you're that thin skinned though.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Pross said:

On one hand it doesn't seem right to get a Tweet from a private account and then dig out the guys LinkedIn information to report him to his company but on the other hand people need to accept there are consequences to their 'right to free speech' and he seems a bit of a d!ck. Definitely overdid the IWD bit though, he's abusing her as a Councillor not as a woman. Politics probably isn't for you if you're that thin skinned though.

His twitter feed is just constant insults. Quite funny but an odd thing to do if you have a job like that. https://twitter.com/keir_macintosh/with_replies
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

His twitter feed is just constant insults. Quite funny but an odd thing to do if you have a job like that. https://twitter.com/keir_macintosh/with_replies
    Yeah, I mean, get a pseudonym so you can slag people off willy nilly ;)
  • Pross
    He seems very vocal on this one issue, needs to up his insult game as 'muppet' is doing too much heavy lifting. Doesn't seem very bright but then he works in recruitment... :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

He seems very vocal on this one issue, needs to up his insult game as 'muppet' is doing too much heavy lifting. Doesn't seem very bright but then he works in recruitment... :wink:

It's all relative ;)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Pross said:

I dunno, scrolling through a few I can see

muppet
    scumbag
    toad
    tosspot
    cretin
    alleged racist
    trumpet
    cockwomble

He has some good range but I agree muppet does seem to be a favourite
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    I'm not sure what IWD has to do with it - XR Dave is his main target.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

It's a very trivial thing. The bridge was shut over covid. It adds, at most, 5 minutes to a journey, maybe 10 if you're in bad traffic, but then the traffic over the bridge would slow you about the same then anyway.

Thing is, the bridge is in a part of town that was the rough bit until about 8 years ago when all the 30 something professionals who have young kids moved in (like yours truly), and they make up the majority of residents now.

So there's a very vocal minority who lived there for years who are very angry about all the local shops being replaced with bakeries, cafes and bike shops.

They don't tend to cycle as much, and see the pro-cycling, low traffic stuff as a class thing, with the new middle class yuppies with their bakfiets f*cking sh!t up for them. Double points for the yuppies that only use their part of Cambridge as "dormitory" because they work in London.

By contrast, the local middle class young families hate the narrow road and bridge being used by cars that drive well over the 20 limit, all the traffic and pollution, when all they want to do is take tarquin out to their recital or for a coffee on their bike.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Is she thin skinned or playing the game?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

muppet
    scumbag
    toad
    tosspot
    cretin
    alleged racist
    trumpet
    cockwomble

Trumpet? Not sure if I'm insulted or flattered.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926

pangolin said:

Pross said:

muppet
    scumbag
    toad
    tosspot
    cretin
    alleged racist
    trumpet
    cockwomble

It might be to do with the three buttons element, you never hear of pianists being disparaged.
  • Pross

pangolin said:

Pross said:

muppet
    scumbag
    toad
    tosspot
    cretin
    alleged racist
    trumpet
    cockwomble

It might be to do with the three buttons element, you never hear of pianists being disparaged.
    All a pianist has to do is press the right key - far more basic than trying to get all possible notes over several octaves from 3 valves.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

muppet
    scumbag
    toad
    tosspot
    cretin
    alleged racist
    trumpet
    cockwomble

All a pianist has to do is press the right key - far more basic than trying to get all possible notes over several octaves from 3 valves.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    HS2 - is it better to delay, spend less per year, but the same amount overall, push the benefits further out into the future, or to borrow more per year to get it done earlier?