The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• Pound for pound I don't think there's a team consistently performs as well as Croatia

What have you been smoking?
    Qualified 7 times out of 8, losing finalists once and third place once. Not bad for a country of under 4 million.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    edited December 2022
    Tashman said:

Terrible punditry. It was a big moment and all those sour men could bang on about is a f@cking photo.

They have Hawkeye in the stadium and a sensor literally in the ball.

Isn't that only within the goal though? All other line decisions are at the mercy of the officials.
    Not this world cup; that's why the off-side VAR decisions have been so quick.

Sensor in the ball knows when it's been kicked and the hawkeye is measuring the ball and the players so they know exactly when it's happening.

No need for the video. That's why we get those graphics for the offsides.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    edited December 2022

Tashman said:

Terrible punditry. It was a big moment and all those sour men could bang on about is a f@cking photo.

Isn't that only within the goal though? All other line decisions are at the mercy of the officials.

Sensor in the ball knows when it's been kicked and the hawkeye is measuring the ball and the players so they know exactly when it's happening.

No need for the video.
    offside has nothing to do with the ball position though so that makes no sense.

ah the extra lines caught me out there. Didn't know that. I just thought someone had a new graphics package they were playing with
  • rick_chasey
    Tashman said:

Tashman said:

No need for the video.
    offside has nothing to do with the ball position though so that makes no sense
    Everything is measured. And of course offside is to do with the ball - how else do they know when it's kicked? Everything is measured on the pitch. The players and the ball.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

No need for the video.
    offside has nothing to do with the ball position though so that makes no sense
    Everything is measured. And of course offside is to do with the ball - how else do they know when it's kicked? Everything is measured on the pitch. The players and the ball.
    Yes it is to do with the ball, the point at which it is kicked, not where it is on the pitch. If you read my edit then you'll see I didn't realise they had incorporated more tech into the measurements and sensors for this. They should just bin the assistant referees if they're not going to trust them with any of these calls :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Pound for pound I don't think there's a team consistently performs as well as Croatia

Is there a smaller country with a consistently better record?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pound for pound I don't think there's a team consistently performs as well as Croatia

If Uruguay get out of the group today, they'd have a claim on that.
  • rick_chasey

Pound for pound I don't think there's a team consistently performs as well as Croatia

They've been pretty average all tournament. Unless you mean in world cups generally?

• tailwindhome

They've been pretty average all tournament. Unless you mean in world cups generally?

The latter.

Though in this tournament they're also a country of 4 million, in the last 16, having come through the group stages unbeaten

So that's ok
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

If Uruguay get out of the group today, they'd have a claim on that.
    Fair shout.
    Must confess my own ignorance there, didn't know Uruguay had such a small population. I imagined it was bigger
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2022
    Can't believe the difference after half time in the Spain - Japan game. Never has "a game of two halves" been more apt. Spain's passing game can be mesmerising at times but can also be a bit boring to watch when they consistently pass it sideways or backwards. I know it is all about keeping possession, tiring the opposition and if you have the ball then the opponents can't hurt you, but I do feel they lack a bit of end product on occasion and always seem to want to walk the ball into the net. This was clear last night when they were chasing the game towards the end and had relatively little to offer. Still a fantastic team but not looking as invincible as I thought they might be. Brazil are the only traditional "big" team not to have a bit of fright so far in the group stages but still have Cameroon to negotiate tonight.

Portugal could be dark horses.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • crescent said:

Can't believe the difference after half time in the Spain - Japan game. Never has "a game of two halves" been more apt. Spain's passing game can be mesmerising at times but can also be a bit boring to watch when they consistently pass it sideways or backwards. I know it is all about keeping possession, tiring the opposition and if you have the ball then the opponents can't hurt you, but I do feel they lack a bit of end product on occasion and always seem to want to walk the ball into the net. This was clear last night when they were chasing the game towards the end and had relatively little to offer. Still a fantastic team but not looking as invincible as I thought they might be. Brazil are the only traditional "big" team not to have a bit of fright so far in the group stages but still have Cameroon to negotiate tonight.

Tiki-Taki should be slow, slow, quick, quick slow which is great when you have Xavi/Iniesta. Without them the passing can become the point rather than the means to an end
  • Tashman said:

This isn't right for line calls, the sensor in the ball is only used for offside.

The VAR official saw that it hadn't crossed the line with his eyes.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

Uruguay.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Have Uruguay got a better record since Croatia became an independent football nation?

I'd have thought Croatia pipped them but I haven't looked at Uruguay's record in their South American competition. Going way back obviously Uruguay have won a couple of WCs.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

crescent said:

Tiki-Taki should be slow, slow, quick, quick slow which is great when you have Xavi/Iniesta. Without them the passing can become the point rather than the means to an end
    The problem with one touch football is when the players take two touches.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928

Have Uruguay got a better record since Croatia became an independent football nation?

I'd have thought Croatia pipped them but I haven't looked at Uruguay's record in their South American competition. Going way back obviously Uruguay have won a couple of WCs.

I think since Croatia became independent that have been a lot more successful than Uruguay. Urguguay's greatest achievements were a long time ago, certainly at World Cups.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    15 times Coppa America champions, including 2 in the 80s, once in the 90s and in 2011.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay_national_football_team
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Croatia have been a fairly consistent presence in the later stages of tournaments since they became a team in their own right back in the mid 90s. They always seem to have a talisman figure (Suker, Modric) who can turn a match for them and generally have a strong possession game. I have a bit of a soft spot for them as they tend to be very entertaining to watch.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Speaking of Uruguay, hope they get stuffed this afternoon by Ghana.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    gonna be spicy!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Sensible option would be to leave Suarez on the bench.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    seanoconn said:

Speaking of Uruguay, hope they get stuffed this afternoon by Ghana.

Presumably that's because of Hannibal the Cannibal's previous handball?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

boooo - We, want, drama!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited December 2022

seanoconn said:

boooo - We, want, drama!
    Uruguay sent Suarez out to do the interviews before this match - I don't think they're shying away from it.

He said it wasn't his fault they missed the penalty and he has no regrets.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Tashman said:

This isn't right for line calls, the sensor in the ball is only used for offside.

Didn't they use the sensor to decide that Ronaldo's goal wasn't his? If they can tell no deviation took place mid-air in the box then they can tell if it crossed a line.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

Didn't they use the sensor to decide that Ronaldo's goal wasn't his? If they can tell no deviation took place mid-air in the box then they can tell if it crossed a line.
    there are sensors in the ball to tell when it is touched
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Suarez on from the start. Plan: invite retaliation tackles, get a Ghanian sent off, 11 v 10, win.
  • pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

Should have told him they were using ultra edge.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

I'd say it's substantially easier to detect a sudden acceleration than where the ball exactly is, to mm accuracy, after accounting for the ball's shape.