The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Uruguay, kings of shithousery.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    C'mon Korea (S)
  • rick_chasey
    What a finale.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Got to love seeing Suarez suffer and not able to do a thing about it.
  • rick_chasey
    Pleased to see Uruguay go.

Leaving with good grace as ever.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Favourites all fallible, World Cup anyone’s for the taking.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • tailwindhome
    That draw seems really well balanced. There's no easy section
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    All the "big" teams (usual contenders) have now been beaten, and in some cases eliminated, by "lesser" teams - coupon busters , if you will. No one will want to be facing England I wouldn't have thought. It is definitely wide open. More so than I can remember in previous years
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • tailwindhome
    edited December 2022
    538 probabilities after the group stages

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    This is getting interesting
  • tailwindhome
    Netherlands get past USA with relative ease.

Look a solid team
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,922
    Argentina continue to be a bunch of cheats and sadly Mr Gullible has the whistle.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    World Cup Episode 5
    The Giants Strike Back
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Almost goal of the tournament then by Australia, but superb final tackle.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Argies through to face Netherlands but Australia made it hard for them and were a little unlucky.
    and will the commentators stop having wet dreams about Messi? His goal was nothing special. He missed chances that were similar to Aussie misses but his were supreme efforts.
  • rick_chasey
    Think Holland have a decent chance against Argentina
  • Dorset_Boy

Think Holland have a decent chance against Argentina

Close Messi down and they don't have much.
    Really hope Netherlands dump them out.
  • mrb123

Argies through to face Netherlands but Australia made it hard for them and were a little unlucky.
    and will the commentators stop having wet dreams about Messi? His goal was nothing special. He missed chances that were similar to Aussie misses but his were supreme efforts.

1000 games. Almost 800 goals. Should have had at least 2 assists in that second half. Clearly past his best but still mesmerising at times.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    edited December 2022
    Thought Argentina looked comfortable until that fluke Aussie goal - very Poland like defensive performance from the Aussies. Can't see beyond France or Brazil for the tournament though hoping England can prove me wrong - if not them maybe Croatia or the Dutch. (edit - as in who I'd like to win it - I'm not tipping them)
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    That tackle was superb to deny the Aussies an equaliser. Would have been one of the great World Cup goals if he’d scored.
  • mrb123

Thought Argentina looked comfortable until that fluke Aussie goal - very Poland like defensive performance from the Aussies. Can't see beyond France or Brazil for the tournament though hoping England can prove me wrong - if not them maybe Croatia or the Dutch. (edit - as in who I'd like to win it - I'm not tipping them)

As a Messi fan (see comment above) the dream - barring England success - would be Argentina v Portugal final and Leo handing the sourpuss Ronaldo his arse on a plate and thereby ending the debate once and for all.
  • tailwindhome
    I don't know who this ITV commentator is, but he sounds like Ned Boutling when he gets excited

• Quick, accurate passes, through the lines, one nil. When they do that they will carve any team wide open. Seems to have swung the momentum, thankfully!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Interesting,

When the Germans crash out, we become the clinically efficient ones....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    But France.
  • Bellingham is majestic. Lovely player to watch.
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,368
    edited December 2022
    France are massively reliant on Mbappe. To be fair he produces so that is no bad thing but I don't think their squad is anywhere near as strong as 2018. England are genuinely dangerous across all of the attacking players. Think it is a 50/50 game, assuming we win tonight.

Bellingham actually reminds me more of the great German midfielders, presumably because of his development there. Has a touch of Effenberg and Beckenbauer about him. I think him and Mbappe will take over the mantle of world's best post Messi/Ronaldo.
  • That last one was a great team goal...freed from desire...
  • mrb123
    Kane may be slow but he passes like Glenn Hoddle. Very impressive.