The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Diesel cars produce particulates. This is covered up with the DPFs, which have limited capacity. They work great when the car is tested as new, but after that....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

Diesel cars produce particulates. This is covered up with the DPFs, which have limited capacity. They work great when the car is tested as new, but after that....

They get tested at MOTs every year.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Meh. The point is that it's naive to think you can uninvent the car. Or reengineer a country to avoid the need or attraction of having one.

I think this is is the key point which explain why Ricks fantasy transport world will not happen in our lifetimes. The changes required are so huge and so expensive for something that most people don't want to do that it's a non-runner.

Add to that the obvious limitations of any public transport system and cars are here to stay.
    If you look at how quickly the car changed travel, you should be able to see how quickly other travel can come.
    All I need is something that can take me from where I am now to where I want to go at a time of my choosing and within reason accommodate whatever I want to take (such a boot full of stuff). Plus no extra charges from up to 4 fellow passengers and I'm allowed to drive if I want. Sort that and I'll sign up.
    I like the no "extra" charges bit - gives the opportunity for charging for any inconvenience the car use places on other people. Also no mention of being able to get there at any particular speed, which is good.

On the DLR, you can sit at the front and pretend to drive - would that help with the "allowed to drive" bit? You could bring a special hat.
    Whatever. I feel I have explained why Rick's idea is the proverbial 'pie in the sky'. :smile:

Sadly I think that Rick (and I) are in a tiny minority, there are far more people that agree with you. Why should you change the way you live your life for something as ephemeral as saving the planet? Which is why the earth will not be habitable soon, I estimate about 100 - 200 years. We'll all be dead, so why should we care?
    If you assume that me getting on a bus from time to time will save the planet then you're more of an optimist than me.
    In a nutshell, this is why this planet is finished
    It may be finished but that very likely won't be the reason.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

Quick poll highlighted in another thread but I don't want a cross threading tangent.
    How many on here are directly affected and will have to pay ULEZ on a regular basis?

Nope. My car, OH's car and daughter's car are all compliant. Until they move the goalposts on what is compliant, at least.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    One of two or three actually living in the Zone. 1 compliant car.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    pblakeney said:

Quick poll highlighted in another thread but I don't want a cross threading tangent.
    How many on here are directly affected and will have to pay ULEZ on a regular basis?

Right. Small sample, and short time, but zero. Mountain range out of a molehill for political point scoring. Additional results more than welcome.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stevo_666 said:
    If you thought the Lib Dems were in favour of this expansion happening now, you (understandably) haven't been paying attention: https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-are/what-london-assembly-does/london-assembly-members/publications-caroline-pidgeon/publication-caroline-pidgeon-ulez-expansion-consultation-response-liberal-democrat-group

From a year ago - "While the Liberal Democrat Group on the London Assembly welcomes this public consultation and principally supports the expansion of the Ultra Low Emission Zone to cover the current Greater London boundary it is clear that these proposals need to be delivered alongside a comprehensive package of investment in public transport, particularly in the outer London boroughs, and a wide-ranging scrappage scheme with mobility credits. We also would urge you to delay your proposed start date to give Londoners the time and support to change vehicles and their travel."
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:
    If you thought the Lib Dems were in favour of this expansion happening now, you (understandably) haven't been paying attention: https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-are/what-london-assembly-does/london-assembly-members/publications-caroline-pidgeon/publication-caroline-pidgeon-ulez-expansion-consultation-response-liberal-democrat-group

From a year ago - "While the Liberal Democrat Group on the London Assembly welcomes this public consultation and principally supports the expansion of the Ultra Low Emission Zone to cover the current Greater London boundary it is clear that these proposals need to be delivered alongside a comprehensive package of investment in public transport, particularly in the outer London boroughs, and a wide-ranging scrappage scheme with mobility credits. We also would urge you to delay your proposed start date to give Londoners the time and support to change vehicles and their travel."
    Clearly not, though I have to say I have tended to focus on the views of the major parties rather than the fringe parties.

Makes you wonder who does support it, eh?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:
    Yep, they are being opportunist tw*ts increasingly often.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    I would be impressed if anyone can come up with a justification for Bridge Road on this map:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Opportunity to turn safely at the roudabout with Hook Road for vehicles not wanting to enter the zone? Either that of Sadiq Khan has a family member that lives on that road.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Pross said:

Opportunity to turn safely at the roudabout with Hook Road for vehicles not wanting to enter the zone? Either that of Sadiq Khan has a family member that lives on that road.

