The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Looks like Sadiq is using the hack of using mobile ULEZ cameras as for some reason he isn't confident that the fixed the fixed camera network is up to the job.

Sneaky Sadiq, doing what he said he would do before implementation.

That does feel like the same level of hack.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Driving a car that meets standards?

Yup.

That's similar to the hack to beat speeding cameras.
    Slowing down when you pass them?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like Sadiq is using the hack of using mobile ULEZ cameras as for some reason he isn't confident that the fixed the fixed camera network is up to the job.

Yep, seems so

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, seems so

Also for some reason, the vans will be clearly marked. Makes no sense, but another concession to those who want to chance it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Stevo’s not a fan of law and order
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    edited September 2023

The amount of diesel pollution on some new trains is 13 times higher than on one of central London’s busiest roads, researchers found.

Passengers travelling onboard a Great Western Railway carriage running from London to Bristol, procured by the government as part of a £5.7bn scheme, were subject to huge spikes in nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution when it switched to diesel from electric.

NO2 levels on the two-year-old bi-mode Hitachi trains peaked at more than 13 times the average recorded on the traffic-clogged Marylebone Road in central London, according to a study by the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB).

The Department for Transport (DfT) said ministers had commissioned more research after the “concerning findings”, as well as an immediate review of air quality standards and regulations for trains.

The Hitachi-built bi-modes were part of a £5.7bn government procurement of trains to run on the Great Western mainline and East Coast, with a controversial design that twinned diesel and electric power. The trains were also recently pulled out of service after cracks were discovered in the
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/16/pollution-on-some-new-uk-trains-13-times-one-of-londons-busiest-roads
    I thought they ran on electric between Cardiff and London and only used diesel for the stretch west of Cardiff (where the Government ditched the funding for electrifying the rest of the line). Could be wrong though.

Edit - the report does cover that. Seems odd comparing levels on a train for a short part of a journey with those on a road 24/7 though, not quite sure what point they are trying to make.
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2023

Oh I dunno. Although I can understand why so many are motivated to get around such an unfair tax on the a section of the motoring public. Especially given the evidence that the claimed benefits are marginal in outer London.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, seems so

Also for some reason, the vans will be clearly marked. Makes no sense, but another concession to those who want to chance it.
    It appears that the fixed cameras are clearly marked as well now.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Oh I dunno. Although I can understand why so many are motivated to get around such an unfair tax on the a section of the motoring public. Especially given the evidence that the claimed benefits are marginal in outer London.

So it's OK to follow just the laws one agrees with. Glad we've got that clear.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

Seems entirely fair that it only affects the people who haven't bothered their arses to upgrade.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

So it's OK to follow just the laws one agrees with. Glad we've got that clear.
    That's a matter for those concerned. Although as it has been pointed out on here before, sometimes n the past protest has been necessary to overturn what people see as bad laws. I guess you don't recognise that here because you happen to agree with this particular bad 'un.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Seems entirely fair that it only affects the people who haven't bothered their arses to upgrade.
    More likely to be the case that they can't afford to upgrade, as has been pointed out several times.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

More likely to be the case that they can't afford to upgrade, as has been pointed out several times.
    Flog their old diesel, take the grant and buy a similar age petrol? That’s what I’d have done with my 10 year old non-compliant high mileage diesel worth around £1500. Pretty sure I could get a similar level of petrol car. Not many will have pre-2009 petrols and £2k would probably allow an upgrade on most that are older.
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh well. What's unfair about that? Lots of things I can't afford. Don't think I need to be let off the rules everyone else has to follow.

Funny that nobody seems to know any of these people too poor to upgrade but not too poor to have a car in the first place.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Flog their old diesel, take the grant and buy a similar age petrol? That’s what I’d have done with my 10 year old non-compliant high mileage diesel worth around £1500. Pretty sure I could get a similar level of petrol car. Not many will have pre-2009 petrols and £2k would probably allow an upgrade on most that are older.
    Sounds like a good idea until you realise you can't get finance on a car older than 10 years and a 2012 VW polo is over £6k.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh well. What's unfair about that? Lots of things I can't afford. Don't think I need to be let off the rules everyone else has to follow.

Funny that nobody seems to know any of these people too poor to upgrade but not too poor to have a car in the first place.
    See mullys' post above. Its easy to sit there and pass judgment, but some really cannot afford to upgrade but need their car to get places. The financial aspect is more of an issue now that non compliant cars are worth very little while compliant cars at the formerly cheaper end of the market are now commanding a premium.
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

See mullys' post above. Its easy to sit there and pass judgment, but some really cannot afford to upgrade but need their car to get places. The financial aspect is more of an issue now that non compliant cars are worth very little while compliant cars at the formerly cheaper end of the market are now commanding a premium.

I'm starting to think you must have been in favour of the Poll Tax protests, with your concern over what you perceive as an unfair tax for those who can't afford to replace their cars.
  • Pross
    edited September 2023
    mully79 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sounds like a good idea until you realise you can't get finance on a car older than 10 years and a 2012 VW polo is over £6k.
    Nice Ford Fiesta 2010 petrol less than £2k, one of many on Autotrader.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308271255924?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&make=Ford&model=Fiesta&page=1&postcode=SA1 5QF&price-to=2000&year-from=2009&fromsra
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm starting to think you must have been in favour of the Poll Tax protests, with your concern over what you perceive as an unfair tax for those who can't afford to replace their cars.
    Think of it as a transition over to the winning side.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mully79
    Pross said:

mully79 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308271255924?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&make=Ford&model=Fiesta&page=1&postcode=SA1 5QF&price-to=2000&year-from=2009&fromsra
    That's a diesel, they're all cheap now. + Huge mileage.
    I've just sold a newer fiesta for £200 scrap as it fell to bits.
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm well aware. Our old car was worth scrap value when we upgraded. Now there's a grant available to upgrade or if they're really poor it won't be an issue as they will be managing without a car anyway.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    mully79 said:

Pross said:

mully79 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Weird, I chucked petrol in the search!
  • mully79
    What were really saying is trade in your 35000 mile 2015 mercedes A class diesel for a French hatchback that's been flogged to death for 125000 miles and get no change.

That will be my pensioner parents decision when the Manchester Caz finally happens.
  • Stevo_666
    mully79 said:

Pross said:

mully79 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Cheap because its non-compliant. Thanks to Pross for demonstrating my point for me :smile:
  • This has turned into the middle class wanker thread.

You'll all be saying these people should have studied harder next.
  • They should have studied harder.

Next!
  • They should have studied harder.

Next!

Then they would have been able to afford nice things.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

They should have studied harder.

Next!

True, but then everything would be left dirty/unfixed.
    Society depends on those who do the undesirable low skilled, low paid work.

(That said, I acknowledge where you were coming from. 😉)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

They should have studied harder.

Next!

True, but then everything would be left dirty/unfixed.
    Society depends on those who do the undesirable low skilled, low paid work.

(That said, I acknowledge where you were coming from. 😉)
    There are Gods, and clods.

https://youtu.be/mtlxvwXzVTo?si=z5I7c8pe86EcYLzS