Was about to suggest a councellor or similar living there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    And for those who are Interested there is a database showing how many ULEZ cameras in each are have been damaged or removed. While the total across London is around a quarter of all cameras, looks like my old stamping ground of Bromley is up for 'top prize' at the moment with some parts of the borough recording a 100% hit rate.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/31/ulez-cameras-vandalism-expanded-quarter-sadiq-khan/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Yay vandalism 🙄
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537

Yay vandalism 🙄

Well, Ian Duncan Smith approves, so that's fine. Much quicker than actually getting stuff done through politics. Let's just forget it was Tory policy too. So they created and insisted on a policy, now advocate vandalism to stop it happening. How very Modern Tory.
  • Stevo_666
    Not sure anyone has done a survey of the political views of those doing the vandalising.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    Ultra low education zoo?
  • kingstongraham
    Cars only need to be caught by one.

I'd rather us taxpayers didn't have the extra expense.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited September 2023
    It is a strange spur of Kingston borough into surrey (and therefore of the ulez) and i think bridge road has a central reserve that stops you turning off, maybe scc didnt allow a sign before you are trapped on the dual carriageway bit towards Hook rd?

I would be impressed if anyone can come up with a justification for Bridge Road on this map:

• My phone jut alerted me to this on GBNews for some reason:
    Ulez 'hack' can save drivers hundreds of pounds a year after controversial expansion

Can anyone guess what it is?
  • rick_chasey
    Driving a car that meets standards?
  • rick_chasey
    It’s easiest understood as “if you want to help poison the air, we’re going to charge you to do so”
  • Driving a car that meets standards?

Yup.
  • Driving a car that meets standards?

Yup.

That's similar to the hack to beat speeding cameras.
  • The amount of diesel pollution on some new trains is 13 times higher than on one of central London’s busiest roads, researchers found.

Passengers travelling onboard a Great Western Railway carriage running from London to Bristol, procured by the government as part of a £5.7bn scheme, were subject to huge spikes in nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution when it switched to diesel from electric.

NO2 levels on the two-year-old bi-mode Hitachi trains peaked at more than 13 times the average recorded on the traffic-clogged Marylebone Road in central London, according to a study by the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB).

The Department for Transport (DfT) said ministers had commissioned more research after the “concerning findings”, as well as an immediate review of air quality standards and regulations for trains.

The Hitachi-built bi-modes were part of a £5.7bn government procurement of trains to run on the Great Western mainline and East Coast, with a controversial design that twinned diesel and electric power. The trains were also recently pulled out of service after cracks were discovered in the
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/16/pollution-on-some-new-uk-trains-13-times-one-of-londons-busiest-roads
  • Driving any kind of car with just one passenger will emit much more CO2e than getting the train. But it turns out, driving a fully-packed LEV and EV actually results in lower emissions per person than travelling by train.
    https://www.pawprint.eco/eco-blog/green-myth-busting-train-vs-driving
    Interesting.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Headline figures for the A320 neo put it as having lower CO2 per mile than the car with 4 people though. So the takehome message is we should all get planes but make sure we take all our friends and family on all our journeys...
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023

The amount of diesel pollution on some new trains is 13 times higher than on one of central London’s busiest roads, researchers found.

Passengers travelling onboard a Great Western Railway carriage running from London to Bristol, procured by the government as part of a £5.7bn scheme, were subject to huge spikes in nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution when it switched to diesel from electric.

NO2 levels on the two-year-old bi-mode Hitachi trains peaked at more than 13 times the average recorded on the traffic-clogged Marylebone Road in central London, according to a study by the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB).

The Department for Transport (DfT) said ministers had commissioned more research after the “concerning findings”, as well as an immediate review of air quality standards and regulations for trains.

The Hitachi-built bi-modes were part of a £5.7bn government procurement of trains to run on the Great Western mainline and East Coast, with a controversial design that twinned diesel and electric power. The trains were also recently pulled out of service after cracks were discovered in the
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/16/pollution-on-some-new-uk-trains-13-times-one-of-londons-busiest-roads
    Really glad the govt stayed the course on rail electricif….oh
  • Stevo_666
    Looks like Sadiq is using the hack of using mobile ULEZ cameras as for some reason he isn't confident that the fixed the fixed camera network is up to the job.